Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Minerals still broken?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Keten Kennek, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

I was real excited about the new patch, and started _another_ painful 1x1x1 survival with infinite, normal density.

The only drawback I deny is meteors. Just not realistic.

Anyway, after travelling back and forth over 60,000 km to 10+ asteroids, I just cant find a diversity of minerals.

Found: Fe (tons), Pt (very small), Au (small), U (small), Ni (small), and Co (ok).

Thats it. Unlucky or broken?

2. gompasta Apprentice Engineer

You are probably unlucky. From a distance, asteroids are often coloured similar to what ores they hold, so you can use that to guide you. From my experience, asteroids seem to contain at most 2 minerals. One being iron, and another either uranium, or rarely a random other mineral. I believe ore generation is in desparate need of an overhaul, as with the vaster scape of the universe, and longer distance between asteroids, finding ores tend to be too tedious. Finding scattered ships would have been an alternative if they werent rarer than unicorns.

3. TheNirl Trainee Engineer

Broken. You will find no accounts of people starting a lone survivor scenario and finding all the ores before dying. Some people say they did, but they're using old saves or pasting ships and items into the new world, and stuff like that. I've also flown around in creative for quite a bit, both on infinite and small worlds. There are always some ores missing. But even if all the ores are there, their quantities would be so infinitesimal that you can't really build up a world.

4. Latsabb Senior Engineer

TheNirl is 100% incorrect in stating that there are missing ores, or very few of select ones. (at least for any infinite world) Lone survivor is basically a crap shoot, though.

5. Napalm Trainee Engineer

I wouldn't say broken, more like it needs a slight adjustment.

I've started a fresh game with the new patch in a high-density infinite map, so far it's been pretty good flying around in the yellow bumble bee starter ship searching out the minerals. Only ones I need to find now are Silicon and Platinum (and Cobalt but I did pass an asteroid with that but didn't mine it).

Yes it's a bit boring flying about the asteroids to find the minerals but it is also more satisfying when I do finally find them.

6. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

So, Nirl says they are broken, Napalm says hey thinks there are 100% mins present.

I have now restarted 5 times, in Survivor and Escape Ship. I am always missing 2 minerals. Out of Pt, Ag, Si, - 1 is missing, Ni, Co, Au - 1 is missing.

Again, maybe unlucky... but I'm going back to my old saves...

Is there any way to update an old save file to make an infinite world?

7. Latsabb Senior Engineer

I have started 4 exploration games, two easy start 1s, and two asteroids. Both have had all materials within 10-15km of starting, with three of them having all materials within 10km. (density set at high)

8. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

are there any SE tools to see the ores currently present in the (currently generated) world?

a tool for adjusting a broken ore set would be nice as well

9. Latsabb Senior Engineer

Not that I am aware of. And, as mentioned, there is no such thing as a broken ore set. It is all there. You just need to look.

10. TheNirl Trainee Engineer

Basically, what this means is that you can - allegedly - find all the ores you need to build an actual ship if you already have an actual ship to look for them. It's up to you to believe the theory that the lone survivor scenario was designed to be a shot in the dark, and that you may or may not be able to survive in it.

11. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

I did start a game of lone survivor with infinite map, high density. I could find all the ore types on that map (but it took so much work that I not surprised that people are put off by it). Unfortunately, 1 is 25 km out, and most of the rest I will have to search for again. I might have been lucky. I found them by wondering around (and wasted a lot of time doing so). I found that I couldn't easily determine distance and it was easy to lose track where you've been. Considering that the easiest way to find ore (at this time) is to see it in person, you want to be investigating as many rocks as you can find. In my eyes, this game will be better when you can find ore easier or you have better tools for doing that.

Edit: By the way, I was lucky enough to find a uranium deposit on my local asteroid. That said, I know how to save power so that I could last a while without a fresh supply.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  12. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

Ok, so the consensus is now _not_ broken, just harder.

I'm ok with that, but I switched to an Asteroids start with High Density.

No way I'm spending a week jetpacking around looking for 797 ore at a time.

I enjoy a survival challenge, but not masochism.

-KK

13. Echillion Senior Engineer

Your bloody lucky if your finding Cobalt I'm having a hell of a time trying to find it and silicon and platinum!

14. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

Yeah, masochism would be a good word to describe things. I think I'll cut back on playing until things are fixed. I'm nabbing many cargo ship flying nearby. I can do that in any other game. I have more parts than what I know what to do with. Mining has become an after thought.

15. dustnbone Trainee Engineer

I started an "Asteroids" unlimited sparse map yesterday, my first one since patch. As usual I prioritized finding Uranium, and once I realized how much distance I needed to cover between asteroids I shut everything in the yellow bus off that I didn't need. I think it was about the 7th or 8th asteroid I flew to that I found Uranium, and I had about 10 minutes of full thrust time left, or about half the initial fuel. Once again this was with careful flying, on a sparse map with about 10km between asteroids.

After about 5 hours of gameplay, I have managed to locate decent sized deposits of everything but platinum, all within about 30km of eachother. I'm very confident there is platinum nearby, I just have to do some more scouting to find it.

Each deposit I find I place a solar panel/beacon mini station nearby, named appropriately and set to 50km range. I captured a business shipment in my suit that provided all necessary materials for these.

So, in short, getting set up with the uranium you need to initially survive might be tricky, that initial supply you get is more precious than ever, but you'd have to be some combination of very careless and very unlucky to die before you find more, especially on normal density. Turn off gravgen, refinery, assembler, interior lights, etc. Maybe don't fly at top speed. All things that increase your chances. Besides, this is "Survival". Sometimes you might not survive. Especially if you're not careful.

Getting the rest of the ores has actually been an interesting challenge. There's no early game requirement for any of them, and I personally think making finding all the raw materials necessary to construct an entire space ship a little bit difficult to be a good change to the game. It added a new dynamic to the early part of the game that I was not expecting.

Anyways I'll shut up now.

Dustin

16. Yaddah Apprentice Engineer

I started playing on a community server with an infinite world and from my experience nothing is broken. It's just a challenge to find all of the different ores but I found them all and I'm now beginning to construct my multipurpose large ship.

I got a bit lucky finding uranium on the 2nd or 3rd asteroid I visited with my spawnship. I grinded down the spawnship and built a reactor, a refienry, an assembler, a medical room and a large cargo container. Then I ventured out to all the neighbouring asteroids (even thoguh they were really far appart) and found every type of ore each within one of the single small asteroids that usually accompany the big ones which only hold iron. I had trouble finding nickel and cobalt, but after enough searching I eventually got lucky. And I still haven't visited all the "nearby" asteroids but I suspect that the algorithm for world creation is setup to spawn all types of ores within a certain range of each other... At least that would make sense since I have only encountered uranium and magnesium twice.

17. Gawron10001 Trainee Engineer

I have the same problem. Are these asteroids made by community ?

18. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

Nickel is also my 'white whale'...

I keep rushing to the orange/salmon asteroids with hope in my heart, only to find....

Iron.

:(

19. Latsabb Senior Engineer

All of them have iron. Just because you found iron, doesnt mean that nickel isnt there.

20. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

I should have said, I exclusively find Iron, and sometimes 1 other mineral...

Here is my general approach:

Fly to 'roid, examine exposed minerals (usually Iron, sometimes Iron and 1 other),
    Hand drill through stone to another mineral (usually iron)
    Fly over to a different area, preferable 90' to 180' away from known mins,
    Hand drill through stone to mineral, or through 'roid.

Go back to Magic Schoolbus,

Rinse, Repeat.

Any thoughts? I'm down to 5 hours of fuel...

21. Latsabb Senior Engineer

Unless it was a giant donut, with no "satellite" asteroids attached or near it, it has an ore other than iron in it. (with the rare exception of an extremely gutted/shattered asteroid) With over 100 asteroids charted now, I can safely assert that as factual.

22. dustnbone Trainee Engineer

I would concentrate on looking for surface deposits of uranium until you have secured a supply of it. I've found it both as the core of a "moon" and on the surface inside a hollow 'roid. If you fly in your suit, I'd accelerate towards your target, then once at top speed shut off your suit with X until you need to stop. You will drain much less power this way making it possible to cover far greater distances without running out of suit energy.

Once I shut down all the systems I didn't initially need on the spawn ship, I had about 2 days of idle time or 20ish minutes at full forward thrust, which may not sound like much but if you drift with dampeners off and plan your moves carefully you should be able to explore a fair number of asteroids before fuel is a requirement.

23. Echillion Senior Engineer

I have now found Cobalt and Silicon but still cant find any platinum to the point I've been drilling test bore holes by hand drill to try and hit a vein of it or get a whiff of some?

24. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

Got my nickel, _very_ poor amount. Completed shattered asteroid, with patches of nickel and iron.

So little, but enough to make some motors for the ore detectors!! Easy Street, Here I Come!!!

Anyone find the 'cornucopia asteroid' like before? with 4-6 minerals?

25. Zourin Apprentice Engineer

First asteroid I found was a 'cornucopia asteroid'. Of course, this was on an Asteroid start, so I had to promptly abandon it and lose it to the void since it didn't have uranium.

If you grind down a thruster, the windshield (in space!) and the connector on the lifeboat, you *should* have enough materials (with a little reprocessing) for an OD at the start.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  26. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

Ok, now I feel stupid. Of course grinding that connector would yield me an OD...

Well, I suffered... Now I'm ok, just need some more uranium...

27. Zourin Apprentice Engineer

nah, it's not normal to think of deconstructing parts of a respawn ship to make different parts. Normally, we all make stuff from scratch when we need something (so we don't lose functionality of existing parts). You have to rebuild that connector eventually to dock utility ships.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  28. Tiger313 Apprentice Engineer

Can't start with one of the little starter ships and use that?

29. Dajk Trainee Engineer

In lone survivor when you start moving to another asteroid, get a good speed in the direction you want, and then kill the jetpack. I find that this method allows me to visit about 10 asteroids from 6-30KM away inside of one recharge. Granted I could still not locate silver (found about 30L Platinum, enough for a small ship but not the 60+ needed for 6 small thrusters on a large. that was it) in over 10 hours. The problem is that going via jetpack back and forth limits the amount of ore you can bring back, and it would be forever until you have enough to build a ship. Silver and platinum are almost impossible to find but required to build a reactor, so we are stuck until we find it. I found that gold was the second most available after iron.

The thought of cannibalizing the station reactor occurred to me, but the the beacon needs power. no beacon, no hope. I Actually don't mind sparse minerals, but we need to be able to make a small ship at least inside of 10 hours right? How can people stay interested without at least that much?

Suggestion: Ensure that a very small amount of silver, cobalt, platinum, gold, nickel and silicon are visually find-able on the spawning asteroid, not much, just enough for 1 or 2 rectors and 7 or 8 small thrusts on a small ship. Its OK to expect a few jump suit trips to nearby asteroids for the common stuff like Iron and uranium.

30. dustnbone Trainee Engineer

You'll have a really hard time trying to build yourself a ship mining by hand for sure. I'm guessing the people having most trouble are starting on the Lone Survivor platform and don't have a ship to mine with. I'm really not sure if this is a viable starting scenario given the current state of ore distribution, especially in a sparse world. Capturing at least one cargo ship almost seems mandatory, but I will give this a try later on.

For those starting with a yellow spawn ship, I highly recommend removing the connector, collector, front windshield and maybe a few other bits, building a drill off the rear (refinery) end, and move the flight seat to the rear, on top of the refinery. You should also have enough materials for an ore detector, though the utility of this is questionable currently. Now you have at least a minimal mining ship, and as long as you have a decent supply of uranium, you have all the time you need to find the rest of the materials.

Game has certainly changed this week though.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.