Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

LAN in the next update

Discussion in 'General' started by BossAlien -_-, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. BossAlien -_- Trainee Engineer

Hello,

I would like to see LAN in The next update because it would keep The game interisting.
    Building ships with your friends is a lot of fun.

I would understand if that will not hapen because it would be to awesome to be true.

2. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

As far as I remember, the multi will have dedicated servers, which I personally will be getting for use for the Dominion. LAN is a great idea but probably not as big a concern or want for most people as other things are.

3. BossAlien -_- Trainee Engineer

Fastest post ever!

4. zyphyer Trainee Engineer

LAN would be nice. How can you say no to another useful feature? Moreover if the Devs can use this time to advance the game further I think it can wait.

5. casus Trainee Engineer

You can run dedicated server on LAN, too. You just need a bit of network knowledge, thats all.

6. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

Well, I certainly don't have any :woot:

7. crazyrobban Apprentice Engineer

Prioritize internet.
    Most of us don't live with our friends. ;)
    Joking aside, if the devs create the ability to host a listen server on the internet, a LAN only button binding the listen port to allow only connections from the same subnet, would be very easy.

8. BossAlien -_- Trainee Engineer

Make a "how to" manual of this and make a topic.

Would be awesome!

9. Physics Prop Trainee Engineer

I think lan would be great fun, and i know a few friends who would greatly benifiet (sorry for the grammar) from it. I for one would really like to see it too, but like others have said, internet is more of a priority. I would love to jump on a server and build with some people.

10. Physics Prop Trainee Engineer

Another thing, i feel like we all expect the devs to be speedy designers who rush ideas into the game just because a lot of people want it. You need to learn that the developers have lives and can't ALWAYS work on the game.

11. BossAlien -_- Trainee Engineer

Ever seen Japanese people working...they work till they fall a sleep.

12. David184 Apprentice Engineer

yes! i would really like lan! i have like 2 friends who have space engineers and i would like to have lan!

13. atvking Trainee Engineer

Just a heads up.. you should change your pc specs - DDR3, not GDDR3 - Unless you have a GPU with 8gigs or ram, which is impossible

14. Ironmike Apprentice Engineer

LAN was big 13 years ago, now with everyone having broadband kinda makes it pointless to implement and use that dev time to optimize MP (IMHO)

15. Evito Apprentice Engineer

This. Though it is excessively easy to implement, simply a button to limit addresses to same subnet will accomplish it.

I've no idea why people assume making a LAN function is easier than just adding an MP architecture in general in the first place. Its not.

P.S. You say 13 years ago? I played on the net back then, LAN was big in 1993-1998 or so ha. Unless you lived in an internet backwater like US.

16. Wyvyrias Junior Engineer

And still nobody could use the internet without it.

B2T: A LAN-Mode would mean multiplayer. And the multiplayer isn't ready yet.
    Besides this I think they will integrate a LAN-Mode. It's not a big deal compared to the whole MP.
    And I think Miner Wars 2081 also had a LAN-Mode, right?

17. Belamico Trainee Engineer

LAN or Multiplayer asap please :) i am Alone in the Big World with no Quest just Building objects!!! A friend, npc, or something Else Would be awesome. Btw. I am Testing that Game for Friends. They would buy it - only reason for Not buying it is the missing Multiplayer. I Think that Game has very good ambitions to be the next no1 sandbox. Sry for bad englisch and Capital letters in cause of iphone correction in German :)

18. Ironmike Apprentice Engineer

(I didnt want to date myself too much lol - and the US invented internetz in the 60's :D)

19. Evito Apprentice Engineer

They invented it but they never got around to implementing proper connections for people. And i mean including today. Always half a decade behind the curve.

If you're wondering what i mean by this, limited connection speeds, data limits per month, expensive connections especially if you go above your "data plan" i'd never even heard of that until an American friend told me about such things and i did a double take.

The worst connection i've had since 2000 is a 2mbit/1mbit ADSL, currently my "cheap as in Free!" connection is 10/2, i could pay 15 bucks to get it upped to 100/10 but i don't download as much stuff as some other folks do so why pay.

LAN was useful when modems were used with extremely bad data plans, i've had an unlimited amount of data transfer on my connections since 1996. Including my cellphone since 2001.

20. Jeventa Trainee Engineer

Agreed. Multiplayer would be a massive bonus for this game's popularity and word-of-mouth. Think of it like Minecraft and it's success. No one wants to spend 12 hours building a massive space station with no one to appreciate it with, smashing ships into it and watching your friend's stuff get destroyed as you laugh over Teamspeak/Vent/Mumble/Skype.
    +1 -- definite milestone. This game is a breed of it's own right now.

21. Ironmike Apprentice Engineer

Upload does suck in the US....must be the fascination with downloading everything...

I suppose the only advantage with lan atm really imho is dual boxing with yourself or a couple friends:D

22. Evis Apprentice Engineer

LAN first seems silly.

You'd basically force people to setup VPNs, which means players want internet MP.

23. Evis Apprentice Engineer

"They invented it but they never got around to implementing proper connections for people."
    What you talking about, Willis?

DNS is what enabled the "proper connection" of people.

Once again, you demonstrate a clear lack of knowledge about the stuff you write. Sigh.

The issue you actually raise is the size of America verses other countries.

[​IMG]

Delivering high speed internet access to rural areas is not economically feasible or technically possible in some cases.

All major metro areas have reasonably priced, stable internet. Heck, I get 70ms and 60 mbps D and 35 mbps U to London, and I'm on the US East Coast. It costs me about 75 USD.

To call the US an internet backwater is to be ignorant of the facts. Where are you, by the way?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.