Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Monoprop RCS. Please.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Captain Lackwit, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Captain Lackwit Trainee Engineer

Please? I'm tired of ravaging my walls like a starving man given a steak. It's absolutely obnoxious to just... Destroy everything I barely touch thanks to my BEEG RUSHUN NOOKLEUR THRUSTORS GLORY TO ARSTOTZKA ENJINZ.
    Loud stereotyping aside, seriously. I want to be able to land my ships again, but not at the cost of... Well. The ship I'm landing in. Little thrusters- please. PLEASE. It cannot possibly be that hard to implement, can it? You could seriously just borrow the code from the already existing thrusters and assign it to a smaller object that doesn't destroy anything. As for placement, think wall lights for fighters.

Which, I'd suggest wall lights for fighters as well. No reason not to.
    But seriously, can we just get some -working- RCS in this game?

2. Conradian Moderator

This has been suggested before. Please add to those threads.

3. Captain Lackwit Trainee Engineer

And for a long time I imagine. So they're just not listening, then? Grand.
    (Where the hell are my ladders? Why are they still vacant?)

4. Conradian Moderator

They may be listening, but they likely have a general plan, and a general roadmap they're following. We might get them later because we already have at least one way of putting a craft inside a ship.
    I have a light armour hangar for my astrographic vessel, and by simple engineering (Nothing fancy tbh) and a little bit of good piloting I've never damaged my hangar at all.
    Ladders? If you mean the blocks, then ladders were removed due to gravity issues (Climbing up a ladder into a reversed gravity field for example).

5. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

IIRC they ditched ladders because of various glitches in their implementation. I'm certain that such a block will be added back in at some point.

As far as monopropellant goes; it might be simpler to have a low-power setting for thrusters wherein they don't produce a ton of force, but also don't do thruster damage - though any exemption to thruster damage runs the risk of re-introducing internal thruster stacking, so there's that. Maybe as an added rule, low-power thrusters can't be used for inertial dampening?

The devs have steadily been knocking off player requests with each update. Player suit colors was a recurring suggestion for quite some time, and has recently been added. A little patience goes a long way.

6. Captain Lackwit Trainee Engineer

I know, it's just kind of irritating that some of the simplest things just aren't being done.

7. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

It's our job as alpha testers to highlight what some of those "simple" things are - tons of design processes, game development included, tend to give their developers and planners "tunnel vision" in regards to the primary goals. Details are usually the last thing to be prioritized. Things like the ten-page solar panel thread do get their attention, however.

As far as details go, however, you're right to highlight this one as it's a low-hanging fruit. Maybe not the brand-new-block part, though.

8. Malware Master Engineer

Yes, please give us a brand new block part, a 1-block thruster. I know there is a mod, but they don't have the thruster glow and that puts me off. Also I prefer not using mods.

9. DJToxica Apprentice Engineer

I don't really understand the problem...
    I made different ships with hangars and made landing platforms always from heavy armor.
    Never had any problems with thruster damage.

One think i would really appreciate, is to stop asking for more types of the same block. Yeah it would be cool to have 20 types of thrusters with different stats, but thats something for a later development step.
    I would prefer a working netcode, factions, npcs and that stuff...implementing new blocks is not that hard and we could get tons of them (what som modders are showing us) but there are things which are more important.

10. Malware Master Engineer

I completely agree with the priority you list, DJToxica, but that don't stop me from wanting alternate thruster styles. The ones we have take up too much room for compact ships, and make it hard to make small compact docking bays. I don't need to get it NOW however :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.