Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval times: Late 14th century

Discussion in 'General' started by Mirek, May 31, 2018.

1. Mirek Apprentice Engineer

In this thread i plan to Share the best informations we have today about how things and people looked in Late 14th century.

So first some Introduction: This is me: IAm a reanactor trying to recreate a best interpretation of a well established Medieval Proffesional footsoldier of period between 1382-1424 in Czech kingdom.
    [​IMG]
    Civilian clothes and a main weapon:
    [​IMG]
    Another foto in civilian clothes:
    [​IMG]
    And a full Armor ("Sudličník" best english translation would be halberdier althouht in my language halberdier would be a bit different soldier from different century):
    [​IMG]
    As a well established proffesional i could also have a steel thigh and knee armor, and i own one set but it is not too comfortable so i usually dont use it.
    Here is a picture where i wear it:
    [​IMG]
    It is ok on a horseback but walking in it longer distances is a pain in the ass.

I will continue later with pictures of different pieces of clothing weaponry and equipment.
    --- Automerge ---
    Clothing I will not know all the english translations so i will sometimes use a czech names:

Nohavice (pants?) and Bruchy (like medieval underware):
    [​IMG]
    Suknice spodní (Undershirt?):
    [​IMG]

To be continued:
    --- Automerge ---
    Warm Woolen Shirt Cape (rolled down) and a cap (sorry for bad quality):
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shoes: Ignore the left pair (the pointy shoes) it is a older image and i found out that theese are not historically acurate) The right pair is better but still adapted to modern standarts of comfort and safety, so also not perfectly accurate but acceptable:
    [​IMG]
    Much better shoes:
    [​IMG]
    Light Cap For hot weather or under Woolen cap or straw hat:
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Woolen Cap:
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Personal Equipment:
    Belt Pouches Knife and money:
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Note that i have a wrong belt buckler an iam missing a belt end (i have bought them but been lazy so far to repair the belt. Here in bottom right side of the picture is how should they look:
    [​IMG]
    picture also shows Some money, decorations that go on your hat, 3 decorative pins and 2 spoons.
    --- Automerge ---
    You also need something to start a fire. usually a piece of metal and piece of stone and something really dry and easy to catch fire. I dont have any pictures so here is wiki: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Křesadlo
    --- Automerge ---
    Weapons:
    Anyone who wanted to grow old one day would carry at least a long knife in 14th century. Unlike popular belief, Swords werent much common, only rich people owned them, and they carried them mostly as a "badge of status" sidearm (in battle) and a selfdefence weapon, as swords, especially longswords arent much usefull in battle (confirmed with my own experience) unles they are paired with shield. Much more comon were Axes, Falchions, long knifes and "Machetes"(best translation of "tesák" i found) wich served as both weapons and tools.
    Simple tesák (machette? iam still not sure with the translation):
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Every soldier worth that name has at least two weapons, in modern times it is a Rifle (main) and a pistol (sidearm).

In medieval times main weapon would be something wich either gives a range advantage, like crosbow, or long polearm like Spear, halberd, scythe, etc.
    Or weapon wich can deal a heawy blow, like AXE, hammer or CLUB.
    Attention: medieval battleaxe never had two blades! NEVER!
    It could have a spike or a hook on the oposite side from the blade, but never a second blade!

14th Century´s
    grandfather of an halbert would look simillar to this:
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Axe could be your everyday tool or you could use more "tactical" version like this:
    [​IMG]
    Wich would be paired with shield. YOu can see some shields here:
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Warious versions of clubs hammers and maces would be used but i dont own any and dont have pics.
    --- Automerge ---
    Hopefully i will be able to add more content to this thread in the future, and hopefully more threads like this will appear from people recreating other medieval periods.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Yurets Trainee Engineer

I'm quite far from any of that, and I have one misunderstanding. I heard, that claymore sword (scottish two-handled sword) was rather common in battles (at least in Scotland :D ). And also, probably, two-handled swords were used as main weapons. Which kind of contradicts:

There is the same word in Russian, and sometimes this weapons is just called "oversized combat knife" :). But according to Wikipedia - it is called "Hunting Sword" (in English and German). Machete, however, is still just a knife, but with a wide edge and it is mostly used only in Latin America on farms.

3. Mirek Apprentice Engineer

I have no knowledge about scottish or english hystory, so i cant give any more info on this, but According to wikipedia wich is not very good source but lets believe it this time it is used from 15th to 17th century wich is not much medieval, as 15th century is the very end of medieval period. In central europe two handed swords As battleweapons are mostly known from first half of the16th century according to my current knowledge. I found some mentions of longsword usage in battle for 14th century, but since theese are scarce i would guess it wasnt common practice.
    I tried using longsword in a battle, and it was a total failure. Nowdays i either go with Axe and shield or with a halberd.
    We usually go as a formation where first line is composed of fighters with shields and behind them are fightes with polearms. No chance fighting with longsword against this.
    Mybe on horseback longer reach of the sword could be beneficial, but i never fought from a horseback, so i cant really say.

4. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

I like your gambeson, most people don't know that is what the common man wore into battle, not shiny armor or even chain-mail, that stuff was expensive. Did you create it and have you done any fighting in it? How was it made? Have you ever been hit by a full force swing wearing it? I looks like it would soften any blow. Sorry for all the questions but one seldom sees these at 'Ren-Fairs' or at SCA events here in the US, its very cool to see, the group picture looks legit, do you guys do battles?

5. Mirek Apprentice Engineer

That gambeson Is 4 layers of Linen cloth stuffed with anything tthat was found in the workshop. pieces of cloth, old socks, etc. :)
    It was created by my friends wife who is wery skilled craftswoman.
    Full blow with a falchion hurts like hell and puts you out of fight for few minutes, Full blow with an axe would probably kill you i didnt test it and iam not going to hopefully, althought with the young fighters i often meet in battle nowadays who knows. Those guys dont care about any safety regulations. Sword blows you dont even register wich makes swordwielders really angry.
    Yes we do battles.
    We have about 4 kinds.
    1.st Small performations. (5-15 minutes)
    Usually on castles, usually performed by people who have no clue but they have a big sword and full plate armor (usually completely nonsensical fantasy armor without helmet). Performers are usually paid. Fencing is just simulated, because they dont want any scratches on theyr shyny armour.
    2nd. Public Battle (about a hour.)
    Usually big, can be from 20 to up to 2000 fighters on the field.
    Can be done by fighters who actually care about hystory, so you can see formations, and more variety of weapons, but there will still be lot of "performers" so swords are still common. Often there can be fighters from severall historical periods on one field at the same time. Fights can be just simulated, "half force", or with full force and )unintentionaly real blood, depending who you fight with.
    3.rd Reanactment combat game or roleplaying game. (op to 3 days).
    Only people who take it seriously are allowed, only about every 10th weapon is a sword. Fights are strictly "full speed - half force" No audience. Lot of roleplaying in both batle and the camp, so formations, maneuvers, tactics and strategy, politics, and betrayall
    4th. HMB (my favorite) (round is about 5minutes, and there are 2-3 rounds each fight)
    Its a combat sport where people compete and everione wants to win, so full armour, full speed, full force. Swords are endangerd species in this enviroment, as they lack the required ompf.

They Red/blue guy with plain brown shield and an axe is me. :)
    --- Automerge ---
    But now iam steering offtopic in my own thread.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mirek Apprentice Engineer

So Back TO topic.
    If you go to the battle you need to protect yourself.
    So you would definitelly need a helmet: (i definitelly need a new one :-/

[​IMG]
    And off course something that softens the blow to the head:
    [​IMG]
    then you need to protect the torso:
    [​IMG]
    the legs:
    [​IMG]
    And your hands:
    [​IMG]
    theese are not finnished yet:
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    then you would probably like to have a shield:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    The shield is wooden corpus covered with several layers of linen cloth and the edges are reinforced with dry raw cow skin.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1