Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Locating Iron

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Tetelestai, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tetelestai Trainee Engineer

Hello,

Anyone have tips on how to find Iron, in a new world after the update, survival.

What does it look like?

Thanks

2. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Grass have diferent color from green to yelow/red ( looks like diing grass, no idea what is name for that rusty color :( ) and i did find iron moust of time from 8-12m ( not sure if its all times like this ).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  3. tmike Apprentice Engineer

I have hered there are richer iron deposts in the Mts are there any cluse where those might be?

4. Stijn Van Hoecke Trainee Engineer

Anyone else having issues when they locate an iron spot, digging works just fine as long as you are in the dirt layers or stone layers without any iron ore. Whenever hitting a spot which has an iron ore deposit, nothing happens. Went through 2 full axes on the same block, nothing happens...

5. Merandix Junior Engineer

Find a patch of red-brown or yellow grass, dig down an incline towards rock (different colour, and your axe now produces a 'tink' as opposed to a 'thump'), you will likely notice brown patches in the rock. You now hit iron ore. You get roughly 1 iron ore for every 5 stone. Make sure the targeting reticule in the centre of the screen gets the interaction circle around it. If you just have a + then you're attacking the rocks. This will wear down you and the axe, but doesn't mine anything.

Tip for quicker mining: the ore generally is a few meters down below the rock. Once you've hit the ore, mine a horizontal tunnel, don't excavate an open pit mine with a stone axe. As you will need quite a lot of iron, build your first house close to it.

6. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

Try a pickaxe or wooden mallet...?

7. Stijn Van Hoecke Trainee Engineer

You need iron to be able to create a pickaxe, which is impossible if you can't get iron to begin with :)

8. tmike Apprentice Engineer

never had a problem useing a stone axe to get iron, though it does take a lot longer to dig up the or like it does to cut down a tree where talking 2-3 strocks for a pick axe... or 2-3 sings with a axe to cut and it seems more like 10-20 to do the same thing weith a stone axe

9. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

Chicken, meet egg. ???

I used a wooden mallet, got some ore, and I've been using a pickaxe since. Never thought to try using an axe, figured it wouldn't work.

I wonder if you can punch the trees like in Minecraft? I'll have to try that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tmike Apprentice Engineer

Actually useing a stone ax as a mining tool, actually makes a lot of since.... a lot more since historicly speaking then most people seem to think.... There is a lot of arcealgical evidince of stone tools being used to mine copper, tin, salt, cool, even iron. and to quary stone.... I dont know of any one finding evidiance of stone tools being used for mining in the iron age... but in the bronze age. mineing was done with tools made of stone or bone. The romans actually had a really interesting way of mining at least gold in Britan. The would build a fire next to the rock and once it got hot they would throw water on the stone causing it to crack and often shatter

11. Stijn Van Hoecke Trainee Engineer

Omg yes :woot:! I never thought of using a mallet but that worked, thx for the info :tu: Thought mallets were for building purposes only... and axes for resource gathering :D

12. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

Set the foliage details and grass density to disabled, vegetation view distance to far, use spectator camera to fly around, and look for the rust-colored spots. I had a hard time locating a deposit with grass and foliage turned up, turning them off made it a lot easier.

Like you say, it makes sense... "stone age" and all that. Just need to find a rock that's harder than the one you're swinging at.

If memory serves, somebody (Egyptians?) used a method for quarrying sandstone that involved cutting the rock with quartz sand as an abrasive.

Does it work any better or worse than an axe?

13. Stijn Van Hoecke Trainee Engineer

That's the odd thing... in my game ONLY the mallet seems to work for iron... neither axe nor pickaxe work when getting iron... the blocks simply won't break using axes. I can only get regular rocks with them. The iron ones only break when I use a mallet :/

14. Merandix Junior Engineer

15. Stijn Van Hoecke Trainee Engineer

16. Arturo Cofresi Trainee Engineer

Use the proper tools for the job, this had me going in circles and i figured, hey maybe there is a stone pick. Well no, everything needs large stone to research or make it and hitting the ground with other tools is like trying to kill a barbarian with a stone axe for me, they got me 5 times until I just went and turned them off. Would have been nice if there was a board with text on the guild that told you to use a tool meant to chop trees to dig like a dumb-dumb. Seriously I'm about to start uttering zug-zug while I dig with my mallet. Sheesh.

17. Stoner Apprentice Engineer

@Tetelestai @tmike I don't know if ME worlds are procedurally created. I assume not. If not, you will find a rich Iron deposit at Levos C5/C2. It is halfway up the mountain. You will not be able to climb to the top of the deposit to start mining (as most of us do). I placed a mining platform (with Smelter and Small Storage chest) at the highest point I could climb. From the platform, I cut a stairway to the top of the deposit and began mining from there. So far, I've recovered almost 1000 Iron Ingots, and I still have plenty of mining to do there. My main operating base is walking distance; it has the Smithy and other storage chests for the ingots.

You can tell you have a rich deposit. Unlike the low-yield mines with spotted stones, rich deposits look like the stone is bleeding.

Sidebar: I almost gave up on this game because locating Iron was near impossible. Then, I learned The Secret; view in third-person and look into the distance. Iron deposits are in stark contrast to the mountains. Now, Iron everywhere.

18. Vorg Trainee Engineer

I just got this game and being red/green color blind, I find it very hard to find these spots.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.