Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Make NPCs jump in and jump out.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by leftler, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. leftler Trainee Engineer

If pull request 426: NPC Jumpable drives (shameless self plug) is merged in, when a cargo vessel appears in the game world have it appear by completing a jump that uses up the full charge on the jump drives on the ship. Once the jump drive fully recharges have the ship "jump out" and have the game despawn it after the jump animation/sound is played.

This will give NPCs a more realistic feel and players will now get some kind of warning that a NPC is about to disappear.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Sinbad Senior Engineer

+1 add it to pirate carriers too. (and make the drones have to spawn in near their base/carrier instead of wherever the scout is)

• Like Like x 1
  3. dragon boy Apprentice Engineer

yesssssssssss, this would be amazing. I think it should be an a option to disable jumping for Npcs ships so that beginner players don't have a time limit though. +1

4. Killacyte Senior Engineer

Great idea for a little immersion (if you happen to ever see a ship jump in).

5. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

I like this suggestion, realism is good :)

6. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Nice idea though it would require a refit of almost every cargo ship.

7. leftler Trainee Engineer

Some cargo ships got a refit once already, when drones where added they added programming blocks to make them change their antenna's to call for help if you get too close (At least the Private Sail does, that is the only ship I have gone near since pirate spawns where added).

Also I am not saying it make it a requirement, ships without jump drives just use the old technique of just appearing and vanishing.

Maybe make a attribute in the sbc that defines the cargo ship to let people who add ships to opt-in and choose how much power is used up when their ships spawn in (for situations where the ship does not have enough power generation to refill a jump drive in a reasonable amount of time or does not have a programming block to trigger a jump out).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  8. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

The antennas didn't require any additional space as they were already there, however the jump blocks are a fairly large thing to stick on to these ships.

Maybe if they made a smaller jump drive with less efficiency and mass carrying capability for these ships to use?

9. leftler Trainee Engineer

That's a good idea, a "Small Jump Drive" that takes up one large ship block in size. Maybe even allow it to be buildable on small ships too! But that is digressing from this thread's topic and should be posted as a separate suggestion.

10. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

I was thinking of it as a way to avoid having to drastically alter the ships we currently have though I think it should be at least 2x2x1 or even just limited to cargo and pirate ships as this shouldn't replace the normal jump drives.

But yeah this probably isn't the place ;)

11. Tyrantissar Trainee Engineer

I thought this was about NPC boarding parties jumping on the hull of your ship and ripping/sawing their way in to kill you with both ranged and melee weapons.

Other than that, isn't it a little unrealistic that NPC's have hyper drives and you do not?

12. Galaxian Apprentice Engineer

No thanks, I like large ships actually being required for something that isn't "stationary base for refining", makes carriers actually useful other than for looks.

A smaller drive for smaller capital ships with less mass carry capacity would definitely be nice, 1x1x1 might be 'too' small imo, I personally like the size of the TVSI Expediter drive though, very vanilla-like design too.

On topic - This would actually be very good for immersion! The addition for jump drives gives an effective, possible, and actual in-game possible explanation for why they appear and disappear, which means no more immersion breaking when the cargo ship next to you decides it wants to become one with space.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Legas Trainee Engineer

That's actually a rather great idea.

It always bugged me that ships spawned/despawned randomly.

14. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Right now it's the opposite, we have jump drives and they just appear from nowhere before vanishing again?

15. MaxTheManiac Apprentice Engineer

This would also be nice for when ships call for help and other ships just popup out of nowhere...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.