Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Modified and upgraded spawn ships

Discussion in 'Survival' started by gompasta, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. gompasta Apprentice Engineer

As the spawn ship is a fully contained unit, with everything you need, it is not really necessary to abandon it for another one. Rather than create a new ship, it is common for people to upgrade them, adding new features or functions. Perfect for the space-hobo style gameplay!

Show the picture of your upgraded ships, and list the additions/modifications!

[​IMG]

Added:
    • Ore Detector
    • Item hopper, usually to collect ore
    • Beacon builder
    • Merged Business Shipment cargo ship, for the large reactor and solar panels
    • Merged Mining Carriage, for the storage capacity
    Done on realistic-all settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  2. TheNirl Trainee Engineer

Well I don't have one, but allow me to say I'm stumped at how you managed to take that train wreck and turn it into something that's actually pretty :woot:

3. Captain_Brian Apprentice Engineer

Great looking ship! Do you have thruster damage turned off?

4. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

aside from the issue that most servers will de-spawn the spawn ships as soon as you log off, fine idea. mine had been upgrades with drills and things, it didn't matter. gone.

5. gompasta Apprentice Engineer

Nope! Thrusters have been replaced to prevent thrust contacting the ship

If you dock the ship to a station through merge blocks, or change the ship enough, this problem wont happen, as it is no longer recognised as the spawn ship.

6. tachyon Trainee Engineer

Does this really work? Is there a determinate way to make the starting ship a persisting player ship?

7. gompasta Apprentice Engineer

I believe this is a feature intentionally added upon the addition of Merge Blocks, and the ship will persist indefinitely.

8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I didn't know that, decided I'm just never taking the risk again. It's small enough I'd rather just grind it down and rebuild, especially when it's so easy to drop down a station block+projector.

9. muffins Trainee Engineer

This is as far as I got modifying my spawn ship before I found a space station with a whole warship docked to it. Now I just use it to detect ores after parking the larger ship next to an asteroid.

[​IMG]

Extra thrusters, ore detector, more storage, hopper and roomier interior. I got rid of the annoying door and added a landing platform to make up for my poor jetpack control :)

10. Latsabb Senior Engineer

I made a new asteroids world with 10x just for fun. Even so, I found myself easily mining out more than I could process, so I kept adding more arc furnaces and refineries. The worst part is that I still have more ore than I can refine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Raeffi Trainee Engineer

My upgraded spawn Ship (dont have too much time so i use x10)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. nobodx Senior Engineer

Isn't that the idea behind the starter ship in survival ?
    You're lost somewhere in mid-space with barely anything, so you have to upgrade your (starter) ship.

Btw, merging a temporary ship with a station is enough to prevent it from deletion.
    And if you grind down some of the blocks you should have enough to build 1station block + 2 merge blocks.
    I added 3 pistons to my starter ship,2 forward to a welder / grinder an 1 downwards with an advanced rotor and large drills to mine.

13. DarkRubberNeck Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    I wanted something simple that I could just add a projector to the top of the ship then build it up

14. Echillion Senior Engineer

Nice DarkRubberNeck :) Reminds me of a space bee :)

15. estile606 Trainee Engineer

ive only had the game about a month now, so I cant build very well. as such, my base is a modified spawn ship with a modified private sail and mining carriage merged on
    [​IMG] works surprisingly well, though I plan to add more gyros and a pair of solar "wings" for more power and maneuverability

16. tcmreaper Trainee Engineer

nice ship u have there
    i like to build stations but maybe i will try to build a ship and "live" on it...
    good work

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.