Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Making a save file smaller?

Discussion in 'General' started by DigitalStone, Jun 30, 2020.

1. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

When looking inside the save-folder of my world, i am seeing many files like:
    • Asteroid_0_2_-5_14_1311533266.vx2
    • Mars-2044023682d120000.vx2
    • P(EarthLike)S(2231369742)A(G(StoneCoverageIronCore)M(EarthDesertArea)__6)-808152520718562947.vx2

Recently i have noticed that loading and save times have increased dramatically.
    Would it be alright to simply delete some of these "asteroid files" and such?
    Or would i also have to erase some references in XML somewhere, making this probably a bit more elaborate process.

2. KissSh0t Master Engineer

From what I understand the references to Asteroid / Planet is everything you have touched on those voxel bodies, so deleting them would erase anything you have done to them in the game.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Have you tried SEToolBox? I haven't used it for a little while but I think it's still supported.

https://github.com/mmusu3/SEToolbox/releases

It should let you clean up any junk you don't want in your world.

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

There are several ways to do this, you can use the cleanup tools within the game, which are found in the admin screen - Alt-F10 - or outside of the game using the SE Toolbox application - https://github.com/mmusu3/SEToolbox/releases which is better in some instances. You can also just delete the .vx2 file, but if you accidentally remove something you have built a structure on, that would end badly.

Normally, the data file for an asteroid or surface boulder will only appear in the file if you have changed it by mining or collision damage, and if you remove it, the item will be restored in an untouched state once you return to its position. If you have spent a long time on a planet with meteors enabled ('environment hostility') then the planet file could have grown quite large. There are options in 'Trash Removal' - 'Voxels' to revert the planet data changes that are not close to any player or structure, which can shrink it harmlessly. Normal safe practice applies - take a backup before any cleanup operation in case of accidental deletion of needed items ^.^

• Asteroid_0_2_-5_14_1311533266.vx2 <--- this is an asteroid
    • Mars-2044023682d120000.vx2 <--- this is a planet
    • P(EarthLike)S(2231369742)A(G(StoneCoverageIronCore)M(EarthDesertArea)__6)-808152520718562947.vx2 <--- this is a boulder on the surface of Earth

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  4. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Thanks KissSh0t and thanks Roxette for your responses.

I understand now where to look for :D
    I will of course make a backup file in case something goes wrong.

The map i'm playing on is almost a year old, so you can imagine i've been (and mining) at all planets/moons and many asteroids.
    Now i'm just building and being busy at my base on Earth-like.

Will take a look at the SEToolbox. Played around with that one years ago, but thought support was discontinued. Seems to work :)
    First off, Trash Removal tool!

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

IF you have a really early save of the game and you haven't built underground or in-on an asteroid, you could use SEToolbox to remove all the grid assets from the early save, then open a second instance of SEToolbox with your current gamesave, and then drag over all of your grid assets to the "virgin" world that you haven't altered or barely altered. That might be a little easier than trying to fix a world that's been gone through like a game of Dig-Dug.

A lot of server admins will use that technique to reduce load times in elderly worlds.

6. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

That's a great method. Except it wouldn't work on my world. My base is quite specifically dug inside of a mountain.
    So any sort of dragging station-grids to virgin worlds will give off real trouble in more than 1 way i presume.
    But thanks anyway for the tip. I shall remember.