Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

money

Discussion in 'General' started by vetranofwar, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. vetranofwar Trainee Engineer

will a money or currency system be added to the game later on? so players can buy and sell parts or ships. it would be cool to run a factory that you built custom ships for and sold them to players.

2. Evito Apprentice Engineer

A form of automated vending machines would be great. Setup a station and people could buy your wares from the hangar/docking area.

3. Devland99 Trainee Engineer

I bet you these materials from their wiki will be great preferably Iron since it would be pretty abundant and the Diamonds of this game is going to be water, frozen water :p
    http://spaceengineerswiki.com/Raw_Materials

4. vetranofwar Trainee Engineer

im working on a design for a space crane or something like it. what im planning is to pretty much have a mobile city that people can rent to build their ships or order ships. im making it mobile so i can move straight to an asteroid and drop drill ships instead of them having to make a farther trips every time an asteroid runs out of ores. right now the size it is. it can fit about 4 of the red ships from the easy start worlds in its crane for repairs and make a pretty good size ship if someone wanted to buy it.

5. Devland99 Trainee Engineer

UCA-CGE Alliances already has its ships designs :p

6. KriegsMeister Apprentice Engineer

I think it would be pretty cool, especially if they added AI into the game and when they add in multiplayer so that we could get good trade functionality so that maybe you found a crap ton of iron you don't need, so you go trade it at the nearest trading post for some gold and titanium

7. Devland99 Trainee Engineer

Or, or some delicious water since that'd have to be the diamonds of this game, I'd totally block off entire sectors for water :woot:

8. Faeron Trainee Engineer

I think it's a novel idea, but what possibly could we purchase using money other than other peoples' creations? (Which can be found free on the workshop)

The only thing I can think of would be aesthetically or statistically improved gear sets or pieces of special equipment (like an advanced miner that takes up two weapon slots).

Maybe if we could use a creation tool to build our own guns and weapons? A-la a MAC gun, or something small like a handheld rocket launcher?

9. Evis Apprentice Engineer

Money?

Next thing you know we'll need XP so we can pay for coloring blocks and space socks.

10. mitchismellon Trainee Engineer

The thing with a game like this is that it is a creation game. currency implies that there are stores and other places to spend credits. what about resources? Uranium or hydrogen for the reactors. lead, iron, carbon, oxygen. to build objects and make atmosphere for the astronauts.

11. Nivve Apprentice Engineer

I think money is a given and is already planned. I can't believe the dev would not think about the possibility that some people cannot grind for steel 8 hours a day while others do.

12. Dcjxd Trainee Engineer

Theres no real reason to implement some form of forced universal currency, as in most cases the basic principles of capitalism will likely kick in. Look at minecraft, where players found quite a bunch of different currencies (there even was a industrial mod where coins would be made out of metal und therefore had a real equivalent value)
    If something is extremely rare or extremely abundant but also important in construction, its likely to become currency, just like gold once whas before it was replaced with paper money and it's exchange value. But thats just a guess ;)

13. Oselotti Junior Engineer

Also if there is money it must be useful both in single playing and multiplaying game. Personally I don't care of money but if you like it that's ok for me.

14. Mefistofeles Trainee Engineer

<div id="gt-src-p"><div id="gt-src-wrap"><div id="itamenu">Like where will the money come from?? Will be purchased for real currency like 'Pay to win' where the rich kid per thousand real dollars/euro can buy materials or currency for the construction of biggest, most powerful warship?

Big NO from me.
    </div></div></div>

15. Nivve Apprentice Engineer

No to a pay-to-win system or money in general?

I would like money in-game. Especially when you can sell/buy blueprints, get fees for dry-dock services, get paid for mercenary work, buy complete ships, etc.
    It is the same reason why money exists in the real world; Not everyone wants all your iron ore (even though it's value could be high) for all these things, since they may have tonnes of those.

It makes everything so much simpler with no additional cost (in my opinion)
    In multiplayer you could have the system all mmos use; Have basic shops which are overpriced and don't buy your stock for much. This can generate a money supply. Additional stations services (faster construction and such) can be a money drain.

16. Mefistofeles Trainee Engineer

Implement the money in the game means that they can be buy (because they have to come from somewhere), what turns multiplayer in competition 'who spends more dollars on the game'.

17. Nivve Apprentice Engineer

I am still wondering whether you are afraid of pay-to-win or the money in general...
    Not every game with gold/credits/dollar/units in it requires you to actually buy it with real money. That is only a recent development due to the free-to-play games...

The money can simply be earned by mining and selling the ore/products. Or you can have another system for the time-handicapped people. I don't see how in-game money necessarily means that you have to buy it with real money..

18. Mefistofeles Trainee Engineer

These two things go together,even if not from the beginning, it ends up as 'Pay to win' which means that the richest kid owns in multi. And that's why I am opposed.

19. Dcjxd Trainee Engineer

It can only end up as Pay to win if the only/easiest way to acquire advanced tech is through money, real money, which will unlikely be part of the game. "Money" as in some form of acknowledged exchange material can not and will not lead to that, if trade only happens between players and maybe some NPC's (and even in the latter case, you have to sell something to the NPC to get money, which you don't save like it's gonna be the apocalypse but invest it again in other materials your local environment may be missing)
    If someone offers me hardwares or services for example, they will certainly prefer money as their payment, which they will in turn invest in repairs, fuel and ammunition (if they are a PMC protecting your cargo hauler)

Sounds like you've made bad experiences in other games, which I understand, but this is not World of Tanks or any other of these milking machines.

20. rhine SE Wiki Owner

I bet, as the game increases in complexity and support for modding grows, players will be able to mod this into the game itself =)

21. Havreboll Trainee Engineer

Why not stick to simple barter system? You need iron i need water, lets trade?

22. Littlepip Trainee Engineer

Only issue I see with a money system is when so much of it gets into the system it can cause inflation I see this on alot of minecraft servers.

23. Nivve Apprentice Engineer

Because there is a reason why money was 'invented'. What if I need water and I only have helium? He may not have any use for helium.
    If you don't want to be busy with finding barter partners 70% of your time, money is ideal so traders can do that for you.

I hope the actual combat and crashes will be the money sink. So mining will be the influx of 'money' (or at least, the influx of value), while crashing leads to losses.
    I think it already currently shows not everything of a ship can be salvaged after damage.

Especially a npc shop and/or fees for faster construction could be additional measures to combat it.

24. King_GameSlayer Trainee Engineer

I could see money becoming popular by allowing players to purchase certain uncraftable upgrades to the ship, possibly only for vanity because i want everything to be craftable in this game

25. Ironmike Apprentice Engineer

I do not think money needs to be developed in the base game - Im sure an add-on will be made for server owners to implement on MP servers.

In a SP game, all money does is let you buy stuff that you do not feel like making/gathering in game - which in a making/gathering sandbox game kinda defeats the purpose of playing it at all lol.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.