Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Load times

Discussion in 'General' started by UnCommentator, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. UnCommentator Trainee Engineer

I was just wondering why load times are so long. At a minimum when I play it's usually 2 minutes to load into any world; filled with stuff and hours of play time, or 100% empty.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I just purchased an SSD yesterday for the main reason of faster loading times for Space Engineers, and much to my surprise the load time was not faster.

I would also like to know why load times are so long even on SSD's... I mean my previous hard drive could do 60mb/s read, the ssd I chose can do 540 mb/s read... loading time should be faster right?

3. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, I've recently had the Task Manager up while playing SE and there's some network activity going on.

2 minutes is not long for a game to load. I use a lot of mods and I am used to a 45 minute load time. It is definitely due to mods, and I wonder why those files are not stored locally. Or perhaps because a search for mod updates occurs first, perhaps there's an attempt by the game to update every mod whether there is an update or not? I don't know, but if a 2 minute load irritates you, stay away from mods.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I have no mods installed and I'm not connected to the internet, singleplayer offline.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

you didn't mention your load times.

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Over a minute, both on hard drive and ssd... with an ssd I thought it was going to be faster, so there must be another reason load times are slow.

7. StormField Apprentice Engineer

I've got 8x Samsung 843t in Raid 0. 20km empty world (dev env) loads in less than 4 seconds. Connecting to 180mb local DS takes about 20 seconds.

8. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

It might be more fair to call it "processing" time instead of load time as I think the main bottleneck is the game geting its ducks in a row, not just the mear task of loading assisits from disk to ram.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Super Fast... then again it is an empty world.

I hope Keen do improve loading times for game world that contain things -_-

10. StormField Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, with a typical clean empty solar system start its about 9 or 10 seconds. That's why I keep the dev environment, as it allows me to immediately get an idea drafted.

11. Devon_v Senior Engineer

They mentionedthat part of the problem is that every time you load it dumps everything out of memory and VRAM and starts loading everything from the disk again. Given that the G-menu had a major bottlneck in its original loading rotuine, it's possible something remains to be fixed in the file load rutine. It is after all setting up far more data than the game had when it was originally written. (Even an empty world is 6.6AU worth of emptiness to set up as a play field)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. UnCommentator Trainee Engineer

My load time is consistently 2 minutes, empty world, full world, mods, no mods. When it checks and downloads mods before it starts to load the world that's always about 1 second of load time for every 5 mods, but after that it takes 2 minutes and drains 99% of processing power for a few seconds when it's almost done.

13. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

When you load a world, SE reads and deserializes pretty much every data file it has, whether it's used in the level or not. That's a minimum of 100MB of XML to convert to DOM. I'll wager the bottleneck is memory management (XML is kinda notorious for it), so it's only natural that a SSD would have little impact on SE's load times.

14. Lupus Irae Apprentice Engineer

....Note that to achieve speed of 540 megabytes/second, you need a single large file instead of many smaller ones. As a simple demonstration, create a large (say 400 or more megabyte) archive (zip/tar/7z/rar/cpio) of many different sized files , and transfer it elsewhere. Then attempt to move those same files (all at once and not in an archive) elsewhere.
    In general, archiving many smaller files into one large file is the way to best achieve high transfer rates. This is true over networks, USB, and platter based hard drives as well.

That is not to say the SSD is "slow", just information as to why it may not always seem as fast as advertised.

Second: Saves, mods, and other things are stored in C:\users\your_name_here\appdata\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\saves\
    If that location is on your SSD load times will likely be faster. That would likely require you to have Windows installed on the SSD though, and not just Space Engineers.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  15. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

For the star system map I went from a 10 minute loading off of a 5400rpm drive to under one minute off of a 850 evo.

16. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Wow..

Maybe I should start a new world, mine is quite a few weeks old now...

17. drkrieger Apprentice Engineer

Load times on multiplayer are fantastic (under 30 seconds). The only downside is the amount of bugs in the multiplayer code (how bout that gravity?).

But yes, I agree that the singleplayer load times are a bit high. I'm running an i5-6500, 16GB DDR4-2800Mhz, and two Samsung 850's in Raid 0. Still takes ~1.5-2 minutes to load a world that contains one planet with only 2-3 ships (gravity testing/ship developement).

18. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Yeah when my buddy connects to my world he is getting like 30 second load times too.

When I load the world (star system, one (1300ish block ship, a 4500 block station and a 5000 block station in space) it only takes about 15 seconds before I'm in the cryo chamber and I can get out. When I upgraded my RAM I noticed a huge difference. Before it would take like 45 seconds or a minute, but now it loads the whole world in under 15 seconds. I know it sounds sketchy, but that is no exaggeration. I think it's the NVMe drive and the DDR4 working together so quickly. A mean overclock on the processor is probably helping too.

Edit: this is also with around 50 mods. I'll count when I get home.

@KissSh0t what are the rest of your system specs?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  19. KissSh0t Master Engineer

They are in my signature, my motherboard isn't though, that is a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 which has sata 6Gb/s, OS is on ssd, Space Engineers is on ssd also.

Ram is G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH (2x4GB), which has CL7 timing.

I can load into Battlefield 4 under a minute, every other game I have loads much faster with the ssd, Fallout 4 is very fast now on the ssd.

20. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Ahh, sorry! I'm on mobile and don't see signatures unless I rotate my phone to landscape.

I was running an FX-8350 and my load times went down considerably when I upgraded to a 5930K. I had also gotten an SSD for the sole purpose of getting SE. I think the increased processing power is a big help in load times.

My RAM timings aren't dialed in at all, I have to mess with them more. I have no idea how to OC RAM so I'm learning as I go hahah. But yeah the jump to 2400mhz when I upgraded the RAM was what really cut down loading times.

• Like Like x 1
  21. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Hum... can I jump the shark?

I have a Core i7, 16GB of RAM(Corsair Vegeance), Samsung SSDs too and mods or no mods the load time fluctuates from 3 to 4 minutes.

The problem with mods is real, that's another discussion entirely, because the Workshop is set up in a way now that if a Modder remove or blocks his mod, the game will also block you from using it. It seems a Copyright control tool, but also makes SE search the Workshop for the Mod status, plus any update... something that should be done when the game starts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Can I have more specifics? Are the ssd's is RAID? What frequency and model is the processor? And what frequency is your RAM?

Make sure your processor is set to run at high frequency when it's needed. One of my buddies had a laptop that was clocking his processor high enough in order to save power and his load time and frames were affected when we set it to run at full frequency when plugged in.

Edit: also, is your RAM overclockable? The higher frequency I got from and upgrade was a huge impact on my load times.

23. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Sure... before... not being a D... but I'm an IT pro.

No, SSD not in RAID, it's a Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520... but I upgraded the HD and RAM. In random reads this SSD get's around 160Mbps

Processor is Intel core i7 3632QM, with Turbo Boost enabled and Energy settings to High Performance.

The RAM sticks are 1600MHz, check their specs here.

Yep... I do Network Analysis for security purposes, also GitHub... so you can bet my processor goes into "supernova" mode every day. :p

• Like Like x 1
  24. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

For SE you really need at12GB of ram at minimum. I saw a huge jump when i went from 8 to 12. Even with it now being in asyc dual channel.

25. KissSh0t Master Engineer

SE never get's close to maxing out 8GB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Hahah oops, yeah you probably know what to check then :p

I would think that 160mpbs is a little slow for an ssd though, right l? A sata connection should get at least 500mbps. Not sure if that is what laptops use though, as I don't know much about them.

27. Potter Apprentice Engineer

I think he's right though. When I got more RAM it started to use more. I think it limits itself to a percentage of the total available system memory.

Edit: my world is loaded in at 6.5 GB.

28. Lupus Irae Apprentice Engineer

Again, single player save files may not always be located where the game itself is. If you have SSD (is SSD plural like,"sheep"?) and HDD, if Windows is installed on the HDD, very likely your mods and saves are as well.

29. KissSh0t Master Engineer

You are using "High" textures? I am using Medium, loaded my world that is quite a few weeks old and it is using 4.1GB.

I will change to High textures to see what that does to memory usage.

[​IMG]

*edit*

I laughed so hard that I farted.

Yeah.. this made my day.. And I used to use High textures too :D

Maybe I need a pagefile.. That is the only thing that has changed since getting ssd.

[​IMG]

30. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

I think the game detects the amount of RAM you have and scale up as needed.

When I had 8GB SE was using close to 6 GB... after I upgraded to 16GB, the usage goes up to 12 GB... I noticed less lag when loading asteroids and such now, might be because more stuff is in the RAM ready to use.

That result was random reads... that means small to mid-size files being read at random. That type of operation creates latency, very little on SSDs but it does. That's also the "realistic" speed, a simple test measure the max speed at 540 Mbps.

Both the game and the save files are in the same drive for me... all the Steam games are in fact.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.