Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Kite Fighter Mk 3 Release! - Whiplash Military Industries (WMI)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Whiplash141, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

This triggers me:
    [​IMG]

Stop adding unnecessary greebles that ruin the rotational symmetry Keen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Wellstat Apprentice Engineer

my Rayden now looks like it came out of camouflage inside a salt dune.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Can raycast detect planet surface more accurately than sensors?

4. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Semi-accurate visual representation of Whips reaction to the new blocks:

[​IMG]

The Gyro's look nice though right? Right?

I'll get my coat... :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Wellstat Apprentice Engineer

im releasing my light assault craft soon:
    Salty Striker

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

7. Uranius Crack Trainee Engineer

Would it be possible to create a turret script that uses raycast to lead the shots? (I assume a designator turret would still have to provide the initial lock)

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can raycast out to 1000 meters every 1/2 second or 500 milliseconds. In order to obtain direction, heading, and velocity, you will need to perform two raycasts. The minimum interval is 500 milliseconds. The maximum distance a ship can travel in that amount of time is approximately 50 meters. There's no guarantee that in that time the ship will continue on the same heading at the same velocity.

The vanilla turrets, even with their faster response times have always had this issue. That's why "flying crazy' or "juking" seems to throw off turrets as they expect the ship to be in one place and the pilot is steering it to another. Leading a target that's flying straight at a constant speed wouldn't be too difficult to predict. Leading someone who is already dodging incoming fire... pretty tough.

Leading might be practical for shooting large ships that aren't that maneuverable. But you typically don't have to lead large ships any more than the designator turret is doing itself.

9. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Bullets are also incredibly slow so the fire control prediction needs to be very accurate - the bullet speed means that even modest changes from the calculated path will cause them to miss. You can generally beat the vanilla turrets by staying X distance away and moving at Y velocity but changing the direction of your velocity vector at a sufficiently high rate. The shots will always fall behind your ship.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  10. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

That's why you need multiple cams with staggered raycasting. One camera casts every 30 updates, 5 staggered cams cast every 6 updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Howitz Junior Engineer

whiplash, this song is for you bb. no matter how salty you are i will lick it all away.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  12. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

You only need one Raycast for all that information.

Leading a target with unpredictable behavior is nigh impossible. The gatling guns fire bullets at their max velocity out of the barrel. This allows you to do simple linear vector position prediction. This is the method that Keen's turrets, my old GFD missiles, and my space pirate drones used.

The fire control is pinpoint on a non-accelerating target. The issue is humans being so bloody hard to predict. The random movements that a pilot makes are not easy to account for. I suspect that's one of the reasons the military likes the "bullet hose" mentality of aircraft interception :p
    --- Automerge ---
    I made something very complex: a bunker!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

I could have sworn that I heard someone Ask "Dude, do you sometimes wonder why we are here?" and a long complex answer in response as I have seen this bunker....

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Firefly comes to mind ^^

@Whiplash141 Sir, I built a planetary ICBM missile launch site an a simple, one stage ICBM with an even simpler massive metal head for direct kinetic damage. I want this missile to go make boom on (a) the planet itself (b) something in the orbit and potentially (c) something on another planet. As you are the recognized god-emperor of scripts and I know z e r o about scripts - is there one out there you would suggest?

15. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

It’s one of life’s great mysteries isn't it? Why are we here? I mean, are we the product of some cosmic coincidence, or is there really a god watching everything? You know, with a plan for us and stuff. I don’t know man, but it keeps me up at night.

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

...What?! I mean why are we out here, in this canyon?

Gotta love RvB, but the new season is not to my taste as of jet....

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I made something very complex: a bunker!
    If you played the campaign, it should look a little familiar :)
    --- Automerge ---
    Depends on the guidance system that you want :)

If you know the GPS coordinates, there are some cool ones onthe workshop that handle that nicely.

18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

GPS guidance script +1. They are on the workshop. Being able to target a point on the surface of another planet is going to be a little difficult since the launch site may be on the far side of the host planet and the target can even be on the far side of the target's planet. You would need a script that can not only target a GPS position but circumnavigate two planets: one in the launch stage and one in the targeting stage. If you know the center point of both planets you are golden. You can draw a line between the two points and then calculate two points above the planet from the center of each planet on the line segment. Then you have to calculate waypoints on the fly that keep the missile above the planet until it gets the exit point and then do the reverse for the entrance point on to the target planet. It can be done. But the key is knowing the planet's center GPS and being certain that the missile circumnavigates each planet at a height that's above any mountain peaks. However, the wider your orbit the more time it's going to take.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

*Watches through a sniper rifle.*

20. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Ok... so I made an image converter using MATLAB and in-game programming :D

I'm pretty dang proud since I had close to no idea what I was doing! I might need to teach myself java or something so I can package the image converter in one file since it currently requires MATLAB.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: My converter does not handle browns very well...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. Sarekh Senior Engineer

See? God emperor of script, I said so!

22. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Check out the edit I made above :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Sarekh Senior Engineer

time to make that horror scenario. While it's still bright outside

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I just modded the Whip's Optical Guidance script to capture the variables from the remote control block aboard the mother ship and then keep those variables as static numbers. I also changed it so that when this happens, I moved the "ForEach" statement regarding beacons so that it turns on after the missile locks to the vector and has the message "Locked" now displayed. Should be able to test it tonight for planetary dive bombing. Just have to get out of the way once the missile locks. The next revision will be storing the remotes variables as soon as the missile detaches so there's no lag time between detach and locking to the vector.

Quick question @Whiplash141 does a question mark behind a variable mean "if not null"? My programming skills are weak.

25. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I made a version of the code for Lord Commissar that allows the missile to function as a JDAM. I need to release it haha

Yep!

26. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

omg, question mark behind variable is a null check? wtf have i been doing :X

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There are even "If" statements that have no curly brackets under them. What kind of sorcery is THIS?!!

28. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

That one I may have found out by accident :p

29. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

This:
    Code:
    List <IMyTerminalBlock> list; //some populated list
    IMyDoor door = list[0] as IMyDoor;
    if (door != null)
    {
        door.ApplyAction("OnOff_On");
    }
    Is equivalent to this
    Code:
    List <IMyTerminalBlock> list; //some populated list
    IMyDoor door = list[0] as IMyDoor;
    door?.ApplyAction("OnOff_On");
    Makes code much more readable and saves you some indents :)

Yeah an if or else statement has no brackets, they will only execute the command directly after the statement. If you have more than one action or command, you'll need brackets :)

Also...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

that's such a help wow. Thank you much good sir!

My fire control arguments are currently like 650 lines long. This will massively reduce that!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.