Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Issue with the usual Rotor for Large to Small grid merge

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Azumazi, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Azumazi Trainee Engineer

Hello everyone, I got this game about 3 weeks ago and have run into an issue.

I know from guides on using the Large rotor, removing the head and spawning a small rotor head to combine it to a small grid. The issue I have is that I have a vessel that requires 2 large grids to join to a small grid. I did a search and did not find anything pertaining to this as everyone seems to be asking the original issue; however, is there a way currently as of this date a method to attach a ROTOR to a Head set to a grid and not a Head to a Rotor. This seems to be the only way I can think of to do what I need to do. If there is a mod or a fix there someone knows to get around this I would be open to that as well.

Long story short, I'm making a Missile Corvette that uses Large Rocketlaunchers on a small grid ship.

I did finally manage to get around this issue by literally doing the most outlandish thing such as create a new large grid vehicle with the rotor on it, a jigzaw puzzle array of thrusters to drive it up to the head and using the attach feature.

It would be nice if someone knows another way so that on my next ship I will not need to do this again.

2. Harlequin Otterdog Trainee Engineer

I remember doing it by building the rotor heads on the small ship first. Then the rocket launchers and rotors on a fixed powered large grid. Pretty much flying the small ship up to them one at a time. Using attach to lock them together and cutting the rocket launcher free of the large grid. I did it in creative mode as part of a attack ship experiment for wrecking pirate bases on the easy start earth.

Edit: While thinking about it I realized small ship merge blocks maybe useful for this as well. By attaching one to the small grid head of the large grid rotor and one on the small ship. With some sort of offset so you can get rid of the small ship merge blocks once done. I'm going to go test this and take pictures.

Edit: Ok that doesn't work, things violently explode when trying to do a merge block on top of a rotor. Upside is that I've given my monthly offering quota to clang.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  3. Sinbad Senior Engineer

build off of one rotor head towards the second rotor (which should have its head removed) build until the subgrid is as close to the second rotor as you can get. then place a rotor head (from the G menu, not the button in the system menu) to the subgrid so its spindle is inside the rotor. rotor heads don't have collision when being placed, and once placed the spindle doesn't have collision. then go into the system menu for the second rotor and click on the attach button. note that if the rotors are facing each other, or away from each other this will likely make some weird physics until you adjust the offsets. for small to small sub to small use 7mm offsets (control click and enter it manualy) for large to large sub to large set the offsets to the minimum value. I'm not sure what large to small sub to large would be, you will have to expeiiment.

4. Carrion Senior Engineer

the offset you need is .008 for BOTH rotors.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.