Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Kite Fighter Mk 3 Release! - Whiplash Military Industries (WMI)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Whiplash141, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Howitz Junior Engineer

i fear i am at the receiving end of this one =(

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Howitz Junior Engineer

is it time for christmas forgiveness yet?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Howdy all!

I've been hard at work polishing my Image Converter, and I think I am ready for a beta release!
    You can download the image converter from here:
    https://github.com/Whiplash141/Whips-Image-Converter/raw/master/WhipsImageConverter/bin/Debug/Whip`s Image Converter.exe

If you are (understandably) wary of downloading a windows app, you can manually build it from the source code here:
    https://github.com/Whiplash141/Whips-Image-Converter

[​IMG]

So try it out and if you do manage to break it, please tell me how you did so I can fix it!
    I'm trusting y'all to be responsible with this program; don't make me regret it lol

Also @AutoMcD, you may be happy to hear that I added in an option to preserve the aspect ratio of the source image if it does not fit perfectly in the LCD panel :D

As seen here, I converted @Swanicus' square logo into a wide LCD and a square LCD with no stretching or warping.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  4. damoran Junior Engineer

Looks over at Zeratul...

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Howitz Junior Engineer

hey i am just a pilgrim seeking fogiveness, altho you know i was right whiplash!

6. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Looks amazing!

7. Sarekh Senior Engineer

That looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to try it out after being back from work.

8. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

Finally got the chance to try this out today, *claps* gg whip, this deserves a massive amount of credit, you have much love from me for this!
    also pahahaha at the dithering example 1, beautiful.

Edit: Also GG on the user friendliness, this is considerably less of a ballache to use than SpeedyGonzalese's old one for ye olde X-box symbols

Edit2: Do you mind if I use this (extensively) for my module-based shenanigans, due credit given of course, would you want me to point them here or are we dubious about letting the masses know of the existence of such a tool?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Haha I coded so many safeties into this thing, glad to hear it worked!

You are free to use it with credit, but don't link it quite yet :) I want to wait and see if any bad bugs pop up.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Also... I managed to rewrite my missile code to use Cross Grid Communicatithe on (CGC).
    Actually I rewrote 2 codes. Lemme 'splain:

The current implementation of CGC does not allow the missile to "read" stuff without it being broadcast. This means that you need a code on the firing ship to broadcast the missile's instructions. There is now one code to "paint and shout" the target's location, and a newly modified missile code to "hear and steer" the missile onto the target. What this also means is that I could code the designation program to seamlessly switch guidance modes with the push of a button. So now I have a backup in-case the current method breaks.

HOWEVER, the current implementation of CGC is vastly lacking some functionality due to a few bugs:
    1. Copy-Pasting, or building from a blueprint erases the program linked to the antenna
    2. Programs can't select things from a combo-box
    Because of this, there is no way to build and fire stuff autonomously. You need to set up the antenna each time. Well.. you would... if small merges actually worked :D

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Well first implementation always has shortcomings, did you add in an unique identifier generator? It would be rather inconvenient if you have two or more missiles running on the script and they get confused with different targets. Another useful script would be a PMW cgc missile lock alarm, all you would need is an antenna that scans enemy or neutral broadcasts to see if the message contains your cords, wouldn't stand up to an encrypted tracking, but even so

11. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Yep, well kinda... Missiles will only listen to the launching ship :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Well I suppose that you won't need as much until you get into fleet control,- on it's own fleet control isn't great, as there will be no getting around pb ai ships being derpy, not if you want it to run reasonably, but once you get close to an enemy such that there is no hiding around, it will be important, of course there is the problem of jump drives there, but the way I see it, so long as you are using a preprogamed jump location, you could cycle through all the ships via rc blocks, and jump the ship your physically in last, but one thing you might want to do with torpedoes is make it so you can trigger and guide them from the end of a chain of laser antenna drones that will only broadcast as the torp approaches and will fly as a chain, each following the next until connection issues, then adjusting to require the signal...

13. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Lol... Yeah... uhh... that is a bunch of work :D I just want to get my crap working reliably first

The missile can be guided from any antenna, but only the parent ship can send the correct ID code. That message can be piggybacked off of any antenna network to reach the missile.

14. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I updated my artificial horizon code to use the new monospaced font :)
    I was also able to reduce the average performance impact by about 300% making the code much more server friendly :D

I have a bunch planned for the near future:
    • Cross-Grid Communication TOW Missile Code is done! I'm waiting for stable to get all the cool features before I release it.
    • Hunchback Mk 1 - Planetary Dropship and my Drop Pod Code are finished... if Keen ever fixes the frikkin' merge blocks this century I can release them.
    • Komodo Mk 2 - Guided Missile Destroyer is still waiting for the merge bug to be fixed... :( Other than that, she is essentially finished.
    • Peregrine Mk 2 - Planetary Missile Bomber is ready for release. It is a good showcase platform for the new missile code I wrote :)
    • Shortbow Mk 5 - Space Missile Bomber is also ready for release... (good god I have a bunch of crap to release)
    • Kite Mk 3 - Atmospheric and Space Interceptors are also ready for release... No good reason for this one :D
    • Group Based Weapon Sequencer code is ready for release.
    • Rotor Turret Control Script update is done and waiting for stable to get the bug fixes necessary for the update.
    Random Pic Dump:
    --- Automerge ---
    Made a 4k screenshot of my "Wolfpack" :D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

This week in "Stupid Changes That No-one Asked For"

Useless welder range.
    [​IMG]

KEEEEEEEN!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

damn

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. welkar926 Apprentice Engineer

Me too! I thought that there was an ownership issue, but it turned out that the welder range got decreased substantially. My missile cruiser no longer works because of this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

But it's realistic!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

I'm really confused over the motive for this welder range nerf. What I'm not confused about is that it's pretty much the end of the road for a huge number of pmws if this change stays. Come on keen, wtf you be doing?...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

No. It is a stupid change that shits on gameplay. SE is tedious as hell already and keen is going the route of breaking everything that works so that you can't engineer a damn thing.

Oh and don't even say "realism." This is a game where:
    • Thrusters induce no torque
    • Gravity drives exist
    • Artificial Mass and Gravity gens exist
    • Jump drives exist
    This game is on the fast track to getting its player base to abandon it for more polished competitors. There is only so much core feature breaking that I can take.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

Got any alternative games you have in mind for when it does go?

22. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Avorion looks quite promising. I mean it actually runs and has combat. That is already leaps ahead of SE.

23. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

I'm playing it, it is a nice refreshing change of pace from SE, but I just wish I didn't get attacked by pirates/aliens every 5 minutes.

24. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Preach brother! Preach!

You are not wrong. Another thing broken and for what? For instance, they broke timers for ages, did they improve them? No. They broke Merges, are they working on them to make them better perhaps? Doubt it. And now welders, will this lead to welder improvements like less lag? Will it fuck. So what's the fucking point in breaking things?

Avorion: It's not SE, it's more like Freelancer, X3 or Galaxy on Fire. No interiors, PB, timers or Planets. There is a little bit of light engineering like power consumption, braking thrust etc. but it is not like SE or KSP. It's also not as pretty, but it ain't bad.

But as a game, rather than a ship building simulator, it absolutely pwns SE. SE Survival is a fucking joke next to Avorion. Avorion is also extremely stable for Early Access. The build mode has incredible potential as you can basically tailor each block to your needs. You can also build a whole fleet and have the AI pilot as your wingmen. Then there is trading, piracy, smuggling, research, quests etc. Stable MP. RNG Loot. Procedural generated galaxy with 1,000,000 sectors.

Not going to lie, I am loving it. IF you are looking for something different but still creative, I'd definitely recommend it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Wellstat Apprentice Engineer

Its all a conspiracy.... They are trying to subtely impede PMWs by accidentally breaking critical functions that require them to work....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well nubby noobs were complaining "dah wewda burns me... hawt... I did'ed" Standing next to a large heated element without a warning label written in large font was a little much. So they nerfed the welder because respawning after repeatedly killing yourself with... a ship welder... was too hard of a concept to understand.

I'd hate to see them try to iron a shirt.

Hopefully Keen switches it back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Sarekh Senior Engineer

I think they will. No pistons? Can deal. No rotors? Got used to it. Timers, merge blocks and welders... that hurts my feelz and my buildz. And since those are the stuff that enables creative, innovative builds and I am by far not alone, I'd say they will reconsider. This is not a F2P, game designers are not forced to act on retention or conversion rates, they can have the luxury of deciding according to gamer feedback.

To be honest, the whole welder stuff feels more like an old-school incursion Marek-style than an informed GD decision.

Or maybe it's wishful thinking because I'd hate to see inspiring parts of the community go cold.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

The welder and grinder mechanics are game contrivances anyway. They share nothing with manufacturing or engineered assembly/disassembly. What is the functionally difference between shuffling around a box of welders on a thruster or just stuffing the welder on the ship itself. In both cases components magically get turned into blocks.

On top of this these changes make manual welding with a ship incredibly tedious - even if the intention was to nerf welders and break every single automatic welding creation, it sucks for the core, baseline unimaginative use of ship welders.

Small ship welders are literally useless for welding other small ships now.
    --- Automerge ---
    Keen had utterly no problem arbitrarily increasing lethal welder radius to the point where it would kill you well behind the welder tips (behind the block in fact) and made accessing the control button on the top side of the impossible. I got killed dozens upon dozens of times until this was patched.

I think this is pure backpedalling or post-hoc explanation to justify an otherwise arbitrary/thoughtless change based on what someone though balance should look like. We've seen this before with the nerfing of the rocket launcher capabilities. We were promised a balance pass paving the way for new weapons. Instead we've gotten several interations of rockets going from utterly useless to now insanely, stupidly powerful. All undocumented of course.

I say this, because I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen a noob complain about getting killed by welders either here or on the steam forum.

Everyone who plays this game fries themselves with welders. And they invariably go "hmmm I need to be more careful/mindful" or they automate in safety with a sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  29. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

This is kind of not where I want to go, but... in dire times...

There are always mods.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Shhhhhhhhhh, don't get the "arms race people" into modding.

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.