Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 15

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Here's the problem with fast travel, in every game I've ever played with some form of it in...it shrinks the world. Why have an entire planet if it's trivial to traverse?

I understand that this is a case of breaking "realism" for the sake of gameplay. I'm not saying fast travel is a bad thing. But it seems like it does kind of negate "remoteness" as a defensive strategy.

I'm one of those people who played skyrim without using fast travel because I wanted traveling from one city to the next to be formidable and worthy of consideration. And yes..it was often also tedious. shrug.

I'm glad that fast travel can be turned off...I just want to be assured that the game is not designed around the idea that most people will use it.

Personally, I like the how skyrim did horse cart travel between cities. It was from specific points to other specific points (not to anywhere) and it cost and could be done before you've visited the area. Medieval Greyhound, basically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I think it's a good idea for the game.

I mean people don't really understand how BIG we're talking here.

10Km Diameter planet is 314 square KMs. That's almost 10 Skyrims.

And planets get bigger from there. 10km Radius? 1256 square kms, or 42 Skyrims.

That's a long F-ing distance to ride a horse, and at the end of the day while it's novel to be able to walk that distance in the game... it's going to cause a huge lag in gameplay. It's the antithesis of pacing. Unless walls take 2 years to tear down, you can't adequately balance building health with reasonable response time to Sieges for players.

The HUGE thing, is that you can't just warp through mountains. Problem solved for the most part there. I'll be building most of my forts up in the spine of the world now, for that reason alone.

3. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I'm agreeing with the idea of fast travel on a large medieval world, I just wish there was more of a limit on it (like only being able to fast travel to your own claims) to keep the sense of epic journey alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Epic scale, and the real constraints of travel are all part of the medieval experience I think, but @Ash87 makes a good point I think about how we're already circumventing some of the epic nature of medieval times by making castles that are buildable in a day, and destroyable in an hour.

As with any game, I'll accept whatever gameplay concessions they want to make...As long as the gameplay is awesome!

Along those lines, I'm mainly concerned with solo and co-op play. My kids and me against barbarians!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Benjamin Trainee Engineer

I'd love to see fog of war implemented on the map. It would make exploration a real thing and would also help combat. Please don't forget this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Q: How will the spawn system work? Is it random? Or will everybody spawned in the same Kingdom which is selected in the beginning?

Fog of war would be really cool. But remember that the map is used to find players. If you had to explore the whole planet it would take too much time. Maybe we could also craft map parts and trade map information with other players.

How do I turn automerge off? :(

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I like this idea. Can you please rephrase in the form of a question so @Deepflame week have to respond next week? :)

8. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Hey Also: Can we get a release Date for the planets and the map, and... the other 4 trillion things KSH has been working on? At video 10, the devs were past the 50% mark on their list of work, has the same rate of work continued and we're at like... under 5 weeks now until it's all out?

9. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I doubt they will give a release date unless its like a week away. Once they feel all of the features are in place, tested, and optimized to a suitable level for the current state of the game, they will release it. Actually, there is supposed to be a live stream tonight on Keen's Twitch channel of Medieval Engineers, so they might give a date then :)

10. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

if you could... would you make a transcript of it? i wont have time, anytime soon, to watch the stream D:

11. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I'm hoping they have a recording of it saved on Twitch. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work through most of the stream. If I get time to watch, I'll definitely share notes :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked about that either. Still, never know until you ask.

Well, suppose we're all at work then. Crap.

13. Ash87 Senior Engineer

For the uninitiated this got answered during the stream (In a roundabout way, but still)

NPC villages are a maybe. So, we have no firm answer, but we know it's on the consideration docket.

14. Lord Vulpes Trainee Engineer

Planets Livestream - Feature Reveal with Q&A on Twitch ----> but what time?

15. Ash87 Senior Engineer

16. Lord Vulpes Trainee Engineer

Thanks Ash ^^

17. Uncle Gus Trainee Engineer

How exactly are the square grids mapped to the spherical surface.

18. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

you can see that on the planet map....

19. protokore Trainee Engineer

hi,also,this is the six world machine's square maps needed for build a spherik world with photoshop
    --- Automerge ---
    this is the six world machine's square maps needed for generate a spheric world with photoshop

20. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

Fast Travel, just a Jump Drive in ME. A reasonable answer but I guess people would still want Horses.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.