Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Linking Program block to external controller.

Discussion in 'Programming Questions and Suggestions' started by AshenBaroque, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. AshenBaroque Trainee Engineer

I'm working on an Arduino project and want to use it as a master/slave set controller for an in game machine,
    a ship with MANY moving parts.

I was wondering if it's possible to make the program block recognize the PC USB ports or a wi-fi controller.

In game code is in C# correct?

2. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

Alternatively... have your arduino present one or more HID devices so that SE sees it as mouse+kbd.

The ultimate add would be direct analog control for blocks (thrusters, rotors, etc) and mapped button controls (for block controls, command bar, etc).

I have a programmable I/O system designed for flight simulators that handles dozens of analogs and thousands of buttons, knobs, etc. If it can interface a 737 cockpit to M$ FlightSim, it should be able to hook my joystick and a few buttons up to SE.

3. Malware Master Engineer

Of course you don't have access to external peripherals from the programmable block. The security issues aside, from the viewpoint of the programmable block your PC doesn't even exist, it's a device installed on a starship or station. If you want this kind of extensions, you'll need to write a plugin, which is the 3rd extension point for SE - and has no restrictions at all.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm going to necro this post. Instead of interfacing directly with a controller, why not use the MIDI protocol? You can get MIDI to keystroke translation software such as MIDI-Yoke. You can buy off the shelf MIDI controllers or build your own with Arduino. Once you have your controller built for MIDI the rest is just a snap and you can bypass any weirdness between interfacing your Arduino with Space Engineers. I believe you can access key presses.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.