Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

massive stuttering and freezing makes SE almost unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Eddy2909, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Eddy2909 Trainee Engineer

Hi Guys..

no matter which graphic settuings I'm using, SE is stuttering/freezes (about every 10-20 seconds for about 5seconds).
    Drivers are up to date.
    My Specs:
    GeForce GTX 660
    AMD FX-8320 (8Core)
    8GB DDR3 RAM

Someone any ideas?

thanks!

2. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

need more info, what version of the game are you playing, is it single player, Multiplayer loaded game in which you are the host or connected player, or a Dedicated Server :D

what graphics setting, like high medium etc, which game start type? number of planets in the game, are pirates on the planets/space or both are cargo ships enabled?

3. Eddy2909 Trainee Engineer

Singleplayer with the latest Version(s). (no overclocking)
    The problem constists since about december :(

4. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

i would suggest lowering graphics settings, the new blocks and textures are a bit taxing on older hardware...
    maybe turning off Cargo ship and random encounters if enabled...

5. Silentfighter89 Trainee Engineer

Hei, I have a similar problem with freezes. But I have to first invest time and do some root cause analysis. For sometime it was for me at least like all 20 seconds you get a microfreeze ( <1sec ) now it is all 3 to 5 mins you get a 5-15sec freeze. Lastly played on an empty Planet world (no prebuild structures on plantes) in creative with drone's and creatures disabled. No Block damage on. No Voxel destruction on.

But as I said, first I have to investigate, when and how it happens and how the CPU gets stressed (I7-5930K, 6-core, 3,5Ghz ) and, or if it is GPU ram overflow. (GTX970 has this 3gb + 1 slow gb thing going on with it's ram.)

Hope I find time during this weekend to have a look into it. And yes it happens for me scine months now, but I don't play regularly, so I can not give a clear answer if it was better inbetween certain builds.:(

6. trav0370 Trainee Engineer

+1 to this.
    MP on dedicated server, running mostly high settings, 3 planets, random encounters. I will be standing still doing absolutely nothing when this happens. every few minutes a 5-15 second freeze solid. cant even minimize the game.

Computer settings are not relivant I dont think, as I'm running SLI GTX 980's with an I7, 16gb ram.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  7. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

9800 GTX? they are DX10 cards..... a typo? :D

8. trav0370 Trainee Engineer

Edited. Yea, typo. Im old...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

could be a crap server, just that 1 or others?

10. trav0370 Trainee Engineer

Nah, Ive noticed it a bit too when playing SP to set up Blueprints for MP use. it seems to be a local thing, since it locks up the whole computer when it happens. (cant even ctrl alt delete or minimise). but, its only in this game.

11. Eddy2909 Trainee Engineer

its not the normal way of freezing - athomspheric sound is still running and my machine is "controlable" (SP@local - no server!)
    --- Automerge ---
    settings are the lowest possible - and the problem exists longer than the block-design update..
    --- Automerge ---
    hooold on - did not try one thing: the resolution ???

12. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

i think im playing 1600x900, usually runs fine for me, except on bad servers

except when the update kills things, but then gets fixed afterwards.... eventually :D

13. JTConsortium Apprentice Engineer

Agree completely. Same exact things happening for me. Everything freezes but sounds and controls still appear to be functional in the background.

I'm having ships explode after resuming from a freeze and all sorts of other mayhem. This game used to run buttery smooth on my system but no more. All settings are set to lowest and it is still freezy, laggy and unplayable.

If this is going to be the "normal" state of the game from here on out then I will not be a happy camper. I certainly cannot afford to dump a grand on new hardware just to play this game. My system is not new but it's no slouch and all my other apps and games sail right along without problems on it.

14. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

yeah ive been getting in to testing the old compatibility version of SE, version 01.127, known as the 'DX9-32bit' that still runs DX11 and 64bit modes, which was just after they fixed the 3month long planet mining crash bug and just before they introduced the game killing Client Side Predictions that i think are still messing things up even now

15. Distman Trainee Engineer

16. max1998t1 Trainee Engineer

That SE freezes just the screen while physics keep running is a bug that has existed since the beginning of the game(at least since i started playing).

17. Eddy2909 Trainee Engineer

I've often seen AMD 8Core under almost every post concerning this problem.. >> AMD 8core Bug?
    --- Automerge ---
    http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/se-freezing-please-comment.7392827/
    --- Automerge ---
    just tried some other resolution to 1600xsomething ... its running a little smoother but honestly: who wants to play SE with this resolution???

18. Distman Trainee Engineer

Nope, seems to affect Intel users as well.

19. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

Sound is crackling together with stuttering and freezing connected via SPDIF

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.