Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

meh... autopilot not working

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Monkworks, Apr 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Monkworks Trainee Engineer

autopilot sometimes works but mostly not.

I had it working but it just doesn't work now.

(small ship) Ownership is correct. Nothing blocking the RC block. Its centre front of the RV. GPS location is adde, yet autopilot stay's gray. Its getting enough power and has an antenna. The antenna is set to broadcast.

Is there some known issue?
    --- Automerge ---
    actually i think i see whats going on here. If i remote to the RV and try to auto-pilot it wont work. but if i select the RV from the Station ( do not remote to the RV) select the RV RC block and click auto-pilot it WORKS!

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Vanilla Auto Pilot has major issues, it has been known for a while. That is why most people use scripts to handle any automated flying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Or they're like me and never use it! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Spaceman Spiff you haven't lived until you let the vanilla autopilot crash you into the side of a mountain or try to ram you through an asteroid!! :D

*While collision detection is on I may add!! LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Do you remember the movie I, Robot? Will Smith's character never trusted autopilot, and for a very good reason!

6. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

....but he missed a left while the beautyful doctor was at his side!

"The goddamn robots, John!" :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Beautiful, but clueless with people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sarekh Senior Engineer

What? Remote controls can be used for something else than advanced, scripted weapon systems? Get outta here!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Auto pilot, like wheel suspensions, require some research in order to get maximum use without resorting to scripts. You have to play to their strengths and compensate for their weaknesses. The auto pilot does a pretty good job most of the time, but they need supervision. Scripts usually bring sensors into the mix, ant that's why they seem to work better. Also, scripts let you manipulate behavior around waypoints more precisely. I think all the vanilla auto pilot really needs is a way to not have to stop at a waypoint or skip a waypoint under certain conditions.

I guess they're still a bit squirrely in MP.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Monkworks Trainee Engineer

there is a learning curve here in terms of auto pilots use. I needed to have a good arry of GPS loc's
    example a rally point for your base for standard RV's that safely directs them to the next waypoint that is clear of anything in the way. then a docking waypoint that directs the ship closer to the dock for example. but just point out into space and not planning that route is asking to lose a ship. especially in survival.

in practice its a kind-of automation.. half manual...

but this issue is specific to a situation where i plot a few waypoint for the auto pilot then "f" and change to another RV go to the RC block and auto pilot is gray now.. log out and back in an hey it's now active...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.