Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Large Grid Ship, Small Grid Bridge!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by FireGuy1996, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

Here is a neat little trick I just recently discovered how to do! I know some creators have been doing this for ages, but I finally learned the secret of the connectors!

I discovered this while working on my UNSC Nevada Class Superfrigate, and carried it over to my Cairo station

Here it is a completely normal large grid ship on the outside, but enter the bridge of the ship and you enter into a completely small grid made command deck! Plus its a two story bridge!

I also used the trick to make some smaller tables and workstations in other parts of the ship. Surprisingly enough, it doesn't impact performance as much as I thought it would, and it looks kick ass!

What do you all think?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Looking good.
    So you made these with connectors?
    I have been mainlt using rotors for mech parts like armor plates.
    --- Automerge ---
    Is there some secret trick to them since the connectors are placed in the ceiling?
    Or are there ones beneath too?

3. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

The only thing that worries me about these hybrid builds is what happens when you lose power or a mate presses Y in the wrong seat too many times. You'd better hope you built in some tolerances into the spacing or splode inbound. And yes, it does look good.

4. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Most people use rotors instead of connectors.. then turn on the safety lock so it doesn't cause trouble!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Is there some secret trick to them since the connectors are
    Its better to restrict the angles to 0 and 0 degrees

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Malware Master Engineer

I disagree. By safety locking you ensure that the connected grids does not affect center of mass. Rotors without safetylock on does that.

7. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Why not both?
    And thanks for tge info!

8. Malware Master Engineer

Both is fine, I do that :D

9. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Good side in choking the allowed angles is that it eill not budge no matter what you do. Even if you lose power.
    Rotor with max friction can still move

10. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

I've always used rotors to make the armor plating along the exterior of the ship that's in angles I can't quite get with normal block placement, didn't consider them for this kind of an application though.

As far as shutting down the power of the ship, I didn't think that would disconnect the connectors? I have multiple fighters docked in my Paris class frigate and from what I can recall, shutting the ship down never disconnected them.

I'll have to do some experimenting.

11. ewanX3E Trainee Engineer

connectors also work through catwalks, which is an advantage over using rotors.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

Looks great! It hurts my body to think about typing on those keyboards though.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.