Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Machicolations, Ledges and Wooden stairs are broken after 0.5.x update

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by CptSpaetzle, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. CptSpaetzle Trainee Engineer

Constantly having issues placing the named blocks on MP servers:

1. Ledge/Machi/Stairs blocks do not attach to wall when placed, immediately falling off and sometimes ruining the structure beneath.
    2. Placing Machicolations activates a weird construction bug, where you constantly see construction area lines, ctrl+mouse wheel no longer allows to change the distance to the selected block and any block chosen from inventory gets immediately placed on the map.

Issue #2 has a workaround, just need to place some stationary object like bed or a table and the bug disappears, but #1 is a showstopper, one basically cannot build anything without stairs (in any convenient way).

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Erebos89 ME Tester Staff

Hi,

we are investigating this issue again. It seems like we fixed some issues with it, but there are still some.

• Like Like x 1
  3. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I re-tested this in the patch from Tuesday, but not the hot fix after that. I could retest tonight, EST. On Tuesday, I tested mounting the Battlement Ledge to a stone wall, one from 0.4.20, another wall from 0.5.x. Both reacted identically. I also removed a wood floor installed on top of the older wall and reattempted. No dice. Thanks for looking into this!

BTW, vanilla server.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  4. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

Ive noticed this bug and the one that placed 2 of a block at the same time happen in and around area(claim size) borders.
    Started playing on a server building near the middle of the area shows no problems as of yet.

Will test problem areas and post back.

5. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I've retested with 0.5.3.83166E. I'm only experiencing #1 of the OP's issues. I don't have the narrow stairs researched so I can't test that. But I have experienced the problems with Machicolations and Battlement Ledges (BL). In fact, testing the BL on an old wall and a newer stone Small Arch behaves the same. What happens is when the element is placed, it instantly duplicates to the left (which in my case there is no block there to mount to), and even perhaps a block closer to me (a second copy from the first copy). Then, all 3 animate falling down, however, about half-way down in the fall, the two copies disappear and only the original hits the ground. Once it hits, it either breaks into pieces or stays contiguous (depending on fall speed/distance) with potential for damage to structure immediately under the impact (including death of the character when standing directly under it :p ).

The fallen element can then be deconstructed, and is almost always 25-27% constructed once it hits the ground (this takes about 3 hits of the iron hammer to deconstruct the dynamically laying element on the ground). Further, I was able to isolate this issue down to the Ledges that have Battlements also. All of the platforms of the Ledges work fine, they mount and stay stable. I suspect this is similar to the machicolations but I haven't tested them (w/ or w/o Battlement).

Deconstructing a successfully mounted Platform Ledge (corner, outer/inner, etc) takes only one hit with the iron hammer.
    --- Automerge ---
    Actually, I think I have experienced #2 with the immediate placement issue. I'm just not as familiar with it.

6. kruhk Trainee Engineer

I'm also having the same first issue as the OP with any block that's larger than 1x1x1, mainly large round walls as I'm just trying to build my curtain wall atm. It seems that once the server resets i'm able to build one large round wall, after that any other large block doesn't attach to the surface and becomes dynamic as soon as I place it.

7. kruhk Trainee Engineer

This is still broken after the 0.5.4 update. Large blocks are not attaching to existing blocks on MP. They are simply falling off / becoming dynamic.

8. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I tested this for a couple hours tonight strictly with Battlement Ledges. In my DS world I did a series of trials of stacked stone blocks, stone walls, and a stone arch. I first tried it off grid but nearby existing (0.4.20) blocks, then I tried it on grid nearby existing blocks, and lastly adjacent to existing blocks. The problem seems to still be with the Battlement Ledges, the Ledges work fine.

One test in particular, I stacked 3 new stone blocks one above the other directly into bare ground near existing blocks on the same grid. I tried to mount the Battlement Ledge on the side of the top block, it fell immediately. Then I deconstructed the top block down to wooden sticks and rebuilt that same stone block. Reattempted the BL and it held fine as well as on 3 of the other sides. I deconstructed the top two blocks and then built a stone wall on the bottom block. The BL held to the wall. Then I built a stone arch on top of the wall and the BL held to the arch.

On existing structure, I deconstructed and rebuilt two pre-existing walls, one above the other, on top of a new stone block. The BL mounted to the lower wall but never to the upper wall.

I was never able to get the BL to mount to an existing stone block, with no changes, no matter how high it was off the ground. Always went dynamic and fell.

I also copied the DS save files into single player just to review the structural integrity and everything looked green and light grey.

I'm still working on standing up a test instance to upload with log files.

Was this issue supposed to be fixed with this update today? It seemed like Deep Flame was talking about it being fixed (rounding error).

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  9. Mokonzi Trainee Engineer

Things are working fine for me, though I started a new game in 0.5.3 so maybe the issue relates back to older saves?

10. Erebos89 ME Tester Staff

Hi,

after last update it should finally works.

11. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Hi Erebos89, thanks for your reply. Based on my recent post about 12 hours ago, I'm still experiencing it with intermittent results: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - with new blocks constructed in a DS world. This is also the case with the large wooden stairs. Would you be interested in a save and log files uploaded?
    --- Automerge ---
    @Mokonzi, yes this is about 0.4.20 DS saves upgraded to latest 0.5.x

• Like Like x 1
  12. Erebos89 ME Tester Staff

Hi,

why not. Send them to me and I will try to look at them.

13. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Interestingly, I had several fully constructed BL's at the top of a series of stone walls, each 6 blocks tall in the 0.4.20 build. I deconstructed these fully before going to 0.5.1. I haven't been able to reconstruct them since with no changes to those walls. So it seems this isn't a structural integrity issue. Perhaps the structural integrity is being calculated incorrectly for large stairs and the BL in DS? Just guessing, but I would expect it to behave this way if there were structural integrity issues with the block I'm trying to mount it to. Just guessing....

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  14. yomato26 Trainee Engineer

Here is a video of the stairs bug in action on my DS

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. kruhk Trainee Engineer

More examples of this issue in our unmodded server.

The steps I place at 2:36 seem to work, purely because I stuck them in the terrain hence why I tried to prop them against a solid block on top of the wall.

It definitely seems to be an issue affecting blocks larger than the cube.

16. Erebos89 ME Tester Staff

Hi,

I would like to ask you for a save to test it. We could not reproduce it in the office. We tried to use even old saves and switiching between different versions. But nothing like this happened to us.
    After talking to our programmers about this issue we fear that we will not be able to fix this. If it is what we think, all your worlds with this issue are corrupted. We would recommented to start new worlds.
    It is possible that we would be able to fix this issue but all the castles and houses would be under the ground or would fall apart.

17. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Erebos, I uploaded my DS instance and PM'd you.

Also, I have a Test DS instance that is very small with very little in it I started before 0.4.20 and have kept it upgraded through to 0.5.3.BA50E4 (last Tuesday). I stacked 3 stone type structures on top of one another (actually, stone block under a stone wall under a stone arch) both on grid and off grid and never was able to reproduce the dynamic BL issue, nor the stairs issue. While this Test DS world (1MB SBS file) is very nearly the same age (within a couple weeks) as my other DS instance that has the issue almost always, I'm thinking it now has something to do with the size of the SBS file upgraded from 0.4.20 (mine has a 7MB SBS with these issues we've reproduced regularly).

In all cases, it still takes about 10 hits to remove an unconstructed wood staircase. That's kinda crazy. Thank you for looking into this!!

boromir
    --- Automerge ---
    This same issue is also occurring with Roof Battlements when compounded with stone stairs on a stone block.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  18. kruhk Trainee Engineer

I'm trying to get the server owner to give the necessary files.. BUT I did want to add an update as I've been able to do more testing today on our server. The dynamic issue seems tied to blocks that were built pre.0.5.4, possibly pre-0.5.3. I dismantled the corner of the wall section I was having trouble with (not in the video) and rebuilt it from the ground up, the larger blocks attached fine UNTIL they hit an adjoining block that was built before the last couple of patches. The larger blocks I had placed earlier would now no longer attach large blocks again, so I had to dismantle that section of the wall, and any adjoining blocks.. rebuild the large corner blocks first, add the large round machio, then add in the smaller stone blocks. I hope that made sense.

19. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I did a lot of testing with the wooden stairs. It seems the stairs mount easily (regardless of the height from the ground) to wooden walls if the walls are old walls. I'm pretty sure "old" would be pre- 0.5.1 (perhaps they even have to be pre- 0.4.13 constructed walls) based on our building history. They also mount most of the time to old stone walls. They definitely don't mount to new (post- 0.5.1) stone walls and new wooden walls when the wall does not make contact with the ground. The stairs mount directly into the ground easily.

Deconstructing un-constructed wooden stairs has some consistency: destructing always starts at 39% and most of the time goes down to 24% and then disappears (at a rate of 2% with each hit). However, there are a few places - and it depends on structure in adjacent blocks - will destruct from 39% down to 4% and then disappear. I've only been able to reproduce the 4% destruction reliably with certain old walls. Even if the stairs are in the right place to destruct down to 4%, I can build something else in an adjacent block and those stairs will destruct only to 24%. But placing again, it will destruct to 4% again if the original adjacent structure is back in place.
    --- Automerge ---
    While running on the latest 0.5.4 release, the Battlement Ledges are successfully mounting to old stone walls (roughly pre- 0.4.13) but not old stone cubes (roughly pre- 0.4.13). Since the 0.5.1 release they haven't mounted to old stone walls or cubes built before the 0.5.1 release but after 0.4.13.

Regarding new stone walls and cubes, they don't mount at all. Except for the one time (as described above) when I deconstructed the top cube down to wooden sticks and then rebuilt it. That one was a new stone block on grid but not adjacent to any other block other than a new block below it, and it mounted successfully but the BL hasn't mounted to anything else new.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  20. Erebos89 ME Tester Staff

Hi,

thank you all for saves. I send them to programmers to analyze them!

21. boromir Apprentice Engineer

@Deepflame, thank you for looking into this issue further for a third time. Our group looks forward to starting a new world together in the future. Although it didn't work out this time, I really appreciate your team's efforts and loyalties to seasoned players and their older saves.

- boromir

• Like Like x 1
  22. Akamiru Trainee Engineer

Hi, i found out there is not only bugged battlements and machicolations but once in a while also wooden portcullis, after spawn (in survival) this gate will only fall down

23. 5phinX Trainee Engineer

Hi,

I have a world, which was created in 0.5.7 version and the bug seems to be there. We couldn't test with anything but wooden stairs yet but wooden stairs do not fix to surrounding structures. The only way to fix them is putting at least part of them in the ground.

They stick well together though. It is possible to build stairs several blocks high but still at least a part of the whole structure has to be in the ground.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.