Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Mine shaft lift building in survival a problem?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lupinemaxx, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

OK guys, It's been six months in ME and over 1000 hours game later and time for me to start attempting some innovations. Naturally ideas come from others' work viewed on You Tube and such and I have managed some simple mechanical creations.

...but the devil be damned I can't get a simple mine shaft lift to not explode into a million pieces when I attempt to build one. I went as far as grabbing blueprints and doing a test world in creative to take a look at the designs. Seems every time I get something constructed, as soon as I touch the hand crank - the damned thing runs too fast too long as if there is absolutely no control over speed or stopping. My designs are as close to what I've seen working in creative but when I attempt to use them they produce a display of wooden dozens of shards.

I've seen many working examples dating back to 2015......but cannot locate a text step-by-step instructional to help create a working lift.

Any suggestions?

2. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

One thing I do is try to leave space between the elevator carriage and sides to keep things from accidentally colliding and keep it balanced. For a single large block shaft 8x8 or 7x7 small blocks depending on how much work you want to do to center it. (rope end on the axle of a catchblock is a good way to create an offset). Also I 'pulse' the input for my elevators, better slow and safe imo.

3. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

Thanks for responding. I've tried one, two and four drum configurations, all set on top of a frame based on large stone blocks @ 3x3. Is that not wide enough? Would a much larger area offer better balance? I've tried both slight and wide room at the edges to see if I was having a binding problem - didn't seem to matter. The blueprint I observed in creative had a 4 drum system set in a frame on top only. Do I need a pulley system that connects upper and lower drums as well as across? I tried using round timbers as vertical runners in all four corners. No problems that I can see with sticking to the square timbers.......but the rig never wants to drop or raise evenly - with or without the vertical runners and with both tight and generous room given for the runners not to stick. Do I not have enough weight in the carriage? Should I attach a heavier amount of timbers to the carriage? I've tried a simple 2D flat carriage and a timber cube carriage but that doesn't seem to matter either.

As far as usage to the catch block/hand crank most the the time I get to witness eventual disintegration of the rig because long after I've released the 'Use' key (I bound that to R-Ctrl - I'm a lefty) from the crank, the drum is still turning like mad and won't stop until I get shards of timber. I tried locking catch blocks but engaging them doesn't seem to do anything, at all. As I've repeatedly failed and had to gather up the broken parts I wonder if maybe I'm not using the drums/catch blocks/ropes correctly or not. It's bothersome to me because it should be common sense but somewhere......something is off, I'm not using the parts correctly or I'm repeating some mistake over and over.

I guess what I'm asking mostly for is a lead on where to start looking for solid printed info on how lift construction is all brought to function. That I haven't found such info myself is partly, actually mostly my fault - I'm too damned eager to dive in and 'get my hands dirty' so to speak over spending that time googling info. I can also appreciate those trying to help someone like me asking for help like this - several friends routinely call me and ask for computer hardware help and my answer is always the same - I can't diag a PC over the phone or in chat. I know what I'm doing but don't know the terminology well enough - I just know what goes where. If I could find detailed info in print - I know I'd manage better here.

I have to admit I may have had the answer long before I posted this - after more than several failures I began to wonder I maybe I bit off more than I can chew and have no choice but to burn time building and testing simple little toys just to get a feel for how the parts will and won't work together.......but I can be a lazy bastard that way try to reach top shelf from the start. I guess I was hoping for a fluke success long shot.

Thanks again.

4. Köbi 2 Apprentice Engineer

I had a fairly nice lift going once. Things I learned:

-Use only one rope. The simpler the better. As centered as possible. Drum on the lift. (You still will skip when going down, and sometimes die. I had a bed on my lift.)
    -I had a 3x3 big block shaft setup. That worked best for me. All corners full walls and the centerblock the doors. (In all 4 directions.) The corner walls are needed as guides for the wheels.
    -Stopper timbers on the top and the bottom of the shaft are a must. The elvator has to be built on the lowest point so the rope will have the max length.
    -I had lockable catchblocks and lockable ropedrums, but I think they are not really needed. Also be careful with the lockable catchblock: Not all versions work! (They are bugged for years.)

-Wheels: 2 on every side. As far out as possible. So you have two in every corner.
    -Now the trick: It needs to be doubled up! I had a 2 story lift cage. 8 wheels right under the main carriage, and the second 8 wheels on the top of the second floor. This is the only way I found to reliable preventing jamming.

I hope that helps. I was able to stop at every level (The shaft was 20-30 blocks deep) Going up was no problem at all. When going down the character tended to skip and die... I tried to load the shovel stable version to take some pics, but It wont load anymore... It took quite some time to build, but in the end was an absolute stable and reliable lift.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

Awesome. Thanks!

The only thing I can say that I had the same in mind for my rig was the upper and lower stoppers. every time I constructed, at the top of the frame, I would mark the height of the stopper I wanted on another side of the frame posts (I used plank posts above the stone foundation). The wheels would certainly prevent 'wobble' I assume and I hadn't thought of that. Nice one. I considered a drum(s) in the carriage itself many times......but having watched several videos seeing drums preform from the top of a frame was just fine it was far too tempting and seemed far more realistic to switch. Gonna have to adapt in this case and set a drum in the carriage.......at least until I can master that much.

Actually now, you got me thinking. Two drums (later, if I can use your advice, one drum, and just get a working lift for starters) one to pull up.....one to pull down. The catch would be to have enough tension pulling downwards to offset the 'jumping' or 'pee pee dance' as I've taken to calling it. This is what the game is all about to me, not just glorified minecraft castles and swords.

Thanks again! I will use all of your advice!

6. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

Kobi 2 - I can't thank you enough for the inspiration. The wheels as guides and not round timbers as guides was key. I had trouble with a drum and hand crank placed on the lift itself (besides the fact I didn't want it there in the first place) so I reverted to a one-drum rig placed over the carriage. Added stabilization came from the addition of diagonal timbers tapered to the point of connection to the rope. Stoppers for height limiting are round timbers (found they don't get as sticky as square timbers). I started simple but later added a hand crank at the ground level with a wheel/pulley system for convenience. So far it's working just fine. All that's left is to see just how much weight in silver ore it can lift at once. It lifted a full small stockpile of stone with out breaking a sweat, so I imagine several baskets or crates of silver ore should be OK for it to handle. It was set up to lift silver from what I believe is one of the largest silver deposits in the game so all I need now is a foundry built next to ground level. As the silver deposit gets deeper, simple modifications to allow it to go down further should be a breeze. Here's some screen shots so you have an idea just how much you helped......

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....424/61FDD967CE5BC7DF526F6BABE7E9561EFDFF82C7/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....070/E5A15EC7412C768579356152CAA116108839289F/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....774/3ECF95947CCEFE7BDEB1F22B666B74FF2D483C86/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....424/61FDD967CE5BC7DF526F6BABE7E9561EFDFF82C7/

Again, I can't thank you enough for the detailed advice.

Next project.......a multi-cart rail system using a rope drum rig for a drive.

7. Köbi 2 Apprentice Engineer

Well done! Thats a perfect setup! Looks pretty similar to what I had. (I didnt had the diagonal timbers on top, which looks better than mine.)

There is no weight limit at all. (I believe. I had 8 small stone storages on mine without problem.) But the load needs to be spread evenly, so it wont tilt or get to much out of balance.

8. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

Thanks. Since it will be lifting mostly silver ore, it should be fair on the balance/weight issue considering the disparity between one large stone (1000 Kg) and one silver ore (24 Kg). I will still have stone stockpiles/ore baskets stored close by for interchangeability. Also considering the balance issue and the powerful lifting capacity......I could fill out the carriage floor with more timbers to add some gravitic 'pull' downwards for even greater stability later (as needed). The carriage seems solid enough now and yet light weight enough for me to cut it loose for maintenance and not watch it smash to bits when it falls to the bottom of the shaft. Then again, it is, for now only two blocks below ground level.

And you were right about it's looks. It ain't gonna win any beauty contests any time soon but it's job comes first. Same goes for my farming carts. Simplistically small, tried and true, get the job done and perform like a charm......just - hideous. Copious amounts of produce quickly.