Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Lore/Story Lore of the Phoenix Universe

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by Lord Commissar, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

Love it. it captures a lot of what i had in mind for Horus but never explicitly stated within the timeline. I based their rise off the rise of the Nazi party - an idea of nationalism, gaining support from those fed up with their current government, and intimidating the rest. that latter part is very well illustrated here.

If there's anything else you'd like to add to it go ahead. otherwise, i'll get this added to our neglected "Datafiles" guide ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Man that was awesome - a superb piece! Half makes me want to finish the couple of short stories I'd started and half makes me think they are nowhere near good enough.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Aww shucks :) Thanks.

It may not be virality, but three guys I respect telling me it's pretty good is... pretty good.

Do please! If they're anything like your ships they'll be absolute masterpieces.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

Added

And @Tristavius if you don't turn in your report soon i'm going to start taking points off for tardiness. Then you'll fail my class and never graduate.

5. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Hmn. Is there any current status on the lore concurrent to (or after) the current conflict between CEU and Phoenix states? Especially pertaining to the ongoing Second Terrestrial Civil War?

6. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

it's been discussed some. right now the main focus is pulling together the full synopsis guide for the Europa Conflict, and then we will turn more attention to the future.

However, right now we are looking at the introduction of a third party into Earth's revolution by CEU forces aided by PFS and possibly HLF (once i run that part by him). The goal would be to further prolong earth's war and tie up their resources, so as to buy more time for the outer solar system to prepare against Earth's inevitable incursion (especially if a Horus victory were to occur).

7. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Coming to be known as the '71 Papers, the extensive series of studies and reports overseen and compiled by RAdmrl F.M. Sullenworth were presented in the famous 2071 SDC doctrine evaluation report, sparking over the next decade what would be a doctrinal renaissance within ESC Joint command. Although largely unnoticed behind the political turmoil that had begun to simmer in the inner planets, the shift in focus of the ESC from a colonial militia towards a unified military power capable of interplanetary force projection would have profound consequences for humanity in the decades to come.

I might write some subsections with more fluff about tactical missiles and the adoption of dreadnought and carrier fleets (hey hey TVSI) if there's interest.

That sounds wonderful! (horrible, for the people of Earth I mean). Let me know if you want me to do any writing, I throw this stuff together when I have a moment but I'd be happy to work on something larger! (or for that matter let me know if you think my writing is horrible and I should stop bastardizing your poor timeline).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

the preface you have there looks good. if you are interested in writing up tactics for earth style conflicts then by all means go ahead. Phoenix and CEU's tactics were established, but earth not so much. You're welcome to define tactical differences between Horus and Themis and come up with any skirmishes there.

Remember that Horus would have the majority of the military under its control and is philosophically quite agressive. Themis would likely resort to more propaganda style tactics due to their political power and smaller fighting force. That's a basic guideline though, so feel free to bend it. Both are morally depraved, so acts of terrorism are free game.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

Made a new story showing the arrival of the Phoenix Heavy Fleet into the Europa Conflict, which marked a turning point of the conflict as Phoenix established a relative dominance in space, though they continued to have difficulty on the ground.

This story can also be read along with the others here

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

More late night procrastination, loosely inspired from (potential future) Phoenix lore, I guess I might as well post it here.
    I could easily replace Jovian with Martian and have it be a whole lot less sp00ky and pretentious. But hey I guess I'll just leave it as a portent of things to come
    :carlton:oooOOOOOOoooooOOooo:carlton:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

it's well written and I like it, but fitting it in the lore would require some changes.

if we are invading Europa, then the story would probably work best with CEU instead of Phoenix as the soldiers, since Phoenix was on the defensive there.

If you keep Phoenix as the protagonist, then the story would work best set on Mars in a covert operation by CEU and PFS (note PFS not all Phoenix) to covertly extract technology before retreating again. the only thing to change there would be the planet and faction names, and that there wouldn't have been a navy battle since the entire goal of the mission is to get in and out as fast as possible without being noticed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Definitely, looking back I'm not quite sure what I was going for. Could certainly be CEU forces kicking off an invasion after the slow defeat of a Phoenix fleet, (or perhaps even a future invasion of Europa by the ESC following a Phoenix/Horus victory on their respective fronts). For that matter I could change the setting to Mars and have it as the opening to the First Colonial War some years previously.

What do you think?

13. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

writing on the past might be better, since we haven't fully established the future yet so things are subject to change. so the invasion of mars in the 2040s could work well.

it also doesn't quite fit your story, but the style you write it would work well to write about Themis' version of "The Night of Long Knives" where Horus is declared treasonous and its leaders hunted down and executed.

14. Tristavius Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

So I've been spending quite a lot of time drawing planets of late, thought I'd put it to good use showing the ' history' of Mars as well as the terraformation efforts. Based on actual Mars height maps and geological data. Had to pick a side to show of course and I chose the more interesting (i.e developed) side; based on a lot of factors the far side tends to be a lot less terraformed. The most logical place to begin human habitation is around the Valles Marineris canyons (pictured) which are well suited to begin created enclosed artificial environments and using the cliff walls to aid in construction of domes or tunnelled cities. Pavonis Mons not far to the west (not shown) provides a perfect equatorial mountain for a space elevator. The other likely area of interest is on the far side around the Hellas Planitia basin; the deepest point on the planet and likely the first place to see standing bodies of water. The 6 images show Mars in its original form at the time of the first landing in 2039. By the time of the Colony's charter in 2050 efforts have began to release water into the atmosphere and create small lakes in canyons and craters. By 2062 the first greenery can be seen in carefully managed areas around human civilization while storm system cover the planet, unlocking more and more water reserves. Melting of the icecaps is gradually flooding the Northern Hemisphere which by 2074 is well established as a sea; the increased areas of greenery are gradually removing c02 from the atmosphere. By 2089 much of the hemisphere is colonized and for the first time the atmosphere is human survivable, if still only in short bursts and uncomfortable; a trend which continues to improve to the current day where the sea levels have finally capped out.

Full UHD glory!

• Like Like x 5
  15. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

This is sooooo beautiful, i cant describe... very very VERY well done !!!!

16. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

i always hated the idea of terraforming mars. to me, it's beautiful in its alien state and making it like earth is boring lol.

very well done, though. (and i support it in the lore as it makes sense). only lore problem i notice right away is just under languages. the conglomeration of languages and isolation from earth was said to form a new language/dialect known as martian by the time Phoenix breaks off. English would still be the trade language, but Martian was the local language, with some varying degrees of variance based on which part of mars (and thus which primary earth settlers founded the area) they were from.

this detail is really only important because Phoenix develops Titian based on the Martian language.

17. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

18. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Of course! When it comes to making terran-like worlds other than Earth, Mars is an extremely obvious starting point for people doing space art as there's a wealth of information available from NASA etc. I myself have seen many visions of what it may looks like. The one you linked is good; there's a lot I like about it, though it does feel like it simply had it's colour tones changed rather than effort put into thinking about how plantlife may start and expand etc. There's also much betters ones out there than both this one and mine, but I'm quite happy with this for a first effort at space art :)

19. Tristavius Senior Engineer

I can imagine that wherever we humans go we'll choose to make a nice mess of the place! No problem with the languages; that was just scribbling at 2am, I'll change to reflect the correct lore.

I may also do views of the far side of Mars, which on my textures has quite a lot less greenery... I of course picked the most interesting face to use for this but it maybe gives a false impression of things overall.

I produced 6x 12,000+px textures for this and used a height map to determine the gradual sea level rises, capping out at about where they reckon Mars' old seas had once been. I used some of the limited data on terrain type etc to try and figure out where would be best for plant life, where would likely form flood plains etc, as well as where it would be easiest/preferable to build settlements. I never liked the common style in these images of the whole planet suddenly covered in plants, it makes more sense to me that they would spread outwards from civilization. Flatter lowland (after sea level change) areas, especially with old river channels are of course the ideal and unlike just blanket carpeting, my plant life mostly avoids cliffs, mountains and the likes. Craters make for particularly good mini-environments for life, though the steep walls remain mostly bare and some have become lakes.

Using substance designer I can actually now more or less do the sea levels, plant growth and cloud coverage just with adjusting some numbers, though the images above I hand edited to get exactly how I wanted. I'm hoping that once I can do it totally dynamically I can then use similar techniques in After Effects and use it for animation.

20. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

You might also want to take into account that as mars is farther away than earth from the sun and so either mars will have to have more green house gases to trap more sunlight in and that the equator will prolly be a sweetspot for fauna as going too far north or south will be too cold for plant life. Also don't forget ice caps and snowy regions.

21. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

you may also want to consider the political factors of Martian development

early martian development would have focussed on mining and military industries. it was 100% about profit for earth but slowly became something more independent. after the colonial war, military would be the primary industry as earth seeks to force mars to help it rebuild its navy, with martian military industry reaching its peak around 2077 when earth takes full control.

martian development would take a more civilian turn after 2081 when Venus is viewed as a more viable and more easily managed colony for industry. while Venus' focus was more on mining than military, by this point we can assume the ESC military was back to a very viable level, so simple profit was a much greater motivation for them. Venus has easier transit windows, and Mars' past focus on military industry would now become a burden to the ESC. ESC would divert resources to Venus, so Mars would then seek to sustain itself through the civilian development.

this situation continues until 2098, when Jump Drives solve the transit windows problem and Mars' trade with earth becomes more commonplace. after this point, its non-military industries would get a re-surgence and the planet would rival and perhaps even surpass Venus due to it being more populated and developed.

that's some general considerations. if you think another option is more plausible go ahead. the only thing that's "canon" right now is that Venus is favored over Mars between 2081-2098, which is one of several factors to the rise of Horus and Themis

22. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I think that picture is beautiful.

Are you planning on doing the other worlds in our universe? Titan, Ceres etc?

• Like Like x 2
  23. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

Titan would be glorious to see :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Tristavius Senior Engineer

The Mars thing was actually also a non-SE work as well, building myself some high end textures and shaders with dynamic oceans/foliage just for some general artwork, but couldn't resist using the early simplified versions for a bit of Phoenix lore. As soon as I finished it I was inspired to another piece related to the Europa conflict which I've started, but Titan is extremely tempting as well! Initially it's a very flat haze but if you began removing/changing parts of the (really extremely deep) atmosphere if could lead to some interesting transformations. Most of it would be atmospheric detailing rather than landscape with is a whole new challenge as well! Been reading various theories for how partial terraformation might be possible and trying to envisage how that would change the look, though in this case not too much would be visible by the current timeline, I think you probably got it spot on with turbulent bands around the equator etc.

Also had a genius idea for a project today but it's really, really huge so not sure if now is the right time though!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

A huge project you say?
    I'm intrigued. Send me a pm about it man. Maybe I can assist. Happy to help where I can.

26. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

there's a bit about titan on the primary overview guide. basically, there's a long stretch of city along the saturn facing equitorial plane (titan is tidally locked). the atmosphere in this zone is contained via plasma shielding, and is mostly breathable (prolonged exposure probably not recommended). the rest of titan remains "wild" with other outposts scattered across, but these would all be sealed biomes, and their colonists would not walk about without suits.

i always pictured titan like this, just with a much thicker atmosphere (you'd expect a few city lights to peek through at night)

[​IMG]

27. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

My friend, that is what Photoshop is for.

[​IMG]

28. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

well, currently this is the picture for titan, which i made in gimp. not really satisfied with it though. there's just some H2O clouds at the equator and subtle, blue lights on the dark side

and that reminds me, the lights of the city must be blue. anything else is heresy ;)

[​IMG]

29. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

How about some yellow lights for me? :tu:

30. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

well the way i always saw it, there's an overarching architecture to the phoenix republic. this would be the standard white, smooth, pointy buildings like the embassy i built.

each corporation has its own separate architecture that would manifest more outside of more civilian areas, such as industrial sites and military facilities or shipyards. like how PFS builds in the dark blue/light gray that you see on the Phantom, Sabiroid, and Shadow. i built the sabiroid docks in republic colors because i feel that PFS would want to make a statement that the republic owns Europa, rather than do anything to simply broadcast their corporation (it's done out patriotism). however, PFS sites on places like the rings of saturn would manifest more of the actual PFS colors and a separate but similar architecture.

the idea mainly exists for aesthetic uniformity, but if you guys don't like it then i'm open to suggestions.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.