Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Keeping a mining ship level

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Cattasraafe, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cattasraafe Trainee Engineer

So I am no brain.... Ive default to vertical mining ships for planetary mining which has been great, but now Id like to find a way to help keep my ship level and maybe even slowly lower itself while digging a hole to ores. There are there any simple ways to achieve this goal?

2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

its tricky enough to get working and its semi-simple once you do understand it.

but this mod is by far the best for leveling a ship out.
    even has options to make a hoover craft lean in opposite directions to cancel out drift.

even if you only get its script stuff showing on an LCD screen it'll show you what axis-tilt you're on.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=557293234

an option to the gyroscope to axis-digitally or reset to 0 would be useful but meh....its been suggested an age ago.

3. Malware Master Engineer

I use a vertical mining drone. I manually orient the drone then lock the leveling by overriding the gyros. Has worked like a charm so far.

4. Cattasraafe Trainee Engineer

Gotcha Ill check it out when I get a chance.
    --- Automerge ---

Interesting Ill have to look into the options for Gyros. Ive never messed with the settings on them so I didnt know you could do that. Any ideas for a slow controlled decent so the miner can progress without hitting ground and knocking itself off axis? I thought about maybe a sensor and trigger connected to thrusters, but Ive only thought about it so far.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Vertical miners require a decent number of gyros to keep them vertical. It's not the empty ship that's the problem but when it's full of ore. You have to build your miner to work under those conditions. I would also turn off your downward thrusters if you have them. You don't need to push the ship down as gravity is doing that for you.

Another thing you could also try is overriding some of your upwards thrusters. Not enough to fly upwards but slow your descent as you're going down. As the ship is filling up, the mass will change so you may need more overriding as mining progresses.

6. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

I use an auto leveling script.

7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

yeah I can mention an in game feature that actually surprised me a bit considering thing....

I had a miner with 2 cargo containers each side.
    one side seem to take priority when collecting ore so when i landed the thing keeled over.
    that actually surprised me that the weight in a container effected the ships center of gravity.
    didn't think that was programmed in.

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There are some scripts in the workshop that can help you with load balancing. Taleden's Inventory Manager is a great universal script for handling such things. It can do something as simple as distribute cargo evenly among containers. All ore weighs the same, so any cargo container set to [TIM Ore] would get an equal share of ore. You can get a little more advanced by setting your cargo containers on your miner to a low priority and your cargo containers at the base/mothership to a higher priority. Then TIM will pull ore from the miner and place it in the base for you shortly after docking.

On a different note, I wouldn't land a vertical miner except in an emergency. Build your connector to one side of the ship and dock it to the base suspended by the connector or a landing gear.

9. Cattasraafe Trainee Engineer

which one do you use. Ive browsed workshop for a few but I never seem to find many. Someone has already linked one that I will try tomorrow.

10. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

Added the code to my own script... I need to put it out and make a more basic version.

11. Wicorel Senior Engineer

I used this as the basis for what I've done.

http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/aligning-ship-to-planet-gravity.7373513/#post-1286885461

12. Cattasraafe Trainee Engineer

what did you use in the thread as a basis. There is a bunch of smart talk in there that is beyond my understanding.

13. Wicorel Senior Engineer

The code that is in the post I directly linked to. Open the 'spoiler' box.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.