Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

its impossible to build rovers now!!

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Phillip_Biseth, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Phillip_Biseth Trainee Engineer

i was going to play survival, and the thing I often do first is to build a basic rover, but now it's impossible, now that landing grars don't lock!

i even tried later to weld up the landing gear and put a control panel, then lock the gear, guess what, it didn't lock. tried to put a battery (with power), and it didn't work either! good luck from now on with rovers in survival!

plz fix!!

video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102263/Space Engineers 27.12.2016 21.18.53.mp4

2. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

Its possible, just harder. Make base (frame) H shaped and build on top of it (any shape will work as long it prevent from tilting).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Until it's fixed, you can build a large grid rotor, grind off its head, go into the control panel and click "add small head" then "safety lock override", then you can build a rover off that.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Phillip_Biseth Trainee Engineer

thanks for those tips, at least it'll be easier! ♪~ (ᐛ)

5. BENIGNVANILLA Trainee Engineer

I spent hours battling this the other night (I am new to the game) and then I discovered this is a bug in the current release. Here is how I solved it...
    1. I build a stable platform in/on the ground
    2. I build a small ship foot/leg and drop it on the platform, then fully weld it.
    3. Exit the game totally (save first)
    4. When you re-enter, the foot/leg will be locked to the platform
    5. I then add a block to the top of the leg, and one or two back from that horizontally.
    6. I then add one more block horizontally and color it red so I can see it well.
    7. I then add and then build my ship there
    When I am all done, I grind the red block and the ship is now separate from this locked foot/leg which is still there. So now I can reuse the foot/leg already locked to make another ship.

Hope this helps.

6. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

Building it from a rotor has an extra advantage!
    If you build it from a powered grid and you build a battery you can recharge it and by the time you have finished your ship the battery is probably recharged.

• Late Late x 1
  7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

oh yeah the small ship landing gears not working thing....

i built the basic frame then stuck pistons on it to "jack" it up so wheels could be added then all the other fiddly bits.

8. Regn Trainee Engineer

Build a large vehicle that extends from your station, then grind the light armor block that connects the vehicle to your station when you're done. But, before you do, adjust the suspension and strength, and tap "w" for adjustments to take effect. That way, you do not have to worry about 1.) the vehicle crashing towards the ground, becoming damaged, and 2.) the vehicle flipping over. If you then have large batteries, you can use merge blocks and an aircraft with landing gear to move the batteries over and connect them to your vehicle, as you cannot grind batteries for spare parts.

That said, the easiest solution is to find uranium ore and ignore batteries, and vehicles all together.

9. odizzido Junior Engineer

Vehicles are much more power efficient. Is love to use them but they're so unreliable. I've had my vehicle explode like a bomb while stationary. Aircraft never give me those issues.

10. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Before the beta patch this is how I used to reuse the battereis from the lander, since the patch merge blocks have become as useful as indicators on a BMW. :)

11. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

Since the last patch I have been forced to use the rotor to build stuff, and I doubt I will go back now.

I now use a rotor with a small projector on top of it for remaking old stuff or just stick small blocks direct to it. On top of this I have also plumbed in some large welders to my storage cans of the base. No more do I need to weld manually or make multiple trips to weld up my ships, I just place the unwelded parts, step back, and hit the button to start the welders. Just make sure you stand well back when you turn them on.

12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

how do you find using rotors to move?
    I've never used rotors for wheel based movement but to me it appears like alot of clicking and some use of timer blocks.

13. MC_Hamster Trainee Engineer

Large and small ship connectors will also interconnect.. I like to build a vertical piston into the floor of a base hangar, with a conveyor elbow on top and connector sitting horizontally. You can then drop some light armor blocks in front of it, a small reactor and then a connector on top. Once they're welded up, the small-ship connector has power and can bind with the one from your base, which means it shares power from there (and if you have the piston connected up to your base storage, your base inventory is available there, too!) So it's being powered through the other connector, which means you can de-fuel the little reactor and grind it and your initial support blocks away, leaving just the connector, and build out from there.

Bonus points is that your vehicle now has a docking point you can use to refuel/transfer cargo, and that when it's connected and locked you can raise and lower the piston to work on your new vehicle as if it's on a garage hoist. Very useful.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.