Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Marek discussed a "new game." in interview... Why not boats?

Discussion in 'General' started by Leadfootslim, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

If you haven't seen it, there's a new interview with Marek up. In it, he discusses the future of SE - and specifically cites some concerns for funding, but also a strong desire to continue pioneering and expanding the "engineering genre." One option he floats is production of a new game to garner income.

That "genre," in my mind, has a few critiera: potential for disaster, building things from scratch, and having a proud vessel/structure to show for your efforts. Medieval Engineers and Space Engineers already cover two distinct areas, so it's difficult to think of something that shares their joys without overlapping them too much.

With that in mind, there's only one place I can think to go with this. Boats!

Start with a ramshackle raft on a desert island, work your way up to a sailing ship, and eventually trade enough goods to get the iron for a steam-powered paddleboat! Save your friends when they (inevitably) fall overboard, and throw harpoons at sharks! Maybe build a diving bell eventually? Who knows!

AFAIK there are a few other games that have made a vague attempt at this sort of thing, but a straight-up Nautical Engineers would be a day one buy for any fan of SE, ME, or anything in between. What say you?

2. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

I don't see how it would really add anything. If they want to make a pirate/naval combat game in which you can design/customize your own warship then maybe.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sea_Kerman Trainee Engineer

From The Depths does that already...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Instead of "why not?" they should be asking "why?" have another <whatever> engineers when they are not likely to finish the current ones before starting a new one. I am talking a proper finished not "lets shove those features to one side and call them unsupported" style of finished.

I watch that interview with Captain Jack, like most others it boils down to Marek "not promising" something, or "dont want to spoil the surprise". Every single answer was evasive or based on what players already know or simple waffling.

I love SE, it is the only game I have with over 4k hours and still play but for once just be plain and honest. If the current version of the game engine has met its limits as to what can be achieved and upgrading it isn't a possibility without rewriting the game as SE2 then fair enough, say so. They will get far more support from existing veteran players than being evasive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

The game you are looking for is Stormworks : Build and Rescue

Basically SE : Coastguard Edition. Major differences with SE that you may or may not like :

- Vehicles you make actually have a purpose in-game. There's materials to haul and vehicles and NPC's to rescue.
    - Island terrain are standard 3D meshes, not voxels. So no terrain deformations.
    - No damage whatsoever on vehicles (or anything else for that matter).
    - Programmable block functions are scripted visually and spread over multiple blocks, which makes it easier to use for non-programmer. I cannot script my own autopilot in SE, I can in Stormworks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

KSH has no plans to implement water of any kind.

Sorry, habit.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Wazoo117 Trainee Engineer

I hate the way that game plays tho
    and it looks like total garbage

I must say what you can build is amazing

8. Thales M. Junior Engineer

I discovered this gem recently. And now I'm thinking that Space Engineers needs some sort of career mode/missions above everything else. (Also I want to mention that Kerbal Space Program has career mode/missions that makes it addictive.)

9. KissSh0t Master Engineer

SE on console will be quite a bit of income, especially if it works good.

10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Just me personally, IF (and I hate to speculate and have the SE2 talk) there is another SE, without the current SE being "finished" then that will make it hard for me to want to invest in an SE2 or a Nautical Engineers, or Foam Engineers or whatever Engineers title they may bring out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Sanitation Engineers, perhaps?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

We already have Sim City and the SIMS for that!! Haha. :woot:

13. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Gee, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Introducing...a sandbox, construction survival game about building ships!

Day 01 - Morloc - "Before we get too far off track, I'd like to request that lasers and force field shielding be added to the game".
    Day 02 - Patch 1.1 - "...will no longer drown on dry land. Ships will no longer be able to fly sometimes. Anchor's will no longer double as "doomsday cannons". Fishnets will..."
    Day 07 - Patch 1.3 - "Pistons will no longer punch holes through your hulls. Rotors will no longer saw through your decks."
    Day 51 - Patch 3.1 - "Minor performance tweaks."
    Day 55 - Patch 3.3 - "Rotors once again have 360 degrees in their movement arc. Portholes now have a scratched/worn texture."
    Day 60 - Patch 4.0 - "Introducing....pirates! Haar!"
    Day 61 - Patch 4.1 - "Pirates temporarily disabled"
    Day 77 - Patch 4.98 - "Derelict pirate vessels introduced"
    Day 88 - Patch 5.0 - "Gritty, realistic backdrop applied."
    Day 101 - Patch 5.2 - "Nuclear and electric engines introduced."
    Day 102 - Patch 5.3 - "Rotors and Pistons will no longer tear through nuclear reactors"
    Day 200 - Patch 5.4 - "Pirates have returned. Shiver me timbers!"
    Day 201 - Patch 5.41 - "Pirates temporarily disabled.
    Day 209 - Patch 5.5 - "Buried pirate treasure...a thing!"
    Day 333 - Patch 7.0 - PLANETS!
    Day 338 - Patch 7.2 - U.S.S. Zumwalt!.........wallpaper available.
    Day 341 - Patch 7.3 - "Minor performance tweaks."
    Day 341+ - (See Day 341).

-Morloc

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. Sarekh Senior Engineer

You forgot scratched portholes being constantly added and removed

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

17. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Long ago Marek called ME the next in a line of "engineering themed" games. I like the idea, I like the sentiment. Problem is that having an idea and sticking with it tends to be difficult. Space Engineers (I presume) was supposed to be a game about living and working in space 60 or so years from today. If you asked someone currently completely oblivious of SE to check it out on Twitch, they would see people building race cars on a planet. They would have to conclude that they call it Space Engineers because everyone is wearing space suits. Living and working in space in the near future seems to be the one thing players avoid at all costs, even though SE is by far the best game ever for playing at living and working in space.

When they teased ME i was thinking I would be able to build the stuff Leonardo DaVinci drew up. Instead I can build castles and grow crops.

Why not boats? Why not, indeed. Call the game Nautical Engineers (because Nautical Engineers build boats) and have it take place in the same time period as SE. Essentially, SE under water.

Aerospace Engineers would cover everything from the surface of a planet to the edge of space.

Why not just do it all in SE? Blocks. The "problem" with SE is that the original set of blocks were envisioned to be used in space. Using them on planets with gravity has proved... difficult. Building a "truck" using wheel suspensions that weigh twice what a truck alone would weigh seems kinda weird. The size and weight of most standard blocks means anything you build for use on a planet will be way too big and way too heavy. There would need to be an entirely new set of blocks, and maybe you don't want all those blocks in your SE game.

Nautical Engineering, especially the underwater stuff, is the polar opposite of space engineering. With all due respect to J. J. Abrams and his staff, putting the USS Enterprise under water would most likely spell the end of the USS Enterprise. NE would require it's own special set of blocks too numerous to add to SE.

It would be nice if the three games were compatible, as in you could bring your submarine blueprint to an SE session or you could pit your space fighter against a true aerospace fighter.

I think Marek has made it clear that they are still pushing the limits of VRAGE in both ME and SE. Any SE re-write would have more to do with HAVOK and whether or not there's some other physics engine that can be used, or maybe they're thinking of writing their own? This might be why they are specifically talking about an SE2 as opposed to something entirely new, and why they are insisting that they are supporting the current version now and pledge to continue support after release. Being vague about their next project, or even having a next project, is not only typical for video game developers but also good business sense. Seriously, after Marek's last blog I was expecting the announcement of Empryon II (now with WATER!). I think the most honest thing Keen did was to admit that weekly updates was too ambitious. Their current approach is sensible and realistic. Some veteran players may not appreciate why Marek is evasive, but with 7800+ hrs playing the game, this veteran player supports Keen Software House.

I guess because I'm old I can appreciate that it takes a long time to get something right, and the finished product won't appeal to everyone ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

The only drawback with them taking years is that by the time it goes gold (Released as new game) the programming and systems /engines used are antiquated. I am all for them as well, just thinking about if they do start another project that one will take years and still will end up being "behind the times" of other games that are released.

Not sure if that made sense or not. :)

20. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

You've got nothing on me, ya young whippersnapper!

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.