Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Mod request] Conveyors explode!

Discussion in 'Questions and Suggestions' started by reeverdark, Oct 8, 2019.

1. reeverdark Trainee Engineer

It’s a simple request. Explosions! lots and lots of explosions!

I'd like the mod to reduce conveyor tube durability (with the exception of the 6 port conveyor block and any modded armoured tube), while also making it when it finally dies, produces an explosion with a 1 block radius, strong enough to kill an adjacent tube and inflict some damage to surrounding blocks.

The thinking for this is as follows> Conveyors are tubes, tubes that move things like ammo, hydrogen, oxygen, uranium, and other slightly more questionable items. Then, there is the slight question as to "how" these items are moved. I'm no SE lore expert, but I can only think of 2 ways this could be done right?

• The first one is by "blowing" items through the tubes, like they used to do for office mailing tubes.
    • The second is through some sort of non-specified gravity magic.

Now, if you haven't figured it out by now, but BOTH these possibilities represent some issues when dealing with a space bound situation and a serious amount of DAKA...

The first of the 2, if the tubes are ruptured, then rapid decompression occurs, which depending on the forces exerted here, (in which, to moves items, we can safely assume is CONSIDERABLE) then the tube exploding isn't that farfetched.

If it's the second, then said non-specified magic component can and will combust...

Now if it's none of these weeeeeelll.... remember what i said about; Oxygen, hydrogen, questionable items... OH myyy! So much explosive potential...

In sort, Conveyors are the fuel lines of your ship, if you rupture said fuel line, it should explode.

P.s. why not the 6-port conveyor block? Because it "looks" reinforced. It could still explode, but it shouldn't explode from an adjacent exploding tube.

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@reeverdark actually it is a vacuum system that is used in office mailings, banks and etc. Not "blowing" :)

But yeah it would be neat. I am not aware of any current mod that does that.

3. reeverdark Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the heads up... (Thumbs up)

Eventually i'd like to add this idea to a "everything explodes" mod, that adds together the jump drive explosions mod (that exists i believe), tanks explode (also exists), and increasing the explosive radius of things like the reactor, armoury, missile turret and if possible any container storing an "explosive item" while also adding the shrapnel damage mod (its exists) and that exploding debris mod (also exists). Once all together, balance it out a bit so its not super stupid, and then call it the "The Realistic Michel Bay mod" or something :D (Not trolling, for real)

4. Malware Master Engineer

You say that as if it's the official explanation... ;)

It's not officially explained. A vacuum system won't be exact enough for the oh, so many different kinds of items it moves. It is established in the game that gravity based systems uses gravity components - the conveyors don't. So... it's an "indeterminate but highly accurate method of transportation, not described" :p

Why?

Don't try to explain the potential for explosions, that's just asking for counter-arguments. Explosive conveyors aren't really realistically plausible so don't bother trying to explain it scientifically, just do it and enjoy Because Fun :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Well, what about an actual conveyor belt for example? Yea, I know, not realy an option in a 0G-enviroment. I imagin the transport system to use toothed belts and gearwheels on racks that contain the transportet items.

Yea, so more sucking than blowing, but you still need an amount of air to get any movement out of the system, because Vakuum moves nothing

When I read this initial post I can't help myself but imagin a black powder fuse...

6. reeverdark Trainee Engineer

That's the idea. A chain reaction, like watching a crude oil or raw gas pipeline go up (like in the movies...).

Is there anyone interested in taking up this idea?

7. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

build war heads into everything. a script then gives all warheads a lottery number, lottery is drawn once every hour, just configure the chances of winning. e.g 1 in 50 chance to win the warhead lottery. if no warheads are found.. all power sources are turned off.. if a warhead is more than 10 blocks from another warhead its chance of winning is trippled.

8. reeverdark Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately that's outside the scope of what i'm looking for. I mean, the effect i'd like is simply an explosive conveyor tube, in while the explosive damage is one block out from it, and that any adjacent tube will get killed, and then explode as well due to them having a lower durability value. This only applies if the tube is physically destroyed, and i feel would act batter as a linear chain reaction. I'm not mod expert, but isn't there a way to change the prototype (no idea what you call them in the SE files but anyhoo) of the "conveyor tube" to have an explosive value as an inherent attribute?

9. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Malware I meant in real life it is a vacuum-based system that is used, I did not mean in game. :) I am sure there may be other means used in real life, but in general, the most common method used for moving mail, money tubes at the bank and etc.

Not sure how that came off as being an official explanation though. :)

10. Malware Master Engineer

Me misreading the tone of your post :p

11. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

They use electrostatic fields. Works better in zero gravity, but it still works in gravity. Takes a lot of power. It's possible that if one had a catastrophic failure it might vanish in a bright electric blue plasma flash that you wouldn't want to look at or be standing next to.

There would probably be some lightning bolts as well, and maybe a puff of smoke.

12. reeverdark Trainee Engineer

Still no takers? I think this would be a wonderful mod to play with along side other explosive mods :D

13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Heck, it’s a feature of Space Engineers already. It used to be that if a component got damaged, and after it was rebuilt, it would self-damage again and eventually destroy itself. Ah...the good old days!

14. reeverdark Trainee Engineer

Yeah but would it damaged surrounding entities? I mean thats the point of this mod idea after all. A chain reaction. If one tube is destroyed, it blows up, the tube next to it will get destroyed because of it even if that tube was at full health.

15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, when a repaired component would self-damage, it would also damage adjacent components...sort of a cascading event. But I haven't seen that behavior in some time now. Like I said, what you're looking for was originally a "feature."

16. reeverdark Trainee Engineer

I've had SE since before it had survival and i can't remember it being at the level i have in mind, but then again i was busy playing with gravity and mining ships at the time (https://steamcommunity.com/id/Reeverdark/myworkshopfiles/?appid=244850).

Still even if it was, i'm wanting it at some Michel Bay Levels of dramatic! This Needs to be in SE again!