Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Is this game dead?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hester74, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Hester74 Trainee Engineer

I am interested in this game but it appears to be dead. I saw only 148 players on steam. So, is this game dead?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

no it isnt dead. its still in active development, which you can see in the changelog section. a lot of people, including myself, are waiting till a couple of extra things have been added, looking at you mechanical blocks. since this has been shown off before the initial release. which was.. what, 1.5-2.5 year ago?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fluzard Trainee Engineer

The game is so much NOT dead that I would say that now the game is better than ever, the updates more interesting than ever and the players craving for the game more numerous than ever.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Bumber Senior Engineer

It's just sleeping.

People are probably wary about one of the updates accidentally wiping all inventories. Not sure how many people were affected by it before it was quickly hotfixed, but it's cause enough to be cautious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Definitely not dead. Growing very fast lately. Old big YouTubers have come back to play, a couple new fairly big YTers have been spending time there too.

I'm a modder and have seen new people subscribing to my stuff every day. It's a pretty exciting time for the game.

Servers are still difficult, because the netcode isn't fully optimized yet. At most you can get about 15-20 people on a world before it starts slowing down. That's WAY better than ever before. And at least a few servers always have life on them. But it is hard to sustain a lot of life if you only can make room for a little over a dozen players. People will come, log on, feel lag, move on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Bogus Trainee Engineer

Hi there ;D
    Hmm .. for month I go in the game and have very much fun ;D I see that Deepflame make a very great job and he makes in little steps more better ;D I love this game ;D I can't wait when comes the major update ;D So play together and have more fun ;D

Sorry for my bad englisch ;D

Have a nice Day ;D

7. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

It WAS dead...very dead indeed. No real content, no real direction, and it was little more than a tech concept with no idea what it was actually meant tio be in terms of it being a game.

Then there was a change in personnel, and a new lead developer put in place ( Deepflame ) who had some very good ideas about how he wanted things to be, what the game was going to be, and how the existing conecpt could be fleshed out. That has done a lot to revive the game and bring more people back to it. I personally had looked at the game a while back and couldn't see the point. Nice to muck about and build a castle...but...what do you do? When I gave it another look more recently, I could see how the thing had changed.

LOTS of things had been revised, game performance had got better and there were many new features and most importantly there was a coherent direction showing through that had been lacking before. I still think the game has a long way to go in terms of features, and general activity..... but it's a lot easier to invest time in a game which you can see developing...and that's why I now have a copy and am coming up on my first 100 hours in game.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. xphoenixxx Junior Engineer

Works well for small faction wars now too with the whole territory/map/fast travel thing. It really needs small groups of enthusiasts who know each other to play the same server really.

9. Cetric Junior Engineer

Honestly, I don't understand questions of two types:

(1) "I am interested in this game. Is it worth playing, should I buy it?"
    (2) "I like this game, but it appears to be dead. Should I buy it?"

Don't such people realize that, if you multiply their undecided manner by a factor x, by depriving the game of their support they contribute to its risk to become less than it could have been, or even to its failure?
    If you really are interested and like the game, you buy it. That is your first and most important step to give support, as it is money which keeps the oven in heat.
    The question is especially incomprehensible, while the game is on sale and ridiculously cheap. You spend more money on pizzas, I presume, without asking such questions. I tell you, you won't ever get more money value measurable in time you spend therein, developing your creativity, in comparison to any other game you may have known before.
    Instead of hesitating, you should invite your friends to buy it as well, if you wonder about servers being "dead" (for me anyway no argument as I am the single player type), so this is your part in bringing this to life and keeping it active what you ask for.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I can understand people being concerned about spending money on games that are potentially confined to the 'failed' pile. Steam has a lot of those. Games which bombed and are no longer supported. Not everyone follows the game closely, and to be fair....I largely ignored the ME forums as I was heavily into SE only.

I started to pay attention when I saw what was going on, and read enough to want to buy the game. Then I got involved with a couple of online servers, and I am enjoying the game. I also pay a lot more attention to teh Tuesday updates for ME as well...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

i basicly... follow the ME updates... i ignore the changelog forums of SE, i just randomly see my phone lightup and be like "oh yeh... its patchmas for SE, watch the vid. do a shrug... and continue with my life. with ME updates, im generally happier than with SE, for me SE has lost its charm.

12. Cetric Junior Engineer

I bought both KEEN masterworks-in-the-making in january 2016 and went head-on deep into Medieval Engineers first. Got captivated and did not get to install Space Engineers until last summer. Now I try to distribute my free time between the two evenly, yet have to confess lately SE has me tighter in grip. Already have a bad conscience (towards ME)! Its about 350 hrs versus 400 hrs ingame time spent. Actually I come from the strategic and empire building game genres as prime interest. Or historic topics in general. Have seen none of this sort of sandbox construction before (missed minecraft, which looked too clumsy to me for trying out) - here I feel perfectly at home. NO DEAD GAME FOR ME!
    Oh, and not much time for my Europa Universalis IV, Crusader Kings II or what else remarkable in their respective niches is around ...
    --- Automerge ---
    It's because you are an infidel filled up with unholy apple-pie. Once you repent your sins and beg for forgiveness by tasting heavenly cheese cake every day, your eyes will be opened to see new wonders in Space Engineers as well! :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

how about no :woot:

14. Bumber Senior Engineer

Supporting doesn't necessarily lead to a finished product. People get burned by early access all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cetric Junior Engineer

Not supporting more likely leads to an unfinished product. As the money runs out one day when not enough purchases come in. It's simple math. Therefore, we have to support actively what we find worth our support, in order to make it more likely succeed. Even if they don't need an extra income which we - the customers and audience - may produce, it still can result in some goodies in the game which previously did not fit into the financing plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

As a game artist you sir, make me happy... Sorta...you still preach blasphemous beliefs.

17. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

As others have said, ME is coming back to life. The game was left in an awful state and had 0 or close to 0 people playing on servers. The game is now under new management and is getting some much needed love. I hear very few negative comments from people who play the game and now that streamers are starting to play it more and more, it has nowhere to go but up :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sanfard Apprentice Engineer

I guess I'm one of the rare few who actually had fun playing this game before the planet update was released.

19. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

i actually did have fun in there... but the amount of issues that were there, was making me sad... and the lack of stuff being added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Harrekin Master Engineer

I was in a castle you built earlier with trees growing up through it and cracking the stone.

Was cool, made it seem old and abandoned.

21. Fluzard Trainee Engineer

Oh don't worry, i see in this forum a lot of old players Which loved the game since the beginning. To tell you, I already thought it was great to be able to cut trees and Scrape the rock and then retrieve the elements one by one to build houses with an incredibly ridiculous block diversity, so imagine now how much I love this game !

22. DanielCoffey Trainee Engineer

Hello folks - I would like to chip in by saying it was actually Weemcast's Youtube channel that brought ME to my attention last week. After a few days of catching up with his two small series on ME and also watching a few other Youtube LP authors, I am happy to join the community.

I received a definite feel from looking at ME that I last got in the early days of Minecraft (pre-enchanting/ender/alchemy) in that it seems to be a wonderfully deep sandbox world building game with (thankfully) only light PvP. I look forward to recreating that sense of exploration as I try to find the "perfect" spot for the building that is in my head. Folks certainly seem to come up with lots of "I wonder if..." constructions that look great.

Here's to hoping that one day a Linux version of ME becomes available as I hate having to hop over to Win10 for the odd few indie titles in my library that are holding out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

First of all welcome to the community.
    Second... I kinda fear we wont see a linux version of either ME or SE, simply because the engine seems to be built around windows apis and the like. I do certainly hope linux will be supported by more and more games and software in the future.

24. Diche Bach Trainee Engineer

Bought this one (and the Space Eng one) on a Steam sale recently and installed it, and fired it up very briefly, but haven't really played it. My buddies in Empyrion Galactic Survival tell me Space Eng is exceptionally detailed and engrossing, but that unfortunately performance with big complex ships goes into the red on most servers. Seems like the sort of thing that can be eventually optimized though . .

So re: Medieval Engineers: is there at present anything like a "Singleplayer Campaign" or survival mode? I see some of the documentation make reference to exploring, and building outposts/communities as well as to "savage barbarian hordes" (which sounds like computer-opponents which spawn from the sites in the landscape?), but it remains unclear to me how much of this is fleshed out.

If it is just a building simulator, without anything like NPC populations, NPC soldiers, NPC enemies, and a rudimentary ecology/economy, then I'd have to say I'm not really interested in playing yet and will wait for those sorts of things to get added (if ever). Ideally, a game like this should be the basis for a game like Civilization, but that is a tall order and best to think in terms of iterative steps in that direction I suppose.

25. Bumber Senior Engineer

No campaign yet. There's a survival mode with a food bar. Barbarians spawn out of thin air, not sites.

26. Diche Bach Trainee Engineer

Ah thanks. Kinda what I was afraid of. Guess I'll let it sit and wait.

27. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

ME is on a good way to become a really fun game. But there are some features missing which includes
    -more complex flora and fauna, (maybe weather and biomes??)
    -mechanical blocks
    -better hostile NPC´s
    -a proper fighting system
    -some game balances (e.g. carts)

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. CanOmer Junior Engineer

and water: lakes, seas and oceans.

29. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Well you have to agree that we will most likely never see water in this game. But what I would really like to see is voxel structural integrity.

30. bpbill Trainee Engineer

I also purchased ME recently even though it's still early Access and I had promised myself never to by an EA game again.

I'm having fun playing around in single player mode, experimenting with some ideas and getting frustrated with some building problems, but ultimately it's become my current timesink.

I would like to explore the idea of making modifications to blocks but I am a bit frightened by the whole process being a modding noob and I would like to see multiplayer server systems flushed out a bit (although don't ask me how) to provide a multiplayer community with the ability to foster positive contributions and eliminate the toxic side of MP that comes with any MP community.