1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

miner for 1-1-1 survival

Discussion in 'Survival' started by atlervetok, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. atlervetok

atlervetok Trainee Engineer

i have made several attempts now, but any miner i seem to make either cant lift because not enough thrusters, and honestly i dont have enough space for thrusters.
    or it can lift but carries such a pitifull amount i may aswell be digging by hand.

does anyone have a good realistic survival miner, i could have a look at?

thanks!

2. odizzido

odizzido Junior Engineer

I have a flying miner I can post when I get home that I like. It's not pretty but it's effective....however with the massive wheel improvements I am going to give a good look at a ground vehicle. They can haul huge amounts for very little power and wheels are cheap compared to engines.

3. SilentShadow

SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I made one from scratch but it's ugly and fragile.

Basically, it only holds about 35k - 40k of ore before it stops flying. Has no style because armor blocks add weight. Think 2 large thrusters for lift plus about 8 forward thrusters for when you are angled down.

4. atlervetok

that would be great, so far my designs have at most managed to carry 10k at once. just need a couple of designs to see what im doing wrong. this is my first time playing on full realistic settings

5. SilentShadow

I'm also doing 1x. I'll see if I get on late tonight to share the blueprint. But as I said it is ugly and fragile. I don't have the style that other users here have.

Btw, goes without saying, sorter and stone ejector.

6. jonesskill

jonesskill Trainee Engineer

Gosh, you guys must to like to suffer.

Why play 1-1-1 if we can even build larger things before servers crash? only to suffer?? =D
    This is a legit question, i need to undestand =S

7. odizzido

odizzido Junior Engineer

just recorded/uploaded so the quality will be crap till youtube creates a better version. Still, you should be able to see how it is built. Oh, I also put the connector there so it's easy to dock. I like that location.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SilentShadow

9. atlervetok

the challenge, x3 and x10 inventory size is to easy, a couple of thrusters and your in space. on 1x ive spend the last couple of days designing and redesigning my first planetary miner to come up short(im not great with the maths)

ps: also thanks silentshadow and oddizido, function over beauty is what is needed so dont worry about the looks, i really appreciate it

• Like Like x 2
  10. NoThanks

NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

11. Sich

Sich Trainee Engineer

12. Farindark

Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

You are definitely NOT the first to ponder this question and face the problem. I have bemoaned the inability to build functional and good looking "survival" miners since Keen denuked the small nuclear generators around the time of the arrival of atmospheric thrusters and made several posts "sooking" about the lack of being able to build functional and sturdy small ships in general without turning them into thruster pin cushions. This https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681340233 was my staple miner which survived the arrival of planets just barely for a short time until the small nuclear generators received a second kick in the guts which relegated it to space and moons only, it just barely works on moons when full thanks to the hydrogen thrusters I could retro fit in the available space I had in the design.

I am not saying it is impossible to build a functional small miner there are many unique and clever ideas to get around this. Interesting though 99pc seem to be based around plunge miners instead of "flyable" craft. I'm just saying it's a lot bloody harder to make good looking and functional small miners now without them looking like pin"insert thruster"cushions.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  13. odizzido

odizzido Junior Engineer

Actually with the recent changes to wheels and pistons/rotors I can see new designs coming out. The one I posted was made around a year ago when building anything with any complexity was just asking for it to explode. In the game I am currently playing I have a mobile base/miner that has been working extremely well. Considering the flying miner I posted is like 800 or more motors the vehicle I am currently using is probably cheaper to build despite the huge size difference. Minus the refineries and such of course which you would have anyways, just usually not with you.

But yeah, here is the wheeled vehicle I am messing around with now

14. TidusKlein

TidusKlein Apprentice Engineer

Only 10k? What are you building? Ive never made a miner that carried so little. I only ever play on 1x1x1 as being able to pack a trains worth of loot into your pockets never appealed to me and forces you to actually engineer instead of running around with your hand tools.

All my Atmo miners have payload frations higher then 50k with out looking like a turbine factory puked on them. Word of advise you want the highest thrust to weight ratio you can get, so forget about large atm thrusters, they are far to heavy for the trust they provide, only having a TWR of 9.7 where the small ones have a TWR of 15.12.
    9 small atmo thrusters will have nearly double the thrust, and nearly the same weight as a large atmo thruster.
    You only ever need 2 drills on your ship a syou want to be able to control how much ore your packing in.

Take a look at my most recent atmo miner in these pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see it dosent look like crap, or a thruster pin cushion. And it can safely heft up to 70KG of ore where ever you want it, 80-90 if you really want to push it and your around sea level.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SilentShadow

IIRC, large vs small thrusters is a trade. Small may have better TWR but large has better power efficiency.

16. TidusKlein

Thats true but when is power any type of consern in SE? If you have the resources to justify needing a miner then chances are you have the power ouput to maintain it. Besides using 1500 more Watts to have a higher payload fraction is almost negligible, hauling more ore in faster single trips will save more power then having to make slower multiple ones.

If keen wanted the large thruster to realy compete with all the others in game they would have to drop its weight down to around 2.5Kg instead of the 4.2 it weighs now, that would give it comperable TWR as the small ones.

17. Sich

Sich Trainee Engineer

Try to play with scarce ressouce, no uranium except on alien planet....
    Then the power is real problem and you have to take care on what you build...

• Like Like x 1
  18. TidusKlein

I have played on such a senario, except i usually have some sort of atmosheric mod installed, as having wings that actually work is almost a dedicated need in that situation. You need a power efficant scout to find ores. Then a large truck to go out and mine said ores by hand till the truck is utterly full. Which is the absolute most power efficant way of doing things.

You can have 2 of three things when engineering. You can be fast and haul alot, bt your not going to be efficient. You can efficient and haul alot but your not going to be fast. And you can be fast and efficient, but you wont haul alot. Its just your choice.

19. odizzido

odizzido Junior Engineer

I am not sure I really agree with that. On a planet at least. If you're fast that's less time you're in the air. Maybe you use 40% more power when flying but you if you only spend half the time in the air it's actually pretty good in terms of power use.

20. Sinbad

Sinbad Senior Engineer

for small atmo miners, in addition to using the small thrusters, ditch the reactor. the batteries for small grid have an awesome power density, far superior to any combination of reactor in regards to power output per kilogram. atmos are power hungry little beasts, especially the small ones (that TWR though..) enough reactors to power them is really heavy.
    my standard miner is a normal cockpit (lighter than the fighter)with a couple of o2 bottles in the inventory (load them from the front hatch), then 2 batteries with a connector on the back. run two conveyor lines from the side ports of the connector up to right behind the cockpit (along the sides of the two batteries), then build outboard with a conveyor junction. put your drills on that, facing forward either side of the cockpit. off the back of the junctions, put a sorter and an ejector. thats about it. 4 thrusters forward and aft, two for each of the sides, two pointing up and 8 pointing down. just make sure nothing pokes out further than 1 block wider or taller than the drills hitbox.
    that runs for about an hour on the batteries. plenty of time to fill the drills and the connector with ore. it handles like a pig when full though. add lights and an ore detector and you are set.

picture is worth a thousand words...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and a blueprint is a good as a book
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1310404614

21. NoThanks

NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

i've seen a handful of random subscribers, no doubt due to this thread. I like sharing creations. One of the few joys left in this game.... I was hankering to play it again last night but, when I saw the new changelog I realized it might be more hassle than it's worth.

22. TidusKlein

But basicly what i mean by efficient is that there are 3 ways of planetary mining, (and sub types of the three) but you basicly have very high efficiency wheeled miners that can range from a rover with a drill crane to full on mobile mining rigs.
    Med efficiency atmo miners, ranging from small one drill ugly ducklings, to 10+ drill boring machines.
    Then you have the low efficency large grid atmo miners, basicly scales up small ship miners capable of strip mining a whole mountain. While using the same moutian of U just to power it.
    It all depends on how much you want to mine and how fast you want to do it and at what cost to power. There way you have to make a trade.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  23. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Sometimes it’s better to just better to grab a bottle of hydrogen and oxygen and jet to the stars (i.e., asteroids) to get 10K or ore (this is especially true for some ores like platinum). A bottle of each is more than enough to do some space prospecting and get you home again.

24. TidusKlein

:woot: ya thats one way to do it, just slap on 10x invintory grab a hydro bottle and a oxy bottle, grab all the components for a reactor a assembler and a arc furnace. Then just jet pack to space.....yup seems legit

Just goes to show, once you have a o2 gen, the game is won, start where ever you want.
    Which just soldifys how bonkers SE’s balance and progression...i do hope keen reworks survival soon(tm) (looks back at all the teasers in the old update videos that never saw the light of day.)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  25. Spaceman Spiff

You’re absolutely right. Once you’ve got power recharging capabilities (e.g., a small block small reactor on a small-head rotor and a passenger seat) and a source of oxygen (O2/H2 generator and ice), you’re golden. Everything else after that is just empire-building.

26. Vim Razz

Vim Razz Trainee Engineer

This is the sort of planetary miner that I like to use: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312630380

It's designed to carry about 200k kg (~500k total mass), but isn't designed to pitch up or down more than 22.5 degrees (1 down, 2 over), so that's something to be careful of if you try it out. You can actually push it up to 250k per load, but it gets pretty sluggish.

The benefit of cutting at a shallow angle is that you can get away with fewer thrusters or power plants than similar designs that cut down more aggressively.

There's some instructions on the workshop page, or if you want to see a video of a similar ship, then there's this video from an LP that I was trying to do about a year ago (that I never got very far in before I got distracted. Also: you are warned that I'm not great at youtube.). That ship behaves in the same was as this one, it just has less capacity since it's a light multipurpose utility ship with a mining attachment rather than a dedicated miner.

27. Sinbad

Sinbad Senior Engineer

@Vim Razz if you need to go that big, you should already be mining in space. if you need huge quantities on the planet, its pretty cheap to parachute down cargo pods full of stuff for pickup with a truck.

thats my opinion at least.

28. Vim Razz

Vim Razz Trainee Engineer

While that is an option, it doesn't really sound faster or more convenient for building on the surface unless you've got a lot of infrastructure in "orbit" already.

Besides, when I want to play in space, I just play in space... There's no reason to start planetside if you don't intend to stay a while.

29. Spaceman Spiff

I enjoy liberating something big like a raiding station and pancaking the sucker on top of the planet’s pirate base (loaded with armed warheads, of course). It’s short, but spectacular. Smoked those suckers!

30. TidusKlein

I find this odd that ive played several survival games and i have never run into the pirates...like ever. In space i have but never planetary do pirate stations simply not spawn on mars? (I always play on mars with 1x1x1 and crashing the mk1 lander, usually hard enough to lose half of it, last round i lost everything but 2S engines a reactor, flight seat and a few armor blocks, was a absoulte amazing start.)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.