Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

miner for 1-1-1 survival

Discussion in 'Survival' started by atlervetok, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Nah, there aren’t “raiding stations” on moons and planets...just “facilities.” I jet up into space and liberate the pirates of a raiding station (or raiding outpost, but their impact isn’t nearly as spectacular), then crash it into the planet (or moon). It’s great entertainment (for the first or second time, that is).

2. TidusKlein Apprentice Engineer

:woot: haha thats the point i havent run across any AI at all in my last few survival games, no drones, no cargo ships, no base on the planet telling to stay the duck away nothing. I was just wondering if they spawn on mars or if my game is missing something (and yes every thing is enabled in advanced options.)
    Nothing to point my gun at.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Before you start a new map, do you go into "Advanced" and check the boxes that say "cargo ships" and "enable drones" and all that stuff? If you don't, they don't show up.

4. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

The stations on planet surfaces are features of scenarios, i.e., Easy Start Earth, etc., and were placed by hand. They won't appear if you're using a scenario you've downloaded, or if you spawned the planets yourself.

Aside from the checkboxes for drones, wolves, and spiders, there are checkboxes for cargo ships, and for random encounters. The cargo ships are all assigned to the "Space Pirate" faction and are marked hostile. The "raiding outposts" and "stations" are part of random encounters -- as is, curiously, the less often seen IMDC Cerberus Destroyer. Other than the raiding outposts and stations and the Cerberus, the other random encounters are powered down and do not have indicators -- which is why they're usually referred to as derelicts. (Also, because most of the designs are old and lack features like oxygen pressurization and programmable blocks.) It's really hard to spot them.

An important thing about random encounters is that they're generated procedurally, and whether they appear depends strongly on your visibility range. While using Midspace's exploration ship scan, I rarely found derelicts, with the visibility range set to the default 15km; with visibility at 50km, I'd find between two and five each time I scanned.

I don't know why you wouldn't see the cargo ships if everything is enabled in advanced options. They spawn every few minutes, always about 10 km away, and will appear in custom scenarios.

EDIT: I noticed a comment to Midspace's mod, that scans aren't finding anything now. I haven't actually tried this out in quite a while.

5. TidusKlein Apprentice Engineer

Aaa i was hoping that maybe bases and such spawned on procedural planets in the star system start...guess all of the ones ive seen where placed manually or, part of a workshop scenario

6. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

By the way, I've not actually tried out this set of mods, but I keep meaning to:
    Modular Encounters Collection

7. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I've tried it out a bit this weekend. In general, they offer an improved PvE experience, mostly more of the same, but with better "pirate" and derelict ships. In particular, installing both Surface Occupation and Planetary Installations will add "pirate" outposts on planets; they're spawned semi-randomly.

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I also recently tried those mods and enjoyed, for awhile, grinding my way into each of the various cargo ships, military ships, and surface installations. Unfortunately, I kind of lost interest after pancaking yet another vessel into the ground, or disabling all an installation’s turrets and stealing all their uranium. I’m done with SE for awhile.

9. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Me too. Actually trying out those mods was the impetus to start up SE after having not really touched it much for a few weeks, aside from a few tweaks to some blueprints I'd been meaning to make. I'm not much interested in SE as a game, just as a sandbox, and I've pretty much built what I wanted to build.

That said, if you want a little more interesting stuff popping up, that set of mods is the way to go.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I agree completely.

11. Calaban Junior Engineer

The EEM mod (enhanced exploration mod) had some good PvE moments, and simply flying up to a ship and start grinding on it was a great way to summon the military police. (no mere assailants there)

There was also the infrequent active attack by pirates on your base... starting small, then escalating as the damaged ship start beaconing "REQUEST ASSISTANCE".. and BOY does that assitance arrive! it often snowballs into a giant furball of wreckage and debris.. on both sides. great fun.. IF you were prepared for it.

Ive heard that the mod isnt handling changes to updates very well whough which is sad... I really liked the point of police responses and not letting a passing pirate trigger a "LOOT DETECTED" beacon, which prings in the piranhas.

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That actually sounds fun. I like a challenge.

13. TidusKlein Apprentice Engineer

One of my very own ships, is used as a cargo ship in that mod, if you ever run by the dawn, wave hi as your raiding my ship :woot:.

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I enjoyed that a lot. It was an interesting exercise to loot a ship, abandon it, get two or three SEPD on my tail, then take them out, one-by-one, with my trusty grinder.

15. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

for planet mining I find if I use a gravity alignment script.. I can make a functional miner with far fewer thrusts. as you don't need as much power in all directions to correct those manual flying wobbles.. and its a script in a program block NOT a mod. I Also find I can fit a large thruster between drill bits I see designs with the drill bits very close together and you don't need to. If you like mods, A mod I find makes mining on planets trivial it the Hover Engine one, they are very powerful.

16. Erzherzoghans Trainee Engineer

For ground based games or when I start on the ground. I usually will do a mining platform and engineer my way to get all of the ore out using pistons and rotors and such. Then finding a good way to make a Cargo Truck to haul the ores back to a refinery and then transporting the ingots to a manufacturing base and then taking those goods to a warehouse.

Other times if using a mod like Nanobot build and repair aka "Bob" then I might manually mine and let bob pick up the ore on a rover and then head back to base.

usually for realistic or lower settings I usually just go with one and maybe 2 drills and no cargo on the miner. I might have a rover which has 1 or maybe 2 large cargo and I dock the miner on top of it to unload the ore. The Rover moves really slow but then again I like moving slow in the game.

17. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Combination of small flying drill ship and medium sized truck would be the easiest solution. Small drill ship has 2 drills, connector on the bottom, 1 battery, 1 small reactor (for recharging battery in case of power loss), enough thrusters for the battery can handle and NO cargo container (because each drill block has carco capacity equal to medium cargo container). Truck should be large enough to not being unstable when the drill ship is on top of the truck when driving to the mining area. When you are near the mining area, go to drill ship's cockpit (or remote control) and start mining. Due to truck's cargo capacity, it may take many trips between mining pit and truck for unloading the ore.

18. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

My current go to for mining in a 1:1:1 world is to forgo thrustered miners altogether in the beginning. I build a rover as a bulk transport, but I build a shaft down 5-10 blocks lower than the ore deposit with collector(s) around it and a connector, sorter and stone ejector on the surface for the rover. Hand mine so the rocks fall to the collector. You use almost no power to do it this way.

You can optionally build a supplementary thrustered miner that ejects the ore and has no cargo space to do what you'd be doing by hand but faster. I find this easier and less problematic on mp servers that limit rotors/pistons.

It's also great for scarce resources mod where hydrogen thruster miners are now not worth the effort :p

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.