Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

ME vs SE

Discussion in 'General' started by Ljorius, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ljorius Trainee Engineer

is it thinkable that a SE instance and ME instance, when running together on a server can cause issues? like crashing the ME server because of resources for example?

i have one SE and one ME server running on machine. Since the latest ME and SE patch i observe that the ME server not only appears to have a memory leak, it also crashes on a regulary basis, when the SE server is running.

2. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I run both instances, 0.6 and 1.189 on my machine. The SE instance usually hovers around 3GB ram and the ME instance around 1.5GB ram. They've not crashed on me but I don't get more than two clients connecting to either one and one of those clients plays right on the server. I can't remember a time in 2 years that any of the three crashed. Neither client experiences any lag. I restart the server/cold start it once a week and hibernate it other times.
    --- Automerge ---
    About two years ago, I was running three instances: two 0.5 ME instances (2GB ram and 1.5GB ram) and an SE instance (2.5GB ram) on this same machine. The SE instance is the same instance I've always ran. Didn't experience crashes then either; same client connectivity behavior - no more than two and one of them ran on the server.

Size of ram usage appears to be dependent on how much the players have created in-game and size of the voxel file. Probably affected by client connectivity state as well.

This running the client on the server is never a recommended practice but I never had problems that I can think of.

3. Ljorius Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

this is beyond normal

4. boromir Apprentice Engineer

That's huge! How large is the save directory for your instance?

5. Ljorius Trainee Engineer

the current sandbox.sbc is about 10MB, if that is what you mean.

6. boromir Apprentice Engineer

If that's the largest file in your save directory. I would open a support ticket. Don't make it a defect, just a private support ticket - see if they can explain it to you what seems to be going on. 10MB shouldn't sky rocket like that in the game instance. Is this (20GB) the size of the dedicated server instance when you boot the machine? The instance will fire up automatically then settle down at a level of used memory. The settled size would be very interesting to them. If it gets large after someone joins and plays a while it's probably something going on in the world. Different matter altogether.
    --- Automerge ---
    That looks like Windows 10. Is that right? Earlier versions were not as stable as Windows 10. If it's not an authentic Windows 10 that might be the problem right there. I've seen that happen before.

7. Ljorius Trainee Engineer

It is an authentic Windows 10. Theserver sometimes manages it to clean up memory, but despite that, the game starts behaving a weird way, after this. Players reported, that block were not shown, block could not be finished nor removed etc. The reports cover all the old problems, we faced in the past in earlier versions. as soon as those issues occur, the machine needs to be restarted. normally this is not a problem, but when the issues occur, right after 10 minutes a reboot was performed, it becomes a problem. it is currently impossible to say, when the server starts collecting memory without reason, at least for me. sometimes it starts after hours, another time after minutes. this is annoying. the system itself is kept up to date.

8. boromir Apprentice Engineer

If you're using an old world it could cause some strange behaviour with block building and removal. Sometimes their changes fail to fully upgrade old save games. They recommend restarting fresh after each major update. Even bringing old blueprints forward might not be compatible with future versions.

They've fixed a number of memory leaks but mods could be the cause of this too. Good to see the machine is able to allocate more than 16GB so that old barrier is gone. If none of these suggestions help certainly open a trouble ticket. They're fairly prompt on that. Not sure they can fix it but certainly have better recommendations than I have.

9. Ljorius Trainee Engineer

we always started a new world, we played over weeks without mods.
    i am not making any constructed complaints.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.