Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Is there still no real joystick support?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sea_Kerman, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Sea_Kerman Trainee Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Never has been any proper support for joysticks in a game where you are flying a ship and most likely never will be at this point.

3. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

It's especially frustrating since every flight seat in the game, modded or not, has not one, but TWO JOYSTICKS! What ever happened to the good old days when MOST PC games supported joysticks to the point that Windows shipped with the drivers?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

The answer is multiplatform developing. Todays developers on PC design for multi platform release which means features fall by the wayside as most platforms other than PC have various coding restrictions like file size etc. PC gaming is dying a faster and faster death. Only have to take note how many times you see comments for games like"Plays better with a controller (Xbox/Play station)" . No I am not a PC elitist I own the latest Xbox and Play station. To me becuase I have been gaming since the days of using punchcards consoles just do not stack up to PCs and it's killing PC gaming. Crap control mapping on PCs, worse graphics etc etc. Any how I digress.

Just no room for extras like proper Joystick support anymore. The last game on PC I played with my Steel built Hotas Joystick other than Elite dangerous was Il2. Good luck getting that on a console. Saltiness over! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Errr... no, I think you're overreaching. It is simply not a priority for Keen, and let's face it, they have a hard enough time delivering on what they've promised.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Lynnux Junior Engineer

The first plane here in the workshop being controlled by aerodynamic surfaces (first Digis Aerodynamic Wings mod, then reworked to use Takeshis Plane Parts mod) and a flight control system requiring a joystick had a mere 13 downloads including the creator.
    Vehicles had analogue steering via the joystick once (don't know if this is still the case) which allowed better control (more accuracy and less flipping). Seems like noone noticed.
    And btw. Takeshi even tries to change his mod so subgrids are not causing rotational forces anymore. Exactly that makes plane mentioned above not working anymore. You could say that even modders don't want joysticks anymore ;-)
    Any other creation works better with mouse control.

So why the hell should KSH waste time on stuff only 13 of how many thousand players are interested in ?

Other games like Star Citizen are nerfing joysticks compared to the mouse not to give a few players an advantage over the majority of other players. The statement that console controllers or mice are working better is bullshit. Otherwise pilots would fly real planes with a mouse or a controller...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jemccro Trainee Engineer

I would love joystick support. When I really think about it though, it is the throttle I would get the most good out of. Setting thrust decrease/increase on the toolbar takes-up space and makes that annoying noise when used. It is also slow to use as compared to my joystick.

8. Lynnux Junior Engineer

Yep, and analogue rudder would be nice, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm old school = fan of joystick. But I would prefer the bugged wheels will be fixed first. Bugged ? yes, if you change parameters like strength frequently e.g. with a PB then the steering angle will be reset = vehicle doesn't steer.

9. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

Well yes if you like I did overreach. I made a point about something I believe that applies in general in today's gaming world. I wasn't trying to point out Keen's ability to not be able to do or not do something. I don't like to get personal and would rather speak in general terms. :)