Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

is MP in SE even possible?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spets, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jonesskill Trainee Engineer

Right now you can have a 64 core xeon with 128Gigs of Ram + SSD, the server will have SIM issues if people play like the game are made to play, so i have sure that will need to be code improvements.

I can see in my corei5: server don't use all the power you have, not even get closer - but players have severe sim speed even with optimised server settings, like i say: core have some peaks of 20% usage when players have 0.4 - 0.3 SIM Speed (Severe lag) when the sim is 1.0 the CPU usage is 12% or above.

2. Malware Master Engineer

One of us is misunderstanding something. The hard limits apply only per individual grid, it doesn't count up with multiple ships, and any grid that even touches up near this limit is unfeasible for server use. The block limits, which does count up with multiple shipd, are fully configurable, and can even be switched off completely. That is a choice the server owners must make. Player count or player build amount. Can't have both because the server can only take so many builds before Simspeed is affected. All this would be true even with a perfect version of the game. Computers can only do so much, doesn't matter how many cores you have. Like I said things must communicate, it's not feasible to thread separate everything.

There's plenty of stuff to complain about in SE, better to stick to what is actually realistic :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

no - i have an proffessional 12 core xeon workstation as main work PC at home (doing seriouse 3D stuff with maya/zBrush etc. ) and if i have running the server i get him 6 cores and 6 cores to my client, and have no unexpected problems ..... you need an good PC (and here not only cpu power count, I/O capability and overall performance - an thing casual PCs most time are not so the "bright" , as this dont sell nice as Ghz scorres and is expansive ..) and the right server administrator AND a realistic view on the limits of the engine ....

Regards

4. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Because that "reasonable challenge" is not something that everyone wants. I for one don't want it.

5. Malware Master Engineer

Also because it's highly likely that these things will be dealt with in the upcoming survival update, which implies gameplay update, whether or not there will be a major change. Personally I doubt there will be too great changes to gameplay, but I do expect something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

I "realy" hope not like the past 2 "Major" updates ........................................
    (things no one have demand are delivered - and the bugfixes all cry for are left for "next time" ... but i expect exactly this...)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

In a lot of ways, what you said reminds me of how Garry's Mod used to be. Back in 2007 if anyone spawned anything too complex on a 20-player sandbox server, the server would crap itself.

Nowadays, it's hard to crap-out a sandbox server in GMod because hardware has caught up and the game/engine has been optimized a lot over the years. Most of the crashes and freezes are from bugs in the gamemodes/mods themselves.

Ironically, GMod also uses Havok (or at least it used to a few years ago).

EDIT: Decided to look the last part up for lols. Here's the result:

8. Echillion Senior Engineer

Here's something to get your collective heads around - I started a easy start space game the other day to check out the changes in 1.186.2 and I got the "Too Many Blocks In The World" warning via the shift+F1 menu on loading of the world!. Now bare in mind this world only has the lone survivor platform base,the blue ship,Red ship and the small grid fighter,miner,welder ships in it! and I got too many blocks in a default map? and to add insult to injury this was in single player! Unless Keen pull their proverbial thumb out the dream of a stable MP experience with even 16 players on it is DEAD!. This game needs a viable and stable MP asap not J.J Bay updates that make players go oh shiny! and then finding out Keens nerfing features and game performance and not documenting it!. I got in to SE by watching SAGE,LSG and Tazoo's survival series on YT because it had multiplayer and now virtually all the friends I made playing SE wont even touch it with a barge pole because of the screw ups with MP and to be completely honest "Survival update" or not without a working stable MP this game is doomed especially if/when Dual Universe launches later this year? Especially when Xocliw is posting Keen wolves that look like something out of No Mans Lie on the official Keen discord!. So the question remains - Is SE going to give the other games a run for their money with a stable useable multiplayer or is going to turn into another No Mans Lie and be singleplayer only? P.S sorry for the rant and screenshots can be provided if my word isnt good enough?.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Malware Master Engineer

Oh for f**ks sake people, stop reading more into posts than is there! All I saw was some goofing around. Meant nothing more than "ha ha".

10. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

The first thing i disable is the stupid F1 warnings ....................( and still on 1.185 .....)
    And yea - the MP still worse - i can understand all user that come to/Start with SE AFTER the server side controll switch in multiplayer that he say -> it is going better - true, after this time it is going realy (even in sometimes ultra slow motion ..) better with bugs and performance .. as it was not possible to get more worse ...
    BUT before this switch we had an MUCH better performance as still nowdays - MUCH less bugs as still nowdays - so as i have wrote 2 years ago on this switch -> it was the wrong direction ....
    And i have managed to get an stable (even this is debetable :p ) server experience for the few players that are left to willing to doing this .... but i have in reality no big hopes of any update in the even distant future that fix the MP problems or Survival problems ...
    Both are connected - in SP if an bug happen and you get energy for free (battery self refilling) or oxygene for free this dont matter - you play SP and you maybe get angry over the bug and waste the "cheaty resources" for your sake - or let it - here it is not dramatic ... the same is going with destruction from grids - in SP if this happen you get angry and switch to SpaceMaster mode and repair it or spawn it again ...
    But foreseen from an performant MP - in MP this "bugs" killing anything that get survival serious and not only as an joke ...
    With this amount of bugs in for survival essential elements (resorces managment) - this will never be an "prefered" survival game, as actual it is more an gambling where get at next from the players an bonus (free resouces) or an malus (grid/block destruction) and here i dont say anything over waste of time (reconnects from desyncs/time to build stuff twice ..) that is in MP survival an additional value .... and here i have not writen over the piston/rotor problems ......................................
    To fix this realy - you need an ground rewrite of the code, get rid of the old havoc engine (it is an briliant physic engine for ragdoll or simple interactions, but not for this amount of physic objects ...)- but this will not happen - no enoung money for this left on SE ...
    So i hope only the MP get anything more stable before keen give up on it and slowly buries SE .... (SE is still not more on the radar of the actual players ...)

Regards

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.