Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Looking for an Air mod with a difference...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Moose Tetrino, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Moose Tetrino Trainee Engineer

Hello everyone,

I've tried my best but I simply can't find the area in which to do it myself. I'm looking for a mod (either I implement it with some pointers, or one exists) that adjusts oxygen values per block in a pressurised room, or adds a scrubbing system.,

Essentially one of my largest personal longstanding issues with how pressurisation works in SE is that there appears to be no real advantage to actually pressurising a room. It's a great bit of RP and introduces lovely engineering challenges but on a pure mechanical level, pressurising a room does not gain you anything over refilling your suit O2.

For a while I wrote this off as a tricky design challenge, but having played a chunk of Hellion recently I realised that we could change this with a mod that either:

1. Introduces an air scrubber block that will "recycle" air (realistically for mechanical purposes this block would just spawn a small amount of Oxygen into the conveyor system if said block is in a pressurised room while a player is present in the same space to prevent unlimited O2 gen).
    2. Doubles the available air within a given "Air" block - according to the Wiki (may be outdated) that would bring O2 to 2 solid units per 1m³ - without increasing the resource cost to produce it.

The first option involves a new block and potentially some nasty calculations over whether a player is in the given pressurised space (I am unsure if there is an easy way to tell this) but would be more balanced as per the spirit of Space Engineers.

If balanced correctly, a room with a scrubber should be able to retrieve around 90% of the oxygen in the room that all characters in the room are using (playerCount*oxygenRatePerPlayer*0.9) meaning O2 is still spent but at a vastly reduced rate.

The second option is more universal and doesn't need to take into account where a player is, but is less scaleable and a bit too automatic for my taste.

Any thoughts? Does something like this exist already? How easy is it in a mod to determine if a/how many player(s) are in a given pressurised cell?

Thanks!