Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Engineers New! Minor Update 1.191.1 is Live!

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Blitzzz333, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

It appears that some years ago someone somewhere working for some company got the idea that having a presence on Facebook was a good idea, when Facebook was pretty much all there was. What they looked at was the number of accounts they had. They thought that being on a platform that so many people are using had to be a good idea, and it costs nothing. Then it became a thing to be on every popular social media platform, just to cover all the bases. If a platform has a lot of accounts, you need to be on it if you know what's good for you.

Problem is, the number of active accounts is way lower. I opened a Facebook account several years ago. I still have it because it's free, but I haven't touched it in years. I don't have, and never will have, a Twitter account. I just don't believe I could look someone in the eye and tell them I "tweeted". I'm not a tweeter, and I don't want to be one. I definitely don't want to be tweeted. I don't want tweeting in my vocabulary or in my life.

One could attribute more sales to SE's presence on major social media, or, one could attribute more sales to the fact that SE just keeps getting better. I can say that five years ago when I was looking for a new game to play I went to Twitch, not social media. Call me old-fashioned but whenever I wanted to find out more about a product I went to their website, not social media.

Of course, it's easier to use someone else's platform because you don't have to deal with the users or otherwise manage the site. Problem is the sites don't deal with issues either unless they get dragged in front of some government agency and told they will be shut down.

Thing is, like Space Engineers and Keen Software House, the forums here are different. It's more civil than most, and way more informative. I'm not saying this to win friends or influence people but, SE's fans strike me as more intelligent than average gamers. The game is more sophisticated, and so are the users, and the forums. I was starting to think we have set a new standard here. Now we are encouraged to swim in the cesspool, and KissSh0t has to wade in to find information and bring it back here. Now that's a fan:tu:. There's still no sign of this hotfix in the announcements forum. Just Twitter.

I know that the prevailing wisdom is to shotgun information to the widest possible audience. SE will never be a widely popular game. Angry Birds was not widely popular because it was sophisticated. SE is not Fortnite or WoW or Overwatch. It's not Minecraft. Those games don't have a larger player base because they're better than SE. They're just easier to pick up and play. The average gamer likes easy. The average player won't like SE. They won't buy skins or DLC just to keep the game going. They will, however, get frustrated trying to learn it and after an hour of playing they will go on social media and call the game stupid. Meanwhile the vast majority of people that are actually curious about SE, your potential "keepers", are coming here and wondering what's going on.

You have a web site and don't use it. You have Keen Community Network and don't use it. If it wasn't for Xocliw and fans that stream the game, SE would be all but invisible. Perhaps I should have said this on social media where it would be blindly reposted to millions of other people that otherwise couldn't care less. No one reposts good news. SE has a new skin. Yawn. Some guy posts SE sucks. Viral.

Social media will never "get" Space Engineers. If you want good PR, your best bet is KCN, not Twitter.

That would be work, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Yeah I feel like Keen started to become a little disconnected around the time they moved feedback away from this website and over to the separate "support site", which I tried using for a little while only to become annoyed by it and then stopping trying to report bugs followed by stopping playing the game around the time it left early access, now it's like I'm kinda waiting for the game to have something added to it that will make playing it fun.

When they teased AI back in.... what was it 2014? I got so excited at that and then went and built a huge base inside an asteroid thinking ho ho ho I have a head start and I'm going to make a base and protect all my resources and vehicles inside and make a big door to stop things getting in.... then nothing relating to that was added, then planets were added, that was cool, I started a new world, build up my resources, made a ship, got to the moon from earth like planet, collected more resources, then went to and landed on each other planet, then I was like... what else do I do? I don't play multiplayer, so.... that's where I stopped.

I watch Space Engineers Tumblr account haha.. they haven't updated it for a while https://spaceengineers.tumblr.com/

*fingers crossed that the next update has AI to go along with all the new factions*

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  3. Roxette Senior Engineer

They can't even manage to keep important information on Steam - their largest source of sales - or on their own domain websites updated and accurate, so this is hardly surprising.