Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Killer Vanilla - Season Two - Challenge Two – Raiders of the Lost Part - Contest Closed

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Raiders of the Lost Part

Build a large salvage vehicle and a small atmospheric cargo ship to assist it.

Background:

After hearing how heroic Lola is for saving the group at least a hundred times, the gang ponder their next move. After some discussion, they, or more accurately, Lola, decide that they should split up to find work to finance rebuilding Big John's criminal empire. Lola and Big John have left to meet contacts in the outer system and Kevin is working a mining contract in the Trojans, leaving Barry and Dave to work out how to make some money themselves. Having never done a hard days work in their lives, the hapless duo quickly make contact with some old friends in the Ceresian Underworld, looking to make some quick cash. Luckily, Harry the Hat, long term rival of Big John, has just the right job for them.

Basil Bonanza, the infamous used vehicle salesman, has just had a delivery of high end gear, specifically a load of Superconductors and Thruster Components, at one of of his Martian warehouses. He is also refusing to pay for Harry the Hat's “Protection” in the belt. Harry wants the lads to steal Basil's spare parts and to teach him a lesson in Ceresian generosity.

[​IMG]

General Competition Information
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/b...vanilla-fortnightly-building-contest.7360076/

Specification:

FAILURE TO MEET SPECIFICATION WILL RESULT INAUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION. SHIPS MUST BE STOCKED WITH APPROPRIATE CARGO FOR IMMEDIATE SURVIVAL USE. DOUBLE CHECK BEFORE YOU SUBMIT!

Please include the tag [KVR22] in your submission's name to help me find it in my increasingly large blueprint menu.

Hazardous Environment Craft: Large grid Crew members require air; assume everybody is not wearing a spacesuit while on board. Small Grid Crew members also require air, but only while piloting the small craft. Open flight decks are ok.

Two's Company: Must have seating for a pilot on both grids.

Economy Class: No large grid thrusters or gyros.

Double Act: Both grids should be built to work together. Small Grid submissions must be able to be carried and supplied by Large Grid submission. Large Grid should not be negatively affected by small grid.

Wrecking Machine: Large Grid should be capable of causing damage without the use of turrets, fixed weapons or warheads.

We Stand Together: Submissions scores will be split 50/50 between each grid with each able to attain a maximum of five in each category.

Grid: Large and Small

Large Grid:
    Ground Based Only
    Maximum Mass (No Cargo): 1,000,000Kg
    Maximum Weapon Systems: None
    Minimum Seating: Pilot seat
    Minimum Safe Operating Speed: 50 Km/h
    Minimum Cargo Capacity: 200,000L

Small Grid:
    Maximum Mass (No Cargo): 200,000Kg
    Maximum Weapon Systems: None
    Minimum Seating: Pilot seat

The Test:

Submissions will be placed in world roughly 500m from the Warehouse. Submissions are expected to perform the following tasks:

Large Grid:
    Break through the exterior wall.
    Make a hole in the warehouse big enough to easily fit the small grid through.
    Trash the vehicles in the parking lot.
    Drive 500m from the warehouse at the end of the test.

Small Grid:
    Enter the warehouse.
    Steal materials by:

• Docking with the connector.

• Collecting materials from the hopper.
    Return safely to the Large Grid and unload loot.

Test World: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694260866

Surge's Tips:

I think something a bulldozer/salvage truck and a small atmospheric cargo ship should do well here.

Although there are no traditional weapons allowed, Kinetic based PMW are fine, but optional. Focus on building a good vehicle and ship, not on nuking the whole installation :D

Small grid must be able to carry the loot easily. The fewer trips I have to make the better, but if I can fill it up in one and it flies like a brick, it will cost more points than if I have to make several trips. Watch your cargo capacity to thrust ratios.

This is a primarily civilian, if criminal undertaking and there are no guns shooting your entry so don't worry too much about defence.

Mixing grids can give you some extra options, but if it is too difficult to build in Survival, it will affect your Survival Capability score.

Remember the contest consists of four categories: Aesthetics, Performance, Survival Capability and Test. A good all round entry typically does better than a test focused concept or a beautiful but weak ship.

Category Key Points:

Aesthetics: Looks, Lines, Paint, Lighting, Detail.

Performance: Speed, Handling, Resilience, Damage, Power.

Survival Capability: Cost, Efficiency, Quality of Life, Construction/Supply Difficulty.

Test: How well the entry does in the test. Maximum for Failure = 4.5. Minimum for Pass = 5

Submission deadline is the 24 JUNE 2016 - 6.00PM GMT.
    Please post submissions below as a link to the blueprint, a maximum of TWO SCREENSHOTS ONLY and a short description. Good luck everybody! Make sure you try out your ships before submission!

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Ooooh a good ol smash and grab

• Like Like x 1
  3. noxLP Junior Engineer

So, i'm not really sure if i understood it correctly... the large grid have to be a car/truck without thrusters or gyros, that large grid have to "carry" the small grid to bonanza, break a hole, get inside, break all the vehicles, wait for the small grid to steal the components and load them back into the large grid, and flee carrying all the loot and again the small grid?

Man, a large grid car without gyros... i'm scared, and excited!

• Like Like x 1
  4. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Yep, that's pretty much it :D
    --- Automerge ---
    Test world is up! Let me know if you find any bugs. Good luck!

5. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

yay some preliminary designs. still looking to do a rammer as well, but for now my multi grid truck.
    Yay spoilers srry for the space taking. But i still might scrap this.

My main thing so far has been every rammer i make just for some reason when striking either the walls or the main gate nose dives at moment of impact. Gonna try one for the tower use some map design to help in destruction.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  6. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

Do we have to break in? Can't we just use the connector at the top or do we have to mash the buttons on the inside first?

7. Arcturus Senior Engineer

The cargo in the containers is 10,000 thruster components (400,000 kg and 100,000 L) and 10,000 superconducters (150,000 kg and 80,000 L).

The getaway ground vehicle (large grid) needs 200,000 L minimum cargo space, and has a max empty mass of 1,000,000 kg, therefore fully loaded mass is at least 1.55 times more than empty mass, not including the small grid. This might matter to some people's vehicle designs.

@iN5URG3NT Are drills and grinders allowed?

• Like Like x 1
  8. noxLP Junior Engineer

That's exactly what I was about to ask.

9. ZeroCore Apprentice Engineer

Ugh... I'll be honest here; I'm going to try to build the required craft for this challenge, but in all seriousness when I heard about KV, I thought it was going to be more solving problems that one might actually encounter in the game in a way that made sense (such as dealing with multiple space pirate bases, or how to build a ship that could survive for a time on the apocalyptic setting of meteor storms, or perhaps how to make a good PVP ship).

And I know this might be a bit premature to say this, but so far, counting this challenge and the last one, this is seeming less like solving engineering problems and more like trying to build special effects for a poorly-written 1980's action movie.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  10. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@PyreStarite Yea, you have to break in. That top connector is just there so the building makes sense.

@Arcturus , @noxLP You certainly can! You can use anything except weapons. Try to integrate them into your design, as a salvage or mining vehicle, to help with your score.

@ZeroCore I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed Zero, but this is pretty much how it's always been.

I'm a little confused, I'd say building a cargo ship to lift half a kiloton of cargo in 1g is an engineering challenge and something you might need in game. Also, large grid is expensive, so a wheeled salvage vehicle could be could be a good way of getting materials together for a thrust based ship. Plus I like poorly written 80s action movies. :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Ill say its a challenge to design something not only is simple, but out performs and is the "evny of everyone's eye" in style is tricky. You can build a thruster cluster anyone can, strap on the crappy lookin cargo pods and away you go. Though when you take aesthetics, and usability with simplistic engineering to make the better less resource intensive entry it can boil down to some good ol number crunching in-game. As well the most basic of engineering is "how to do this correctly, and effieciently?" And that alone can decide the path you take to head up what seems to be meaningless objectives. But thats my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. noxLP Junior Engineer

One last question: No warheads neither, right? Or can we use warheads? :carlton:

13. Wicorel Senior Engineer

Specs say no warheads..

• Like Like x 1
  14. noxLP Junior Engineer

Oops, true :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

So, how is it going guys? How is the test? Any bugs? I didn't get a chance to refine the sorter system but the idea was to limit how much cargo would be ejected at once, so I don't overload ships or spill loads of stuff on the floor.

16. Wicorel Senior Engineer

Why have the ejectors when the small ships are required to pick up the components and deliver to the large ship? Small grid doesn't have collectors..

17. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Incorrect, small grid does have collectors.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wicorel Senior Engineer

Ok, I'm old. When did they add that?

19. Arcturus Senior Engineer

20. noxLP Junior Engineer

My tests are going... strange, i don't know if i'll use a PMW rocket or just a battery of grinders, tests with guided rockets have been proved too much random, with the same rocket at max velocity sometimes i completely blow up the main entrance's hangar doors and the surrounding pillars, and sometimes the rocket simply evaporize without doing any damage at all... so, i'm not sure yet, but i think i'll use grinders. I tested adding a battering ram head to the car too, but again it seems that kinetic damage is too much random at this version, or i'm doing something wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Ramming seems almost stop motion, u hit dont go through and then it punches a hole and wheels fall off.
    --- Automerge ---
    found a nice problem with large grid wheels, and heavy vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. noxLP Junior Engineer

Yes, the game is not in a good shape right now, i don't know if this happens to you guys, but if i aim to the hangar doors with my personal grinder/welder it sais that the block is a heavy armor block, if I aim to the base of the block then it says it's a hangar door block.
    And since yesterday's update the game crash for me, first it just crashed and the pc got unresponsive, then it said that my graphic card wasn't enough... while I have a radeon R9 200, better than the redommended :D

So yeah, the game is broken, lets wait for the hotfix i'll say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Also have found that damage will tranfer through armor blocks without damaging them then majorly damages planet voxel. Would just say might be easier to get rid of armor platform and attach landing pads to parking lot vehicles so we dont lose wheels as the game says to hell with you. But hotfix is needed

24. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

lol baiscly the same as the uesc contst this month only on mars well done surge

25. Arcturus Senior Engineer

That is an old bug that predates the new door types - it first started with the original doors. I got tired of bumping the bug report thread, but they haven't prioritized fixing it. The door panel refers to another block on the same ship rather than to its parent block.

EDIT: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1...nk-to-other-block-when-ground-welded.7364012/

26. noxLP Junior Engineer

Large grid conversations:

- Hey, are you hungry?
    - Yeah, why?
    - Maybe some small grids for dinner?

- Yum, yum... mmmm, the blue one was tasty.

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. ZeroCore Apprentice Engineer

Are walker mechs allowed? My current design is a six-legged thing which hops like a cricket that I'm trying to get to jump the wall rather than break through it since that's proving more difficult than I thought.

Good news though is that it can land directly on top of at least a few of the cars in the lot before turning to face the door and cut a hole through it for the small craft.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

just build the space engineers version of the coolaid man zerocore

29. ZeroCore Apprentice Engineer

But that doesn't work.

I've tried to build a battering ram but the wheels keep breaking off on impact. I've tried making a grinder-based craft, but that doesn't work either because the grinders or wheels again keep getting stuck.

Ugh... I've only mostly ever built air and space vehicles since, well, that's the main part of this game.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but wheels for me are Clang incarnate. They always break very easily, the hand break never works for me (it always bugs), they slide all over the place when the friction is below 50%, they stick to things like flypaper when the friction is over 50%, and they're liable to spontaneously launch your ground vehicle several stories into the air, EVEN WHEN YOU'RE STANDING STILL AND YOUR CRAFT IS NOT MOVING, and then even though they acted like rubber balls before they suddenly turn to bricks when they hit the ground and your whole build crumples into scrap metal.

I seriously have been having nothing but problems with this build ever since this challenge was issued.

Just because of how buggy it is I have a hard time making a ground vehicle that moves or works AT ALL let alone one that does all the Mad Max-esque, 1980's action movie stuff that these ridiculous challenges require.

And again, I'm disappointed in this series now. I thought it was going to be about solving real problems that exist in the game, not trying (mostly fruitlessly) to make props and such for a poorly-written action flick which was penned down by a director who wants all these contradictory, mutually-exclusive traits manufactured into the same vehicle and yet somehow wants to have it all run smoothly and look good doing it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  30. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

oh wait idea...

[​IMG]

have the wheels rase up off the ground and lg drop down and lock you to the voxil then have the cars grinders go nuts

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.