Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Large Ships: Not Viable for Survival?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Buddymcfriend, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Jacob Ellinger Trainee Engineer

I listen to music and chat with friends on skype while doing the boring stuff.

2. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

I wound up building a gravity gun around my stone ejector, and now I use it to dig divots in new asteroids I find so I can see what they've got at a distance. It's really not a responsible use of gravity generators, but I find that ejecting unwanted stone at a high rate of speed is more amusing than just having it float away.

It's also good for digging divots in passing NPC ships, but I have to work on my marksmanship.

3. drageuth Trainee Engineer

I know I'm late to the game, but I just thought I'd weigh in. I play with all settings on realistic, and I -still- usually end up building at least a large-sized miner. The large drills just outclass the small ones by that much. It's usually the second or third ship I make.

The first ship I make is a builder-grinder that's usually solar powered, for exploring and construction of future ships. I also use it to scrap the starter ship and turn it into my first base.

Then I either add a drill to the builder, make a dedicated small miner, or pirate an NPC ship for materials if an easy one is passing by. I usually have a lot of leftover materials from the starter ship, especially thrusters, so I can build a smallish large-ship pretty easily with just a few passes of a small miner or the parts from a single NPC ship.

Of course, the limited number of parts means that I have to try and cram all the parts to make it work close together since I don't have the materials to make conveyor lines and such. It's.... never exactly ended up pretty[​IMG]

4. mze9412 Junior Engineer

I am currently building my second large ship in my infinity world. The first was too heavy and my first real attempt at a large ship. The second one will be a bit smaller but contain a docking bay for my grinder and welder ships and the possibility to transport my mining rig (automated and docked). It has everything I need (refineries, assemblers, storage) and will be my mobile base. It takes a few hours to build but it is well worth it :D

5. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

gotta start somewhere, lol. If that's all you can manage then you might be better off with a multi-drill small-craft until you get the operation rolling. ;)

6. drageuth Trainee Engineer

Eh, I find that a single large drill is way more effective than even a largish array of small ones. It's so much more sturdy and mines at such a fast rate. Not to mention the massive advantage a large-scale ore detector gives you in infinite mode...

Besides, the DerpShip-Class Mining Vessel usually only needs to do 2 or 3 runs before I have the materials to make something at least marginally less shameful.

7. HCP2311 Trainee Engineer

The HMS Argonath (pic below) is 2.2Gg, has a 4-panel jump drive, a hangar for 8 w/ locks and with a crew of two its almost impossible to keep It running without regular stops for repairs. A crew of 5 could keep this thing running IF and only IF the crew could move around while at max speed. And yes that ship is what you think it used to be. I call it the Blue-Class Refit. :D Large ships are not viable without large crews.

[​IMG]

8. UrbanLegend Apprentice Engineer

I like to build my large ships in Creative and then switch the world to Survival. It's not like James T Kirk built the Enterprise as he was flying it.

9. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Why the hell do you have to repair it all the time?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.