1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 11

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Drui

Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! The 11th episode in our series of behind-the-scenes developer diaries has been released! This week Čestmir will tell you more about the new contextual GUI menus in Medieval Engineers.
    The contextual GUI menus are designed to have a simpler interface that focuses on the context you are interacting with. They only show information that is relevant to what you are doing at the time, and will disable actions you are not able to do. For example, if you are accessing a gate menu, you will only see options for gates. If you are accessing a respawn menu, you will only see options for respawning.
    The menus use icons that are consistent throughout the game to make the options easier to recognize and learn. They are also streamlined and small so that they fit in the center of your screen. This allows you to see the world around you while you are accessing the menus.
    Finally, please enjoy the conclusion of our short story. We hope you enjoyed watching the videos as much as we enjoyed making them.

Modding Possibilities
    Modders can completely re-skin many parts of the menus:
    • backgrounds
    • colors
    • icons
    • texts
    • tooltips

• Like Like x 6
  2. Hanfree

Hanfree Apprentice Engineer

• Inappropriate Behavior
    We are making a good dev tools to modders

Modding Possibilities

Modders can make the game for us
    • All the comunity suggestions
    • New textures
    • New Weapons
    • New and improved animations
    • New enemys
    • Old good inventory system
    • and long etc...
    And regular players can wait for modders to complete the game

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Scorpion00021

Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Nice video! Looking good, still trying to decipher the function of those other buttons on the UI demo :p

As opposed to EA, who sells you half of a game for twice the cost of a game, makes it very difficult for modders to make any content so they can sell it to you in dozens of micro expansion packs that each cost half of the retail of the original game? Keen creates features and leaves open handles to append your own content so you can play the game differently if you desire.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frostik

Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Keys :woot:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OmEgA_StOrM

OmEgA_StOrM Apprentice Engineer

I don't think players are supposed to wait for modders to complement the game. They should be waiting for the Devs to complete it, and it would be nice to see maybe a planned deadline for the next feature witch the game desperately needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RayvenQ

RayvenQ Moderator

It's not a good idea to try and flamebait people, especially when you have a history of doing so.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Hanfree

Hanfree Apprentice Engineer

I dont go sorry and dont try to scare me like the mafia for say a bad critic about the way they go making this tittle i respect you as user and moderator but that is not the way
    When the good critics come all is "wow awesome greate" but when one poeple say a bad critic about the game is all reports and disagree
    The bad critic are not to flame troll etc, is to make the developers can see not all the users like the way of this tittle goes and give a clue of something they can see and time to rectificate
    First observation they can got is "how many users are comment or view this developer diaries?"
    See when i joined? you think im not support this game and the space engineers game? for the love of good i love this games but i see where this goes and i dont want this for this 2 games.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. SaturaxCZ

SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

RED are low priority tasks for game development. ( of course i like see new models, texture too, but... ) Its not big problem creat one new animation, model or texture, it just eat time you need use on diferent place. You can see developer diaries where is time used. Do you think they wasting time ?

For normal players: Its true they didnt see big update for a while... but it will come ;) ( from Q&A and developer diaries you get good idea, what will they add in game and they will do next half year )

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  9. Deepflame

Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

They are faction and player sharing settings, probably. You can specify on your doors/gates/drawbridges who has access rights to open/close it. You can specify to share it with your faction, with people inside a key-group, or with individuals on an individual door. You can also set everything to be locked to create private chambers.

This will allow you to, for example, create a public courtyard, in which anyone can enter, and then a faction hall, only accessible for faction members, and finally private chambers, where only you have access. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. EngineeringMann

EngineeringMann Trainee Engineer

That battle scene sure looks chaotic. From watching that scene it is difficult to tell how smooth and interesting the combat is. In that scene, it looks more like an exercise in left clicking and running around aimlessly.

How do you guys feel about it?

11. Scorpion00021

Yeah, I agree that the pvp combat looks very clunky. Maybe implementation of kinda like a "momentum" system where players dont change direction on a dime. A lot of first person shooters do something like this. Also, the battle system would look nicer with some armor and weapon diversity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frostik

Frostik Apprentice Engineer

An improved fighting system would be nice. It doesn´t have to be like Kingdom Come or For Honor, but right now it looks really strange and outdated.

13. Timotei~

Timotei~ Apprentice Engineer

Those keys are a clever and interesting idea. However, I'm still of those who believe pre-made contraptions shouldn’t have been added to the game in the first place (Since that literally killed my desire to play this game). I'd rather use a lock block or some kind of lock-able catch block using the same key system. Players could use these to lock their siege engines so the enemy couldn’t steal them easily.

I still hope you are considering giving more love to player-made contraptions. So I'm asking:
    @Deepflame Q1. Will we see more love given to player-made contraptions? If yes, can you leak some details about it?

Also, I got some questions about the keys themselves.
    Q2. Will these key be items you can find in your inventory?
    if yes,
    Q3. Will it be possible to kill a player and steal their keys to infiltrate their base?
    if yes,
    Q4. Will it be possible to hide your key in a chest so nobody can steal it from your body.

Thanks in advance and keep up your good work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  14. Cetric

Cetric Junior Engineer

Oh, those complications...
    The next guy will ask if it will be possible to lose the key while running over the meadows, so someone else may find it and sneak into the castle, *because it is so crucial for that certain feeling of realism* :p

15. Deepflame

Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

A1: For the release of the planets update we haven't added any new small grid blocks, we have done a few stabilizations and tweaks for the small grids leaving them a little more stable in MP, but we primarily focused on getting the planets working. Our next major update will focus on bringing more of the building and engineering things into the game. One thing I will reveal now is that we will, finally, be working on the long, long promised mechanical blocks, but they will not make it in the release of the planets.

In defense of the pre-made portcullis, drawbridge and gate, it allows you to make a relatively small door that works well regardless of sim speed and player skill at engineering. Not everyone is a small grid contraption mastermind, and they too want nice looking castles. The gates are only two blocks wide and tall, if you build a big cart it probably wont be able to go through. You will still have to engineer your own larger sized doors and drawbridges, and you can still do it for the smaller ones too. But with these simplified doors it allows people who aren't as talented at building difficult constructs like you to also build a nice looking castle with basic access mechanics.

A2: No, keys are not a physical entity for now.
    A3: Nope.
    A4: Nope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Scorpion00021

I'm happy with it this way. The idea of losing a key somewhere and having to change the locks on EVERYTHING you own, plus needing to redistribute the new keys to friendly players just isnt my idea of fun. You wanna invade a castle, you need to bring a rock tosser.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SaturaxCZ

SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Well... you can not evade spy in your ranks ;) Before it was possible catch and kill thief, but find spy is harder. ( until you dont play only with your frends ;) )

18. Timotei~

Timotei~ Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for these precisions. your presence in this forum is truly appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gwindalmir

Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Allow modders to attach custom code to those UI controls, and this is the best thing in ME ever.
    Stargate will be so easy and intuitive to use!

20. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

One gripe I have about the SE GUI is it can get cluttered quite fast, so its good you can close it. I like the approach taken to the GUI in ME.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.