Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

MODS SITUATION UPDATE (8-7-2014)

Discussion in 'Questions and Suggestions' started by voicesdark, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. voicesdark Senior Engineer

So Steam Workshop Mod Integration was added today for those of you that don't already know. This comes with a few problems that need to be addressed (by the community not the devs) so I'm going to outline them here so:

1) The manual instillation method for mods no longer functions the way it did in v 1.038. This is because of necessary changes to the mod loading structure for steam workshop integration. Any mods still using this method should be removed from your mods folder and discarded, only leaving mods downloaded from the steam workshop.

2) There are several older mods that have not been updated in a long time and their authors have been inactive for an extended period of time and have not responded to messages requarding the state of their mods. This has lead to several people in the SE community to attempt to convert the mods themselves and then upload them to Steam.

I want to point out that while some of these individuals have done a good/decent job of this, there are many others that have uploaded these "updates" with a number of errors.

Since I have permission to modify the mods from them being in the AAA SE modpack, Embershard and I are working together on getting all of these "legacy" mods properly converted to the new system and they will eventually be uploaded as an "Archival Set", however this will take a week or so to finish everything.

In that time I respectfully suggest you only subscribe to mods that were uploaded by the actual mod author, or a mod author you trust and know their quality.

2. DuneD Junior Engineer

Well, If you are in contact with them, ask them what they did to the mwmbuilder, maybe its not the fact that the game cant find the mod folder and hashing the cubeblocks file with the mod entries. The fact the new mwmbuilder weights a bit more, like 100kb (its a lot in coding terms), seems to me like they did some changes on how the engine reads models and textures, might be a good place to start.

3. DeadWeight4U Junior Engineer

I would like to know... also... just because... :p

4. voicesdark Senior Engineer

Is it possible the changes in the MWMbuilder are just for the pistons, blast doors, changes to rotors, etc. and that's what added the additional file size?

5. freeskier93 Trainee Engineer

What was weird for me is Thursday after the update I could play the game just fine, mods just didn't load. Then yesterday I went to play and the game wouldn't load. Today same thing so I went and looked at the log and exceptions were being thrown regarding mods. I deleted all the mods and removed all my saves that used mods and verified game integrity. Found 74 files to re download. After doing all that the game will now load.

6. voicesdark Senior Engineer

Might have been something with the hotfix they applied to fix a few things and attempt to fix the mods

7. MSI Junior Engineer

:( Guess I'll wait a few more days...

8. voicesdark Senior Engineer

Hopefully Monday they'll have a new hotfix to apply, otherwise worse case we might have to wait until the major patch on thursday.

9. DuneD Junior Engineer

Yes, my guess is for blast doors, but that doesnt change the fact that the whole mwm structure needs to change. Maybe thats why some models load just fine and some others dont. We just need to know wtf they changed in order to correct it.

10. voicesdark Senior Engineer

yeah a full and accurate change log would be nice.

11. DuneD Junior Engineer

Also im getting some odd results trying to patch models, indeed very odd. I think I figured out why they dont use the alpha channel for transparency, they use it for ghost objects. I get this weird results when I try to add a "particle" texture to the game, when the ghost shows fine, but when I place the object the texture doesnt show as it should. I'm getting closer to an answer tho, I think there is a way to build a mwm without an actual model, just materials, using either the HOLO technique or the AlphaMasked (used for ghost objects). I need to do some testing, but I think the problem I've been having all along is trying to build a mesh with a texture that doesnt fit for a mesh.
    So basically build a material without a mesh (somehow like the laser turrets work, or the skybox).

So many possibilities, I actually pulled a kind of nebula using this method, but it only shows before placing the cube (as an alphamasked object).

12. voicesdark Senior Engineer

UPDATE: Keen did release another hotfix today (7-29-2014), however this hotfix was only for a couple of saving issues, so mods are currently still inoperable. At this point is appears the mods bug won't be addressed until Thursday.

13. Gilberreke Trainee Engineer

No changes were made to the Data folder, for those wondering.

14. DarkS33d Apprentice Engineer

Seems like a lot of unnecessary steps there. All I did was temporarily remove the mods folder from the appdata/roaming/spaceengineers directory and simply not load any save files with mods. Now, I assume if we were really desperate we could edit the CubeBlocks.sbc and copy over models and texture like in the old days (aka just a couple of weeks ago). But I'm not too keen on doing that for all of the mods I've amassed.

15. voicesdark Senior Engineer

Okay I'll regurgitate this one more time.

In order to move all of the mods back to the old system for the couple more days it'll take for Keen to push out the fix that will restore mods loading properly that would require every modder to rebuild every single .MWM other wise none of the textures will load properly. There's also errors with certain files not modifying correctly because of the pathing system bug so even if everything was converted over there would still be some critical errors.

The time and effort it would take to reconvert everything back over just for a day or two and then simply be tossed away isn't worth it which is why we modders haven't done it. Keen will get the mod loading bug issue resolved as soon as they can.

16. K9K | KaMiKaZuU Trainee Engineer

I´ll keep my fingers crossing for you so much! This awesome work of all modders have to be continued! Without you it´s just Space minecraft!

17. Lunarman Trainee Engineer

Indeed, mods have come quite a long way. At first I was skeptical, seeing as how none of these new blocks added new functions. Now I am amazed at how disheartened I am at their loss. Good job modders, and I hope this issue is resolved soon.

18. voicesdark Senior Engineer

UPDATE: Update 1.041 was released today and while there is a long list of bug fixes, unfortunately the pathing system errors that were introduced with last week's update were NOT among the fixes for this week. Last week I asked everyone not to flood the Devs with messages about the mod loading bugs, this week I'm asking you to so hopefully they'll finally get addressed.

19. Denesta Trainee Engineer

They did something to it this week. It is even worse. :woot:

Duri said in the update thread that they are working hard on it though.

20. Shadow_Flux Apprentice Engineer

<table cellspacing="0" width="100%" border="0" class="post_body" cellpadding="0" style="table-layout: fixed; color: #000000; font-size: 13px;"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 6px; border: 0px; background-color: #f7f7f7;"><a rel="nofollow" style="color: #3b5998;" target="_blank" name="90"></a><a rel="nofollow" style="color: #3b5998;" name="post1283751291" target="_blank"></a> Posted 6 minutes ago</td><td style="padding: 6px; border: 0px; background-color: #f7f7f7;" align="right"> #90 </td></tr><tr id="post_date_divider_row"><td style="padding: 6px; border: 0px; background-color: #f7f7f7;" colspan="2" valign="top"><hr class="post_date_divider" size="1" /></td></tr><tr><td style="word-wrap: break-word; line-height: 1.6; padding: 6px; border: 0px; background-color: #f7f7f7;" class="post" height="100%" colspan="2" valign="top">So sorry for the still-broken mods, will be fixed soon. Working on it hard.

21. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

True story :thumb:.

22. voicesdark Senior Engineer

I'm starting to think the delay in the mod loading error patching is because they're working on converting the g-menu into a tab system. They've done it this week with the toolbar and converting over the g-menu especially with the definitions and blockpositions could cause quite a few hiccups in trying to do so.

23. Rosenkranz Apprentice Engineer

Would be nice if they could communicate the nature of the issue. I mean, they obviously want to support mods but then a few weeks (months?) later the utterly break it.

Most of us are fairly well read, so it's not like even a techy explanation would go completely over our heads. Even if it did, the more knowledgeable modders would likely break it down for those of us that didn't get it.

24. voicesdark Senior Engineer

I definitely agree, more information about the issue and why it's taking so long to fix would be nice.

25. JTMC93 Apprentice Engineer

Well looking at it from a functional artisan's perspective. It might be in the communities best interest to take a page from their actions with the Multiplayer code and roll-back and continue on with how it was done that way the mods can continue to be used and tested out for any bugs while we wait for the system to either get repaired or overhauled.

Making progress is better than sitting around with one's hands going idle.

After all there could be a possibility that the reason it was broken in the first place was because, like some other features in the game, the mod support was just a temporary fix to make the community get a better picture of what the final product would be.

26. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

The game is hashing the mods but not placing them into the G-menu.
    It seems to be hashing all the mods two or three times from viewing the game log.

27. MSI Junior Engineer

I don't get a crash anymore upon start-up but nothing populates in the G-menu or in-game either. Hey at least the game runs right now - I can test ideas.

28. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Yeah, I seem to have encountered an issue where I get no information in the log as to why my mod stuff isn't loading.

29. Embershard Senior Engineer

:rof: They got tired of all the crash reports from mods. The game probably simply passes over anything in the mod folder that causes an exception.

Put the definitions directly into the vanilla cubeblocks file, will force a crash and generate a log.

30. macrixen Trainee Engineer

well technically they solved the crash issue then lol

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.