Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Joint effort

Discussion in 'General' started by Nibs_1983, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

Have many ideas for blocks for SE but have no experience texturing although I can use blender. Anyone interested in joining forces and collaborating with me?

Current ideas include thin walled blocks to make smaller usable rooms, elevators and a planetary combustion engine with accompanying objects e.g. fuel tanks, smaller wheels, light clusters, tracks etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Unsure if pictures worked so have made the main picture of two dormitories I've been working on as profile pic.
    --- Automerge ---
    Read up how to upload pics so here goes, fingers crossed.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    So this is state of play and theory for the elevators.
    [​IMG]
    So this is the entry block. Pretty simple. A thin wall u-shape block with 2 sets of slide action, bi-leaf doors.

[​IMG]
    Next is the actual elevator car. A static object with small collision model that'll attach to the shaft mechanism.

[​IMG]
    The lift shaft aka piston. These will come in a variety of sizes from as little as 10 metres to a staggering 77.5 metres allowing a 15 floor object with average height between floors being 2 squares. The stops would be programmed into the block so could stop anywhere along route a maximum of four times (unless there's a way to have more than 4 buttons?).

[​IMG]
    So this is what it would look like when all together. It would also require a timer block and a programmable block. Theory being the code (written by any kind individuals that would like to offer) would set the distance the shaft (piston) needs to travel to once a call button is activated. Upon arrival the doors open for the specific floor allowing passenger to disembark. Would like it to if possible travel at varying speeds depending upon distance needed to travel.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. Harrekin Master Engineer

The problem with an elevator like that is the pistons tend to randomly freak out and explode, I dont think many people would be willing to risk their ships by putting one on theirs.

I couldnt even fly my 1mill kg ship the other day because whenever I unlocked my landing gears the extendable docking arm would have an epileptic seizure with the piston head teleporting between two points and swinging the ship around like it was a toothpick.

3. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

So what workaround or alternative method would you suggest. I was thinking more for a space station rather than a ship but I can't imagine either being a problem once a fix is made to sort out the pistons.
    I couldn't think of something more I'd rather have available. Imagine the amount of space a staircase would take up to reach the same distance, let alone the time taken to traverse said distance. I can think of several times where the pistons on SE have gone a little haywire just to be fixed in future patches. Yes they're glitchy at the moment but they won't always be.

4. Harrekin Master Engineer

There is currently an elevator mod that doesn't use a piston at all.

Having a mod block depend on a piston is a bit...meh. You could just have a static cabin with opaque sides and just teleport the character from floor to floor after a delay, you'd only have to animate the doors.

It's pretty 90's but alot more usable than a piston.

5. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

The pistonless elevator is I believe done using plain animation so in effect the car is the piston? (Is that right?) If this is the case then it would be easy enough to have the car and shaft as one object.

I'm a noob to attempting mods for games so I appreciate you bouncing ideas with me.

6. Nacon Junior Engineer

Hate to break it to ya but that's not going to happen. Because of how the grid/block system works. You can't put another block/object inside an existing block on a grid. We have been waiting for compound blocks for a very long while now.

So instead, we have been using small ship grid to make large ships with thin walls.

7. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

I know the system isn't like ME. My idea was to make single large size blocks that contained multiple walls inside that block allowing for rooms that take up less area.
    For example:
    [​IMG]
    This covers any area of 2x2x1 and would be made up of 4 blocks. I need to know though is this feasible? And also, are compound blocks planned for SE or is that just what everyone hopes will be added?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.