Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Mining ship design

Discussion in 'Survival' started by TheBlackPumpkin, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bullfrog Trainee Engineer

Yes with no gravity. I think it works better because it makes a smaller hole so all the loose chunks can't escape as easily

2. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

I haven't been able to get in to test my mining ship yet, but one idea that came to mind was that perhaps the mining drills had a radius in which they "sucked up" the little balls of ore. Perhaps with only one drill, it can suck up anything nearby because the "field" points at the drill. But perhaps with multiple drills in some kind of symmetric geometry there are saddles with no direction between them?

In electrostatics if you have a set of charges in a symmetrical shape the electric field at the exact geometric center of them is zero, but it is unstable. So maybe I'm wrong. I have to test this when I have time.

If this is intended (as part of the patch) it really nerfs high-volume mining with big mining ships. /sigh

3. Relkan Apprentice Engineer

Given the response the mining bug thread got, I seriously doubt this was intended as part of the patch. (Wouldn't the devs have said anything about changing mining drills? They've mentioned modifications to everything else so far.)

4. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

Last time I checked that thread I hadn't seen a response. If this is definitely a bug then I'm quite glad to hear it.

And I agree, the always update us on what they've deliberately changed, so I was probably fretting over nothing.

5. kern4444 Trainee Engineer

Ugly, but it works. Also, doesn't damage in tunnels.

[​IMG]

6. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

How do you see where / what you are mining? Your cockpit looks really crammed in.

7. Ika33 Trainee Engineer

Hello there,

This is the mining ship I came up with after some tries in survival. I have begun the game with the yellow ship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241715435

Some characteristics :

Mass : 28 243 kg
    Generators : 900 Kw
    Thursters : 39 (6 each side except the rear with 9)
    Gyroscopes : 3 (2 may be enough, I ll see that later)

Drills : 14
    Lights : 12
    Medium Containers : 2

This ship run whith + 140 kg of uranium. So it can drill for about 14-15 days non stop.
    That why It have 2 medium containers too. It s designed so it can go for long mining trips :)

I tried to ally autonomy and a compact size (I tried ^^).
    The drills are at the end of "arms", not a wall of iron, so I can see what I'm doing at the bottom of my hole :p
    They are also built vertically so I can acces easily their inventory (from up and bottom).

The thursters / generators / gyro are more or less "hidden" in the hull. So I can drill my hole and take no significant damage.

Et voila, Hope U like it. Feel free to give me your criticisms !

PS : I am french, hope U have understood my text :p

8. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

I only have one question (which might be answered with two words, functional conveyors), but isn't emptying 14 drills really slow or to be blunt, downright boring? Also... can you reach the cargo hatch for all the drills??

9. Ika33 Trainee Engineer

For the moment (like everyone I suppose), I park my ship the nearest of my refinery. So I dont have to move too much. Not so boring, relatively quick but it takes some times, yes.
    -> Functional conveyors where are you?

Yep, pretty easily. They re built on the same vertical axe. Few movements are needed.

10. Crampman Trainee Engineer

Hello folks,

This is my small mining ship design :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entirely build in survival mode, took quite a time to build, but very effective.
    The purpose of the ship is to bore holes in the asteroids, but with the ability to turn while in the tunnels.

The drills placement allows to make a large hole with only 9 drills, while allowing to see where you're going (ok, you'll have to stop drilling to see anything)
    The ship is compatible with the thrusters damage, and include a medium cargo container, accessible from the rear.
    It can make full trips through asteroids without taking any damage, with minimal driving care.

Workhop : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241748207

Hope you like it !

11. Ika33 Trainee Engineer

Yep, very nice !

12. peacemaker109 Trainee Engineer

I use a 4 head miner, not sure yet on how to snap pics inside the game.
    Its pretty ugly looking but its quick and easy to make at the start without alot of resources.
    it has a large reactor, 3 thrusters in all directions, 6 thrusters to move forword., surounded in heavy haul. Not sure why but sometimes the tops will take damage other times they wont, so since one time i lost my reactor while mining some how, i decided to just keep the whole thing enlosed. I agree though not alot of need for a miner in the map with the crashed ship, will spend 10 years dismantaling that ship and lots of materials other then fuel for the reactors. With this rig I been using though I can go colect alot of resources pretty quick, aside from the fact im on a ancient puter, so it lags like nuts :( only a core 2duo :( i need a new puter to do much else

13. TheBlackPumpkin Trainee Engineer

The current mining ship design I am working on is almost the exact same design you use, except the back is much more square and i have 18 drills instead of 14.

I haven't had a chance to do any decoration or fine tuning, but the thing mines 100k iron in a matter of a couple mins. I'll post some pics when it's done.

14. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

All these posts about mining ship design... do these mining drills work now? The last time I tried (after the last patch) they were bugged, so most of the ore just went flying off. Even with gravity they didn't pick up the ore efficiently.

Are you guys actually capturing all the ore in the drills for these designs in survival today?

15. radam Senior Engineer

Multiplayer always causes some issues.

But it does seem to work.

Altho has anyone found a standard asteroid to check "mining efficiency" on? Does not need to be a big one.

16. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

They were kinda meh this weekend, but today my triple-drill miner was sucking up ore without much (if any) ore drifting off.

So for my part it works just great again.

17. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

Here's my current mining ship for survival, no name as of yet:

[​IMG]
    And here's a full view of its still not quite finished parent ship:

[​IMG]

18. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

I just tested this again. I created a new world and made a one-drill small ship. With no gravity debris flies off, when it didn't in the first survival patch. If you put gravity on, the debris stays in the hole and a single drill will pick up most of it.

I went back to my survival world with a four-drill machine without gravity, debris everywhere, and lots of it. When I put on gravity and drilled straight down, not many of the ore boulders got picked up. The total volume of ore is much, much lower than it was.

If you're trying to make the resources in the asteroids of your map last for a long survival game, the small ship drill is totally broken, IMO.

19. TheBlackPumpkin Trainee Engineer

I agree it does seem a bit slower as far as collecting ore goes. But the ore flying off be it a bug or intentional is really annoying and doesn't need to be apart of the game. If its a realism issue then drills shouldn't suck up ore in the first place. But lets be honest, if it were deliberate because of realism, not only would it not make any sense due to current drill mechanics, but no one would want to play if that was how the mining worked.

Therefor i'd be willing to bet its a bug, just give them time to release a new hotfix / patch. In the meantime though, my 18 drill mining rig still manages to mine 360k or so iron in the matter of about 30-40 mins. That being said I have no issues keeping enough ore for building projects.

20. BiggLou55 Apprentice Engineer

21. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

That is a sexy orange....
    Sweet ship!

22. TheBlackPumpkin Trainee Engineer

Wow nice ship, I dig the landing pads / windows.

23. Astrid Trainee Engineer

I am curious how long it would take to build that beast in survival...

24. BiggLou55 Apprentice Engineer

I built it in Creative to perfect the design, and then used it to generate a Survival Primer....

...but I've build larger ships in survival, and they do take some time especially if you are working alone and with heavy armor blocks. I like to get the shell done first with unfinished blocks, as well as just place the frames for all of the gear. AS long as it all fits, I'll start welding. I can get really confusing looking at all of the unfinished blocks, but it's a helluva lot easier that placing/building/grinding, especially with heavy armor.

Why heavy armor? Mainly for protection against thruster damage. Every surface can be used as a landing pad. If you read my survival primer on the Workshop, you understand my idea for the ship.

25. Captain Snyder Apprentice Engineer

Where did you get your Inspiration for your ship "The Hobo"?

I'm curious. Was it inspired, or are you that damn good?

26. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

No time right this second to test mining drills... has anyone checked if this mention in today's patch got drills working right again?

"wrong collision model of ship drill after deformations"

That makes me think maybe my theory that the destruction of ore / stone on the sides of the drill when it moves laterally was the problem.

27. BiggLou55 Apprentice Engineer

I'm not that good man... ;-)

My inspiration for the Hobo (originally simply called "Mobile Platform") started with the idea of a mobile mining/building platform for survival. I grew tired of the cargo/recharge runs VERY quickly. I knew I wanted and Assembler, Refinery, cargo space, med bay, and a place to dock my mining/cargo ships to unload ore and load up on parts. The Hobo name came when I started docking all of the other ships. Images of Hobos in boxcars came to mind.

The Eagle cargo ship started as a a smaller scale design exercise. I wanted to build a replica of the "Eagle" from the 70's SciFi TV series called Space 1999 (which others have some great workshop stuff for now). I got a little sidetracked and ended up with one of my favorite ships so far... It's FAST and agile, but it's weak... 4 Large cargo containers though. I did put too many large reactors in it (4 of them), so it's ripe for a revamp...

The two mining ships were actually a family progression. The Minnow worked great, but I wanted something a bit more stable with more cargo space (large container versus a medium one). So I copied the Minnow and started working on Nemo. Instead of 6 small reactors I went with 1 large one. WAY better use of space (see below) since you only have to make one door available and it's as much power as 35 small reactors. Nemo has more gyros (makes it very touchy to mouse movements, but VERY stable while drilling), more power and more cargo space. It also has a rocker launcher and a gun.

The two runabouts are just simple small ships...

28. TheBlackPumpkin Trainee Engineer

Probably not all that long, me and a couple friends built a massive carrier type ship in survival and it only took about 10 hours i believe. Would have been faster but i was busy those 2 days they were working on it.

29. mote454 Trainee Engineer

Hi I'm a new member, I just bought the game the day survival came out, but thought I'd share my miner. This was after many 2,3 and 4 drill designs and learning the game at the same time. Its 5 drills with 4 small reactors and stays between 60 and 80% on the power. And the front thrusters are ok even with damage on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can still see on the inside view
    [​IMG]

And drills good holes.
    [​IMG]

Can see some more construction pictures here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/62792941@N03/with/13477341103/

30. Cronos988 Junior Engineer

How do you guys design your gravity generator mining beacons? I have a very basic one with just gravity gen and reactor, but since discovered I cannot control landing gears without a cockpit. Should I just use the beacon without a landing gear, just letting it float?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.