Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Little but Annoying things in SE

Discussion in 'General' started by Spets, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spets Master Engineer

This is not a bug report (well..., kinda) Post here what little things that seems very easy to fix but they never do... ¬¬

• The crosshair still on screen when you hide the HUD. I know you can disable it in the options. But then, when you unhide the HUD because you need to aim, there is no crosshair...
    • The auto-rotation block should be OFF by default, let's ask everybody and see
    • The character steps sound effects for the jogging animation is the same as walking
    • F7
    I know I have a plenty of this, but now I can't think of more...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. Malware Master Engineer

I heartily disagree. The block auto-rotation should not be OFF by default.

It should burn.

In hell.

Forever.

I asked about the crosshair thing once btw. It's deliberate, to allow for aiming with the HUD off. (Don't kill the messenger please)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So we now have perma-crosshair? If so that would be pretty derpy... right after the welder nerfing and crap-covered windows.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Malware Master Engineer

No, it can still be switched off in the options

5. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

The character smashing his face into the window every time you preform a high g maneuver, only happens when you accelerate, not when you spin rapidly. When was this added, and why???
    Flight particles, I've delete them every time a new patch comes out that I want to play.
    Turrets won't fire at moving enemies unless moving targets is enabled, so now 65% off all the vanilla, and modded npc ships are broken.
    Hydrogen for small ships was never rebalanced, and is still pointless to use.
    Gatling turrets and rocket launchers on large grids still need to reload, they don't on small grids, KEEN WHY?
    General balance issues between grids. For example, the large grid small atmospheric thruster is a direct upgrade when compared to the small grid large atmospheric thruster.
    This list is considerably longer so I will stop here. All of the above is easy to fix, or can be solved by adding an option to turn it off.

Edit: I have to add this one, no way to disable high speed auto lock on rotors and pistons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Malware Master Engineer

:(

7. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

PLEASE TO THE MOTHER OF GOD PLEASE FIX THE CHARACTER STEP SOUNDS MY GOD
    PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

:? I only added "add an option" in the event people like watching their head clip outside of the ships cockpit when performing high g maneuvers. Personally I just want everything in the above list to be fixed or deleted :p.

9. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Our engineers are reconstituted at the med bay out of who knows what. Perhaps they are stretchy and squishy as a side effect?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. odizzido Junior Engineer

Yeah there are a few pieces of low hanging fruit in SE...

You mentioned large/small grid balance......yeah. Small grid has been better for quite a while. Lighter, more efficient, and cheaper blocks for a lot of things.

Weights are also all screwy. On 1x, if you make like a construction block out of 5kg of iron the final product will be something like 3kg. Then if you disassemble it turns back into 5kg....if you want to save fuel when flying around on a planet just manufacture components and disassemble as necessary. I imagine block weights are the same.

I guess they won't worry about that stuff until the more important things are working but it's something people playing need to deal with and it would be easy to fix.

11. Cetric Junior Engineer

- Various 3rd person views not working.
    - Spotlights shining through a layer of armor into another floor level.
    - oh yes, pistons with related explosions, but that is discussed all the time, at large, so even no 'little thing' to mention. (there is a new mod giving hope)
    - no camera live feed for monitors, related mod is non-functional

12. Zoladen Apprentice Engineer

Not sure if I should agree or mark as funny. Maybe funny since there are already agrees on it?

I would honestly like to see damaged block models. The particle effects are nice, but can't I just get a cockpit with smashed out windows and dented supports once it passes the functional level? It's been a bit of a pet peeve of mine for a while. I mean the task of making another new model for the blocks might not be small, but the idea seems like a smaller, less important thing in the grand scheme to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

It's the overly aggressive and messed up LOD's at the moment which is the most annoying little thing for me at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bumber Senior Engineer

Batteries.

'Nuff said.

15. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Not being able to tell which way some blocks are oriented when placing them is becoming very aggravating.

16. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Same here. They helped us out with LCD, but a number of blocks need similar help.

17. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

I asked the other day on the discord and was told it was a bug, since it used to toggle with the HUD. I do hope they fix it.
    --- Automerge ---
    Why is this an issue? All of the large grid small thrusters are considerably larger than the small grid large thrusters.

So long as they are reasonably proportionate it should be fine. Though of course the larger ones should be more efficient.

18. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

This is in 'Develop' mode - turned off HUD and no crosshairs. :tu:

19. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Yeah, I agree with this. I have a good machine, I don't need to be on LoD1 while ten feet from an object. And then on LoD2 fifteen feet away. The LoDs should switch when I can't tell they're switching. :)

Even if LoDs don't get their own slider, the game could look at what view distance the player has set and work out how much they do or don't care about polys on screen.

20. Nailbomb83 Trainee Engineer

Annoying is Quicksave SHIFT + F5 and Qickload F5... The scary moment when you wanted to save and the game starts downloading mods!
    And now realy annoying: lens flares. I'm blinded by my welder. even it is very realistic to whear welding glasses don't like them duirng gaming ;-) [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

: Issues :
    • Interior Turrets are still limp when you are placing them.
    • Armor textures in certain orientations are mismatched.
    • Large H tanks and small O2 tanks. Can't we just have small and large gas tanks?
    • Turrets fire on neutrals by default.
    • Anyone that isn't in a faction with you or allied to you is considered an enemy.
    : Desires :
    • A warp effect for when you spawn in ships.
    • Moisture Farms for iceless O2 rich planets.
    • Concrete for a new cheap building block.
    • Hydrogen Reactors - an alternate use for H.
    • Offroad and Onroad presets for Wheel Suspensions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

I like this one! Finally a use for all the 'stone' you pick when mining.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Bumber Senior Engineer

Makes me want to fling huge concrete structures towards planets. Mass-produced statues of space deer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

It's better in literally every way, check the stats on the two and you will see what I'm talking about.

25. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

So, um, interesting issue I found. I copied a ship in one world, then left it (without saving) and entered another one and when trying to delete an existing ship in the second world I accidentally hit ctrl + V instead and pasted the ship I copied in the first world, but that ship was actually labeled as an enemy ship, because my other ships blew it to smithereens and the antennae signal was red. Long-story-short ship pasted in another world is considered enemy.

26. Devon_v Senior Engineer

These are both available in mods, and fit the game quite well, being planet-only QOL features basically. Both should be added to vanilla.

27. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

wheels....but in all fairness they did tease some stuff on that.

the only other things at the moment that bother me are cosmetic animations....not as hazardous as stuff exploding tbh

the first person animations could use a touch up....again im sure they're on that...like you walk with the drill in 1st person your left wrist goes all stretchy like engineer is made of rubber....maybe he is... O.o

meanwhile in third person the drill and gun wasn't in my hands....im sure thats fixed by now...most likely didn't have some skeleton node assigned to attach itself to the engineers hands.....also moving while holding a tool in first person the engineers fingers move oddly.

28. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. TwoHedWlf Trainee Engineer

That's the bug from the LCDs, I believe.

30. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Yeah, LCDs cause that. You just have to be in the general vicinity of them and it happens. Pretty sure they don't even need to be on, or powered.

The issue with lighting is that it all has to be done real-time, with few to no shortcuts. The game's handling of light is much better now than it has been, but the whole issue with interior lights is if you do full directional sourcing on them they lag out the game. If you don't, they bleed through things.

Lighting is hard. In most games the lighting you see is heavily cheated and tweaked by the level designers.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.