Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

KUS Civilian Systems & Starships Inc.

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Tyriosh, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

would very much like to see what you have thus far. i also did extensive editing of the society section of the lore the other day and then made a separate section for PFS itself, differentiating it from Phoenix Republic/Navy

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1280719540&postcount=1

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  2. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Will upload a PDF in a bit :)

3. Howitz Junior Engineer

Woot woot LORE woot woot !!!

4. Tristavius Senior Engineer

www.tvsi.engineering/se/files/Timeline20150324.pdf

A combinations of the lore I began to flesh out with my first few ship releases, and through the lore I wrote for my ship names more recently. All based around the Phoenix framework.

Very much a work in progress, there's still a ton of stuff to do, especially towards the end, and more fluff about how Space Engineers came to be (only just started that bit). A lot of info about Mars though and the rebellions, and also how that relates to Phoenix. It's colour coded by the location it takes place (Earth/Mars/Outer System/Interstellar and TVSI).

5. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

Wait, they're battling over who gets to Mars first, but already launch mining ships for beyond Mars? :D

6. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Mining belts are kind of easy compared to landing on a planet - the Delta V requirements are potentially less (taking off in an atmosphere is incredibly expensive) and if you believes you can extract resources to refuel once you get there, so much the better. While planets are a clearer more understood goal as a showpiece for a space program, asteroid mining is actually a more likely commercially viable option.

Mars should actually have been first anyway by this lore, the project just failed. The implication (though I maybe need to flesh it out more) is that the original Mars project was designed before the access to fusion (a real life project of exactly this nature is being discussed) and either departed before it could be upgraded, or was boot-strapped at the last minute.

7. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

lol i love how the first half is your political satire of various countries. you englishmen and your eternal war with the scots...and then over here "the south will rise again!"

i like how you track mars' political developments after Phoenix departure, which is something i never really thought about. I'll have to get you some more Phoenix specific stuff to add to this timeline as well.

8. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

Merkelstadt? :-D

(btw what's up with this wolves stuff?)

9. Tristavius Senior Engineer

It's true - the Scotland thing is definitely a tongue-in-cheek jab at the events of last year. As an internationally raised anti-independence Scot married to an English-Indian and living in the Middle East the whole issues is rather intriguing to me, and I very much doubt judging by the social attitudes back home that we've beard the last of this.

The US I felt that the 'American interfering in International politics' thing was getting boring and that it needed to be something more home-soil. Finding a viable opponent for such a thing is hard though. China and Russia are just as cliche and would almost certainly involve a more serious war than the 'series of border skirmishes and civil wars' thing I was going for. So yeah, time to break out the confederate flags!

Perhaps it's come across a little too cheesy though? :p

10. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Think I'm going to abandon that - it was a 'dangers of gene-engineering piece' I wrote for the Wolf Patrol Boats but was never 100% happy with.

Merkelstadt gave me a chuckle though :p

11. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

i think it all depends on how serious you are wanting the first half of the timeline to be. alot of it i think was a bit cheesy but if you are going for humor i think it's definitely good. the second half was quite intriguing though, and really i think that's all you need if you want just that half for the serious stuff.

though i will admit i will not be surprised at all if we see a return of the CSA. when universal healthcare came in over here there was a ton of talk about it. things settled down though, as they always do. but hey elections are coming up again so fun fun! (bleh)

12. Tristavius Senior Engineer

I think I'll try and serious-up the earlier pieces then... a touch of humour is good but don't want to take away from the more serious events which at the end of the day do paint a much darker image.

I'm fairly happy with the Mars wars and the founding of the outer systems. I also like the idea of the Mars landings being an instrumental factors in calming down the problems of Earth. The rise of the Space Engineers has had the scene set but needs a ton of fleshing out over the decades.

Not going to do everything though; just provide a fairly extensive framework with lots of jumping off points which can be added to as needed. This already gives a ton of core factions - EarthGov and the nations under it (who have a large degree of self governance anyway). Mars, which is now an extremely complicated political mess and Earth now pulling a lot of the strings. Any number of exiled groups from Mars (of which Phoenix is the most prominent) with varying affiliations to Mars and Earth. The FarCloud station and corporations operating in the Jovian system (many operated by universities and private scientific institutes). Then the main Engineer factions in the belts. Finally, even the colony ships heading for Deep Space - the intention is for the first two to have arrived in thew 2070's.

13. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

Also you wrote the former engineers were working as pirates now, but there's nobody to pirate in outer solar system.;)

14. Tristavius Senior Engineer

That's true, though the other Engineering factions are potential targets. The implication is also by that point that a huge number of ships transit between Earth and Mars on a regular basis, and a lesser but significant number to the hydrogen mining and moon terraforming projects around Jupiter (that's even before the rise of factions like Phoenix around Jupiter and Saturn). I guess by this stage it's safe to say that travel around the solar system is reasonably quick (weeks rather than months or years) as the enormous delta-v allows for fast but expensive orbital transfers rather than the slow, efficient ones required today.

Still though; I totally see your point, that needs some further work to fully match up logistically.

15. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

i made my own timeline that runs parallel to yours, going into further detail of the Republic and PFS and highlighting the founding of all the major organizations of the Republic.

since it's long i won't post it here, but i will direct you to the bottom of this post

16. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Awesome - there's so many things which ties together so well; the added historical background even allows for good explanations of each major organization with regards to the greater picture. I'll incorporate all that in to the full timeline.

17. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

green feels like a terrible choice :( ....

18. mhalpern Senior Engineer

I like the green one, looks less likely to be a bullet magnet to player aimed weapons than the others

19. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

agreed. green is by far the best choice of the four. the others are all too bright

20. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Those look fantastic!

21. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

Gonna finish them soon ;)

22. Kovendon Apprentice Engineer

Wow, I've seen a lot of awesome unique features on your ships... but the way you dressed up the medium container "wings" with just a bit of armor is genius!

Ok, maybe not so great in actual combat, but it looks great.

Also, add another vote for the green.

23. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
  24. Howitz Junior Engineer

wooo Kus shipyard first steps in military technology :p awesome. i hate you tyriosh ;P

25. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

Working on this right now, adding a few guns cause of a contest where I need guns :( But Ill make a civilian Version too.

Any ideas what to add (to a pirate ship)?

26. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Keep the civilian look, better yet make the weapons concealed.

• Drug Trafficking hidden rooms. Space Weed!
    • Containment cells for prisoners for ransom.
    • A hangar bay loaded with little drones/fighters.
    • Landing gear + grinder for boarding other craft
    • Projectoflage to hide.
    • Ramming because ARRRR

27. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

That moment when you look trough various guides in steam workshop and find this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  28. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

wait you found this? who is this that dares disgrace our glorious republic?

29. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

I'm pretty sure this is not a disgrace. ;)

30. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]
    Do like Ravric said: Keep the Civilian look. The ship in the middle looks like a mining hauler but in reality its a raiding vessel with 6 fighters inside. Some times the best weapon is making everyone under estimate you and not taking the threat you pose seriously enough.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.