Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Moments of Terror - When stuff goes wrong in Space...

Discussion in 'Survival' started by montanakennedy, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. montanakennedy Trainee Engineer

I couldn't find the old thread of things that went wrong while playing. So, here we go with a new one.
    This occurred yesterday morning while I was streaming...

About 0:45, the following comment came in from one of the viewers: "RIP ship"
    He was wrong...
    I would love to see what has gone wrong in your game!

2. Shortsonfire79 Trainee Engineer

Well first this happened a few days ago. Nothing too too bad.

And then this happened about 10 minutes ago. My ship in progress... :(

Thankfully I saved right before that happened, though.

3. muffins Trainee Engineer

Testing out a craft I had built. The turning/breaking ability was much poorer than I expected and I impacted an asteroid. The engines survived so I stuck a new cockpit on the remains so I could get it back home.

[​IMG]

4. Shortsonfire79 Trainee Engineer

Thats a sad outcome... :( But so hilarious! :rof:

5. Wizlawz Master Engineer

wow yer crashed ship looks like yer flying a roid....

6. XiCynx Trainee Engineer

I think the biggest issue from the first video is the 9FPS, I wouldn't be able to control anything playing with a slideshow like that. Oh buddy! :woot:

7. montanakennedy Trainee Engineer

Yep. Crap video card produces crap video. :)

8. Chojun Apprentice Engineer

Lol I have this very agile small attack ship and a bunch of slower, clunkier utility ships. I had been flying my utility ships around all day and needed to resupply my attack ship. I hopped in and gunned it directly into my base, destroying it and most of my ship (it accelerates very fast).

What's more, the game autosaved right when my ship plowed into my base.

9. verticalspeed Apprentice Engineer

OP was so frustrating to watch..... Not because of what happened, but because it could have been solved in 30 seconds instead of 12 minutes.

10. montanakennedy Trainee Engineer

Honest question: how would you have resolved this in 30 seconds, short of exiting and reloading or jumping into SEToolbox?

11. ndwar Apprentice Engineer

Really? Landing padded ship, dock with the other ship, let gyro stabilise the other ship. Carry on building.

12. Chojun Apprentice Engineer

This - although it can be a bit sketchy if the ship is spinning fast.

13. montanakennedy Trainee Engineer

That was the problem - catching the spinning ship with landing gear.

At first I forgot the drill ship was incomplete, having previously removed the back half with the thrusters, gyro, etc. I started after the ship, forgetting it was crippled already.

14. ndwar Apprentice Engineer

The ship was spinning more then slowly enough for you to catch up to it in the ship you was in, dock and slow it down. I've caught more violently spinning ships using cargo ship: Mining Hauler before. Lost two of the four landing gears, but point is it would have been easy for you to do with the ship you jumped into.

15. montanakennedy Trainee Engineer

So, it's not that I was doing it wrong, it's just tha I don't have your mad pilot skills?

16. ndwar Apprentice Engineer

No one said you was doing it wrong, just going slowly. Also to stop that ship wouldnt take mad pilot skills, boot up a creative and have a go yourself, its not actually as hard as you think.

A good holder type ship is basically a cockpit, 3 landing pads directly within view, a few gyro's, and a dozen thrusters. Connect it to something you want to stay still and the ship will slow things down to manageable levels. Very useful in construction.

17. montanakennedy Trainee Engineer

Trust me - I have done it a bunch of times in creative mode - both captures and playing with landing gear to hold ships. It's not hard. Neither is getting a grip on something with a purpose-built ship.
    However, if you are in survival and you are not making ships for anything other than grinding, welding, and mining, you tend to skip past holder ships.
    The reason that I made the comment about thinking I was doing it wrong was that, based on some of the above comments, I thought there might have been some grand secret I hadn't cottoned onto yet...

18. ndwar Apprentice Engineer

Well you did jump in a ship with a landing gear. Thought that would have been fine...

There is no real grand secret, just differing of opinions. At the end of the day, as long as the ship is saved, who really cares?

19. bla363 Trainee Engineer

The other day i wanted to take over a mining hauler.. survived the guns, get into the cockpit.. wanted to get down the elevator, bad cam angle.. so i tried to turn myself inside the shaft.. bad idea... just died but hadnt know the cause.. so tried it again.. died again... ok get into the ship a third time, grabbing the most valuable stuff, died a third time.. thus climbing up the shaft... so what did i do.. grinded a hole into the floor and bam.. easy access!

So next time.. dont try to turn yourself sideways inside a elevator shaft.

20. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

I didn't notice that one corner of my welding ship (that was made of heavy armour) was dragging on the massive structure I was welding (which was light armour and grinders) I went along the entire row before I notice the giant tear in both the hull of the ship and all the work I'd just done. While trying to find alt to move the ship camera to get a better look I accidentally hit my inertial damper button (turning them off). Deciding that I need to place a huge number of blocks I hop out of the ship (as I was just finishing parking - so it was still moving) then place the blocks and turn around to hop into my ship, only to notice it was no longer there (it'd taken me about 20 minutes to replace everything)

I should have built a beacon on the damn thing and made the edges sloped so there'd be less chance of it getting caught on something.

Ah well, we learn through experience and failure.

21. ndwar Apprentice Engineer

All my ship designs come with at least one beacon in it, especially the welders. Fill them full of metal, get them sliding along a base, and leave them to do massive rows of armour at a time while I sort something else out. Come back to them later miles away still trying to weld open air!

22. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

Yeah I was kicking myself for not putting one in, it was entirely an oversight. Once did that with my base, hijacked a cargo ship and then realised I couldn't see where my station was.

23. ndwar Apprentice Engineer

Yeah... If we all haven't done that at least once...
    You just think to yourself, "It's a massive ship I'll easily see it!" But render distance has a cut off, and 3D flying is difficult to map in your head with open space.

24. Polenicus Apprentice Engineer

I was playing on Survival on a multiplayer server, and was rather proud of myself. Having been very successful at piracy, I had acquired four Mining Haulers, two Mining Transports, a Military Minelayer, and a Military Transporter, and welded them all together into an amalgam ship that served excellently (And still does) as a base of operations, while only needing a fraction of the time to build. However, a fraction of the time is still a lot of work, and so I built some workpods to help.

I had left all three of these pods (Two welders and a Grinder) in my bay for the night, it's cargo pod full of a recently consumed Mining Carriage. I logged back on after the recent landing gear update to find my Grinder pod was rattling. All of them had docking clamps engaged, and I hadn't moved the ship since logging off, but it seems I had bumped the Grinder when landing one of the Welders, and instead of that small force dissipating, it had been recycling and building all night.

I frantically hopped into the cockpit, hoping to save my poor Grinder. Before I unlocked the landing gear, I fired up the reactor, and this was my downfall.

As soon as the reactor came online, the inertial dampeners did too, and did their best to try and combat the rattling - Which only made it worse, and added that last little bit of energy needed to push the landing gear past critical. There was an explosion, I was killed, and both the Grinder and one of the Welders ended up in pieces on the far side of the three hauler-wide bay, their cargo pods destroyed. The bay itself took surprisingly little damage, but I was cleaning up bits of Workpod for a couple of days.

25. OracleTX Apprentice Engineer

I was tearing apart a gyro above my captured mining hauler while scrapping another ship, and I'd rigged some ramps channeling parts down to some collectors, and miscalculated my storage space. A few hundred steel plates cut through the ramp like a hot knife through butter, and it stopped about half way through the mining hauler, right next to the refinery. It took an hour or so to get everything put back together.

26. Mr Chubkins Trainee Engineer

I decided to go about welding my 342-panel solar array, which is attached to my base by a rotor (so the array can face the sun). I forgot to power my station and I bumped into the array with my welding ship, sending the thing careening into space and swatting away all my ships like flies.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.