Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Low atmosphere worlds need more ice.

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by Ryuujin, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ryuujin Trainee Engineer

Not due to the need for oxygen, obviously you can compress the atmospheric gases if you need to create a breathable atmosphere. The problem I speak of is providing lift.

I might be wrong, but by my observations, it seems like the force produced by atmospheric thrusters, is proportional to atmosphere density (Which is very accurate and kudos for doing it). A small ship, large atmospheric thruster in Alien Easy Start can only lift about 40 tonnes, compared to over 200 tonnes on Earth start. But ion thrusters arn't viable either, which makes it incredibly hard to build a serviceable construction, mining or hauling craft on planets like this.

Unfortunately the alien start scenario also has very very little ice/snow to build hydrogen thrusters (About the only way you're going to get serviceable lifting force), and all of that is way up on inaccessible mountaintops and canyon ridges, far from the spawn point, so in order to move your base up there, you first need a ship capable of lifting large payloads out of the desert valley basins, and to lift large loads in this scenario you need large amounts of ice. A rather circular problem

Having played on Alien start since planets launched I hadn't realised just how great this disparity was until wastedspace made his video today detailing the output of the different thrusters, and realised that my frustration at how little output force atmospheric thrusters had was not a product of them being inherently weak but because the air is too thin to support them.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.