Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Most secure method for hangar lockdown

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Jarin, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

Yay, Pressurised carriers!

2. DON78 Trainee Engineer

true true ... the biggest advantage of maglocks against vanilla landinggears ist, that you can have more space between ship and station (or an other ship). So if the docked ship starts shacking (and it is only a matter of when it will ;) ) there is enough space, that it doun't touches the other grid. I've gone about 1000 m/s with this method without any problems.

regards DON

3. Cy83r Apprentice Engineer

I've read the big sigged guide for landing gear, pistons, and rotors that the best way to avoid glitching gear is to use one on each ship regardless of size, so they're both landing on each other and actively maintaining connection instead of just one trying to do its thing while the other holds on relentlessly.

On the other hand maglock mod tractor beams are so much less of a hassle.

4. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

I used to have real problems with this. But since they made improvements to landing gear everything has been fine. I attach the fighters using their own landing gear, turn off the power and nothing seems to budge it then.
    I used to have grief with this as I like to use Gravity Drives on big ships. And I found the rediculous acceleration these could achieve would rip off anything attached (by whatever method) and these would then destroy my ship from the inside out. Since they fixed landing gears I have not had any issues, and in fact find landing gears to be better than connectors. (They are stronger, and you can turn off the power to the fighter without worrying about turning off the ship it's attached to).

5. Rocker[GRGC] Trainee Engineer

Yes, appears to be a moot thread. I link up a large cargo ship (six large containers filled with ore) to my heavy miner ship using two landing gear connected to a heavy armor beam and have not had an issue. I close down power so as to turn off gyros and dampers. Off I go... gradually adding thrust. Weeeeeee. And when I have to rotate a full ship, I kill the thrusters and move with stabilizers, making a change in course have less effects on other attached ships (?).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Large ship landing gear or the Maglock mod (or Maglock Mk II). Maglocks are better because each section is only 1x1 but each is also as strong as a landing gear. So 3 Maglocks will only take up as much horizontal space as a single landing gear, but are 3 times as strong and connect to 3 separate points on the other ship's hull. You wind up with a much stronger and more reliable system that is also much more compact.

7. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

I hate to necro the thread, but ...

I don't see it explicitly stated anywhere that you can't hold a small ship with a small ship landing gear. Just small with large or vice-versa. I've tested this by building a large-ish small ship with an attached drone and an adjacent small landing gear. The small landing gear makes contact with the drone when it is connected to the ship -- there appears to be physical contact -- but the landing gear never locks to the drone, even with Auto-Lock on.

I'm at work, so cannot provide a picture to explain what I am talking about. Have I just bumped into a long-known issue, or is this new?

edit: I'd like to do this using a completely vanilla setup, without mods, nice though Maglock is.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.