Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Killer Vanilla - Season Two - Challenge Two – Raiders of the Lost Part - Contest Closed

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Oh Zero, you've hurt my feelings now, I think I'm going to have a little cry...

Or...

I could just put my money where my mouth is and build an entry myself. :tu:

If I absolutely can not pass the test, I'll make a new one. Deal? Can't make any promises about the 80's action film stuff though. That's part of the fun for me. Each KV round takes 8-12 hours of my time and it's not like I'm getting paid. :)

I'm not sure if it's a translation thing, but I don't think you're getting the point of the tasks, so I'll make them clearer.

The General Idea.

Build a large grid salvage vehicle and cargo ship to assist it.

Hypothetical Situation: Player would like to salvage a disused base or large shipwreck. Player's base is a few Km away. The amount of salvage that needs to be carried makes a single large flying vehicle inefficient. Therefore, player would like to keep salvaging with vehicle while a friend transports shipments of components/ingots back to base.

How I work out if it's is up to the task.

Large Grid:
    Break through the exterior wall.
    Make a hole in the warehouse big enough to easily fit the small grid through.
    How?
    Grind or Destroy the walls
    Why? Tests functionality of grinder attachment or resilience of vehicle
    To what purpose? Proves vehicle will perform it's salvage tasks in survival easily or that it will not break in heavy use.

Trash the vehicles in the parking lot.
    How?
    Grind or Destroy the vehicles
    Why?
    Similar to before, but is looking to test the vehicle against smaller targets. Tests agility of grinder attachment or resilience of vehicle
    To what purpose?
    Proves vehicle will perform it's salvage tasks in survival easily or that it will not break in heavy use.

Drive 500m from the warehouse at the end of the test.
    How?
    Escape the carnage.
    Why?
    Test's whether the vehicle remains functional after the tests.
    To what purpose?
    The vehicle isn't much use if it dies while you are using it and would be a waste of materials.

Small Grid:
    Enter the warehouse.
    How?
    Fly inside the hole made by the vehicle.
    Why?
    Tests agility of cargo ship
    To what purpose?
    Unwieldly ships crash more often. This is a waste of time and materials.

Steal materials.
    How?
    Positioning the craft under hopper to collect materials by collector or armoured "tray", docking with connector.
    Why?
    Tests performance of cargo ship under load.
    To what purpose?
    To ascertain whether the ship is fit for purpose as a cargo ship. A cargo ship that can not safely transport cargo is useless.

Return safely to the Large Grid and unload loot.
    How?
    Exit through the hole you came in. Deposit materials to vehicle via connector/collector.
    Why? Tests cargo ship agility under load and if materials can be exchanged easily between vehicle and cargo ship.
    To what purpose? Cargo ship needs to be at least reasonably maneuverable under load to dock easily. Vehicle must be able to transfer materials to cargo ship.

-

In my opinion, that seems like stuff you might need in survival. Does anyone else agree, or am I just making no sense at all?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. noxLP Junior Engineer

Look, i said nothing the first time you posted here, only to express yourself in a "non polite" (that's just to be polite myself) manner about how this contest is this and that. In fact i just think you are frustrated because your ideas are not working as you expected, and that's not a reason to come here and try to disqualify a simple and honest try to have fun.

It's really simple: you like it? You stay and play. You don't like it? Go away.
    You can do what you want, of course, but the rest is just childish, including your actual attitude: what are you doing in this thread? Are you coming here because you like it? I don't think so given what you are saying. Are you coming here just for playing? Neither think so, given that you don't like it.
    So, WHY are you posting here? To bother the rest of us, to disqualify the work of insurgent, just for the whining? ???

Stay or go, the choice is yours, but don't bother anymore.

Besides that, if you REALLY want to stay, you should know that the tasks at this contest are not easy, and more than one time we work with buggy things. That's part of the contest since the contest is not a commercial or official thing, it's made to be hard, not to attract mass of players that only want to play easy and perfectly stable.
    So, the wheels are bugged, that isn't new, wheels, rotors, pistons, we use them all at this contests, use what you want. We ALL are playing with the same rules and we ALL find solutions to the problems the game have NOW, f.i. see my and Fluffy the Fleshpound posts.
    And well, that's what you have to do in survival too, maybe you haven't played at planets, i've played at planets A LOT, i have my car and my wheels don't do strange things now, after trying it. The rest of the contest are things that you have to do in survival: grind other vehicles/bases, do a ship able to transport things in atmosphere, do a ship able to transport other ships, etc.
    I don't really understand your complains about the survival thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hydrohawk Trainee Engineer

Here's a more technical question...

Do we need to retain the salvage from the parking lot / entry access or can it be dumped?

4. noxLP Junior Engineer

Well guys, it seems that i've discovered why the rockets was so random, i even barely remember read something like this before at some thread, so maybe some of you already knew it. The thing is that hangar doors are like the hell f****** strong, basically when closed they recieve no damage at all unless you hit directly the base of the block.
    This bug doesn't happen with the hand grinder, but happens with kinetic damage AND ship grinders (Maybe with damage done from other grid? Who knows, i haven't even tested it with normal weapons), so if you try to blow up the entrance both with a rocket or with grinders, you have to aim to the base, not to the 2 upper blocks that occupies the doors closed. When you do that, a single rocket (well aimed, so, guided) can blow up all the hangar door blocks, just two of them, one guided to one side and other one to the other side, blow up the hangar door blocks and the armor blocks that sustain the entrance structure, falling all down ;)

So, welcome back guided rocket! :D

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

i would think that the towers at the corners are the weakest as they are built with interior blocks

6. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

It can be dumped, you won't fail for that, but as a salvage vehicle the ability to retain the materials would be good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. noxLP Junior Engineer

Well, both the towers and the pillars are pretty weak, but it's harder to maneuver once you're in both if you enter by a side or by a corner. With a large grid it's just easier to enter straight from the front, eat all small grids and finally open a hole in the main building, all as you go straight ahead.
    Although there's another possibility if we really had a crew larger than one ;)

8. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Right, I tried this test last night with a [HS] Caiman with a large grinder "bulldozer" attachment. Was not that hard. I did lose a wheel though, but that was probably because I was going too fast, and it didn't really stop it. I could add a piston for repair. Didn't try the Cargo Ship part but I made a 3x5 hole so I think I could get a small grid in there without too much hassle. Take it slow and rely on the grinders and the test seems ok to me.

9. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Ive transitioned into a grinder that uses a strut system to raise it off the ground just slightly. Then a nose grinding system pushes forward to remove the fence. Trash removal system to keep it un cluttered idea from (@Vaskadar ) but also looking into battering rams.

@iN5URG3NT can the smaller ship be used to fling drop the parking lot ships? Or is it stricly for cargo transfer?

As well question for anyone. Are rotor trustworthy now-a-days?

10. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

No. To be honest I did try building the kool-aid man busting through the fence to try and make it as a meme but having rotors for moving arms and legs ended up making it explode upon loading. Don't use rotors.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Lol didnt realize you were shooting them. Sadly coukda told ya that i use them as retractable blast shields for some of my space bridges. Plus when dammaged they remain expanded. I.e. my brannigan

12. noxLP Junior Engineer

No problem, tests are part of the contest ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. noxLP Junior Engineer

14. noxLP Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 3
  15. Seff Apprentice Engineer

Your suspension looks way too rigid, like you've got strength set to 50+ or something. With the suspension so rigid, when you try and climb that slope you end up putting a lot of your vehicle's mass on that one wheel and it can't flex out the impact, so the wheel just breaks. Drop Strength down to 9 or 10 (may need to be a little higher, maybe as much as 12), max travel to 50%, damping to 30%, and go from there. Ideally, your strength is low enough that your vehicle rests ~1/3 of the way between the lowest part of the suspension and the midpoint, so it can flex 2/3 up and 1/3 down. Actual wheel offset should remain at maximum (-1.5m), you're just adjusting the ride height with strength. When you increase the mass with the cargo, you'll need to increase strength to compensate.

16. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Ill give it a try thx

17. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Well HAve completed a medium sized Grinder ship with aft open hangar for cargo ship. The A.D. Louse is less then 500K tonnes dry. and with cargo ship attached. Has a piston parking brake that also comes in handy when grinding. Can maneuver rather well with it's small size. Has a retractable/extendable grinding arm and trash removal system to keep your weight down. Full Drive train controls are set for even increasing strength for increased weight. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709502812. Have fun I hope for the best with this one.
    --- Automerge ---
    thx that worked great, have applied across all vehicles.

• Like Like x 4
  18. noxLP Junior Engineer

I almost have it finished :woot:

• Like Like x 1
  19. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

Here is my entry: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709741898

I am pretty happy with the small ship but the big rover requires careful driving. Push too hard with the grinders and SE physics will send you flying. So slow and steady won’t kill you (probably). Description is still in the concept stage not sure I will come up with something good in the remaining time.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  20. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Glad to see some entries! I was getting a little worried. :D

Feel free to enter until midnight if that helps guys.

21. noxLP Junior Engineer

Well, FINALLY i've finished them :eek:ops: Man, i have to admit that i forgot to test the small ship :p, and today i found that it had not enough power to even resist gravity when filled... so, panic time.

But well, they're done, i've preferred to make 3 blueprints instead of one, you know, just in case SE don't like it and things like small ship attached via connector won't get pasted in the last moment.
    Therefore, i have a large ship, Red Raider: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709760511
    A small ship, Small Cargo Hauler (creative name, yeah): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709806011
    And a rocket, Mars-SSM: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709761288

As you can see, the large ship have LOTS of grinders, it's just an I-EAT-all-that-is-in-front-of-me-or-beneath ship :woot:, but it have remote controlled rockets too, so you can enter the base by the front, grinding your way in, or blowing up the main hangar door entrance with 2 or 3 rockets (aiming at the base).

But i've tested it, and i think the better way to enter it is by a side, in this order:
    1. You go at the rear of the base and with 1-3 rockets you open a hole in the rear wall of the base's main building, a hole large enough to the hauler to enter that way(it's smaller than it seems, so with 1 to 3 rockets you should have a more than enough hole). You could do the hole at the front, but it's worst for aiming due to the main entrance, and there's some possibility that the hangar doors will fall down to the yard, and that would be bad for maneuvering with the raider later. If you test it with more people, someone can take the hauler and other one the raider, and remember the hauler have remote control too, as well as antennae and cams.
    2. Go to a side of the base. Take in mind that i build the raider to fit in the yard laterally, you have only a margin of like 2 blocks per side so you will have to maneuver... but once you have it in the right place, you just switch on the grinders and slowly go straight ahead... grinders do the rest until you reach the other side, which you'll grind too, of course :D

So, that's the idea. A pair of notes:
    - Please reload the rocket blueprint before use it, as we talked about earlier (was it in the KVR21? ), the blueprint ownership is a bit bugged.
    - There are 3 cockpits (cockpits, seats, you know...) at the bridge, the center one is for the pilot, the left one for the rocket, and the right for the hauler. Each one have their own "dedicated" toolbar.
    - Don't try to move the raider with a rocket builded and attached, it would break the rotor beneath almost certainly, it's better to just leave the rocket at the ground and lose the components. Also, the rocket cockpit have in the toolbar a timer for start building the rocket, but as the projector can't update correctly the percentage builded it's not fully automatic, at the same toolbar there are controls for the rocket bay doors, the projector and the welders. There are no controls for the remote (the same with the hauler), sorry, but i failed to achieve to make a direct toolbar button with the remote control, i thought that making a group in the othe ship will work, but it didn't work... don't know why.
    - The blueprint have components for building 5 rockets, 2 oxygen bottles per person (6) and 1 hydrogen bottle per person, and obviously the uranium, the ice and that type of things.
    - The pilot seat have a control for increasing or decreasing the wheels height. That's because i use the max height for not damaging the bottom of the raider, but when you are grinding especially the pillars, but sometimes the little small ships too, sometimes the grinders are just too high and they can't grind the blocks. So, you decrease the height, grind the blocks, and increase it again ;) The raider have cameras at the front, looking forward and down, so you can control all that with the cams.
    Imho the car drives pretty well for the weight it have (like 750000 Kgs without cargo) with the height at maximum, feel free to change it, but i won't change it.

And that's all i think, sorry for the wall text, wtf, where did came from all that explanations :p , in fact they're easy to use :eek:ops: , really.

Oh, i almost forgot, the hauler have a set of extra gyros for using when filled.

PD: Notice the raider have grinders at the bottom too, not only at the front.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  22. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

InfernoTech Industries
    : Ursa Salvager : Gentle Giant variation : and : Warbler Hauler :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

: Notes :
    Be weary when taking off with the Warbler, its a bit of a hassle disconnecting it as it has 3 different locks; the connector, the merge, and the landing gears. Also, the inertial dampeners on the Warbler are off, so you need to turn them back on.
    Ok, time for math, please no, not during a headache...
    Warbler is ~950,000kg x 1.0G and 6 SGLA x 408kN + 8 SGSA x 80kN = 196,480kN
    Thruster Component package is 400,000kg and 100,000L, while the Conduit package is 150,000kg and 80,000L.
    Please do the rest, my head is hurting tonight.

: Workshop Link :
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=710159481

• Like Like x 4
  23. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Thanks for your entries chaps! I hope to judge over the next week, good luck everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  24. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Yo. I've started testing, but I'm having some problems with a few bugs. Not sure when I'll be done yet. Going to have to modify the test a little as connectors don't seem to be collecting at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  28. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

The report of my death was an exaggeration... :)

Hey guys, sorry for being rubbish. :( I've had so much to do for the past few weeks and I've not even turned my gaming PC on. KV takes a while to judge, even if there are only a few entries.

Also, every time I play SE it is not long before I want to do this:

[​IMG]

But seriously, I will judge your entries as soon as I can. I'd rather not say a date in case I miss it, but I won't forget. Sorry for the wait.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

I am sure we all understand your point (both of them in fact ;)). This is just our eagerness to read your Feedback seeking an outlet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Please play video as you read it adds a seriousness to the
    matter. You may mute when done.

Today we come together to honor the memory of @iN5URG3NT a well like and loved individual. After what we will say feels like decades of waiting we must conculude he has died and moved on to the great engineer in the sky. He left us with fleets of ships to enjoy, as well as good memories in the challenges he brought together. I for one was inspired by alot of his designs and his challenges. I know some had issues, but I want to believe everyone liked him. Rest on you designer for stars, magician of design, you Space Engineer. Thank you for the designs, fun and Killer Vanilla Challenge be it only 2 seasons. RIP Surge.

Ps this is a joke don't have a heartattack.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.