Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Max number of planets?

Discussion in 'General' started by SilentShadow, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

About how many planets can you add in SP (no server) before performance takes a major hit?

I'm playing the star system and plan to add 2 planets & 3 moons in the future.

2. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Give it a try i would say. Far distant planets shouldnt give too much of a performance loss.
    I even had three planets in a constellation where each surface was merely 2 km apart from each other and it ran good.

So i am fairly sure that if you run ~20 planets, it will still run with acceptable performance.

But i guess least people actually tried that yet.

Additionally, i believe that the biggest issue might be the lack of content and that there simply arent so many planets to play with if you stay vanilla. Thus you quickly had to use modded planets there.

3. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I'm thinking mod planets. Specifically Vani to eventual try the challenge of a 3.5g planet,

4. jb_aero Trainee Engineer

I play with some from every planet modder, with a bunch from Doctor Octagonapus. Off the top of my head I counted 25 total. The biggest hit with planets is they often (especially DO's) include many and/or HQ textures, so each one you add increases your load time. I'd say I have an average/below average PC, and up until recently my sim speed has stayed at or close to 1, so I'm inclined to think the planets are not to blame.

5. Spets Master Engineer

if you see smoke coming out of your computar, you will know

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. TehGM Apprentice Engineer

I imagine that planets don't make your performance way worse. Planet that there's no building on is mostly inactive, and rendered in a VERY low quality when at distance (or not rendered at all).
    However, it sure will hit your loading times hard. Even 3 planets make everything load longer.
    Just add many planets and never turn your game off!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I'm okay with the current lead time for star system. I can live with it doubling. Come on, we are simulating a piece of space.

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The number of planets are only limited by your amount of computer memory and the point where your CPU starts begging you to put it out of its misery.

I would create a test world and start adding planets to figure out where the tipping point is on your PC. You will reach a point where your computer will crash when it runs out of memory. I think that is the maximum theoretical limit. But before then, you'll probably reach a point where your sim speed is absolutely tanking.

Please note, that every time you change a planet, the amount of data in memory regarding that planet increases. So while a virgin world might run well, it'll start grinding after a bit of mining.

You can get around this by resetting your world, by deleting your planet in the save directory and copying over the virgin planet from another save. However, any changes made will disappear. Any grids that lie below the surface of the planet will be swallowed up and may even become detached and fall to their doom towards the center of the planet. As they are falling your server/game will lag like hell until they disappear.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.