Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Merging base to lander... I don't get it :/

Discussion in 'General' started by Joe Chisholm, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Joe Chisholm Trainee Engineer

OK, so I've read in many places that you can save your lander from deletion by "using merge blocks" but can't find any details on how this is acheived. As far as I can tell merge blocks work like docking ports?... so how do I dock the lander which doesn't move to the base which doesn't move?

I feel I must be missing something basic here.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Roxette Senior Engineer

On most servers with default settings, the spawnship (lander or space variety) will be deleted when you log off. To prevent this happening, place a block attached to a voxel material (planet or asteroid) and then build a merge block attached to this, and a second merge block attached to your ship. Then move (fly) the ship so that the two merge blocks connect, converting your ship into part of the 'station' formed by the blocks attached to voxel material. You can then disconnect it or grind down the merge blocks and the ship will not be deleted when you disconnect.

3. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Welcome to the Forums!

Well... Merge Blocks work (or at least are supposed to) as a way to permanently link two structures into one. The community asked for a way to "glue" ship parts that were detached from a bigger ship and Merge Block was delivered.

People also use Merge Blocks to make "modular ships", although this doesn't work very well since Merging ships messes with the ship pivot and the game becomes more prone to crashes when using Merge + Landing Gear docking solutions.

Other than that, @Roxette summed up what you're supposed to do. It's either that or grind the whole ship.

4. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Or, of course, there is a game setting where you can disable spawn ship removal upon logout.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The game is set to delete spawn ships on log out or if you spawn in a new ship. The game identifies the spawn ship as a mobile grid. When you merge the ship to a static grid (one attached to voxels) it becomes an entirely NEW grid that's static and the game doesn't recognize that grid as a spawn ship. So the game engine won't delete the grid when logging off or respawning. From there you can use the ship as a static base or unmerge the ship and use it normally without the fear of it getting deleted.

6. Joe Chisholm Trainee Engineer

Hi all, thanks. But you're just repeating the part I already know. The bit I don't understand is how the heck you move the lander to dock with the station, I've never once got a lander to budge an inch after it's initial landing.

Landing gear unlocked - check
    Power - check
    Fuel - check
    All systems on - check

Movement - Nil

7. Levits Senior Engineer

Is the device plugged in?
    You are using the default lander with atmospheric thrusters right?

Ok:
    1: Check to make sure ALL landing gear are unlocked.
    2: Check to make sure that your thrusters are actually outputting. (did you park your ship on top of the highest mountain? Remember that you have atmospheric thrusters on it, it needs air to work).
    3: Check to make sure you have enough power to get if off the ground. (you should with a single battery, but make sure you don't have your reactors/batteries OFF).
    4: Check to make sure that you have not filled the inventory to the brim (x10 inventories can easily cause your ship to become overweight).
    5: Make sure landing gear is unlocked and try to twist the ship a little with the gyros to break it loose (<sometimes that's needed).
    6: If you've tried all of this, then send in a bug report. (Because without landing gear locked, enough power, light enough weight, and enough engine power, you should be able to get off the ground).

8. Roxette Senior Engineer

Yes... ships in the game do sometimes behave as stupidly as computers, so standard practice applies :

[​IMG]

If all else fails, in conjunction with bug report, supply the world save - i.e. (assuming normal default paths) the contents of C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves\<steam ID #>\<game world name>\*.* packed into a zip or something, uploaded to a file sharing site and include the link in the report

9. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I recently experienced this same thing when trying out a workshop ship. I think the ship starts off on the ground (was a whole world to check out, not just a blueprint). Thrusters did not respond to any input no matter what I did. Gyros did not respond to mouse movement. I couldn't tell if it was a ship or game bug.

10. bigsteve Trainee Engineer

After you have connected the Lander to the Voxelled Station, Get into the Lander Turn off the Merge block/s
    then press K go to the info tab and hit convert to ship.

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The landing gear on the launders are defaulted to autolock. When the gears are locked they turn green. Go to you landing gear and turn off the autolock. Then unlock the landing gear. Make sure you have your inertial dampeners on or you're probably going to come back down really quick.

12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

teh dreaded auto-locking landing gears!

see now i have a horrible feeling that sweet Joe Chisholm is going to unlock landing gears and then report the bug where the magically ship floats off.
    because the respawn ship is the one ship everyone tends to experience this issue with.

Firstly welcome to space engineers young Sith apprentice Joe Chisholm.

if you do experience that bug where your ship without reason floats upwards even if the ship is powered off....

what you MUST do

1.) Enable thruster dampining X or Z? [i use it so much i acutally don't know what key i used for it...]
    2.) level out your ship so the big thrusters face downwards to fight gravity.
    3.) make sure your ship is turned on Y

then to fix the ship floating away bug save and reload the game.
    those 3 steps above are to ensure your ship doesn't fall to the ground when you reload.

Space engineers has a steep learning curve....once you learn its rules it can be quite the fun game.

13. bigsteve Trainee Engineer

What i do is lock the landing gears to another grid, then release.

14. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I do believe it was you that had told me that before.
    but it hard to remember that awesome trick when you've done a long days work arrive home at 1:00 am
    boot up a game and SE and completely forgot that plus the respawn lander has auto locking landing gears. :p

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.