Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'General' started by Aptenodyte, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Aptenodyte Trainee Engineer

Hi,

So far I absolutely love this game and can't help but get on for multiple bursts during the day. Unfortunately I can't keep playing for more than 30 minutes at a time without take a break for awhile for my stomach to settle. Does anyone have any ideas how I can adjust the graphics or how I move in-game to help with the motion sickness? I'm going to keep playing no matter what, I just hope to be able to play for extended periods of time.

Thanks!

P.S. I have never had motion sickness issues with other games or movies, but in cars I have been prone to motion sickness if I read or watch anything.

2. Faeron Trainee Engineer

The same effect often happens to people who experience zero-g or feel vertigo during flights, maneuvers, or diving. It happens.

Most people also get used to it, the thing is to forget that there isn't a "horizon" or specific plane in space. A way to avoid it is to keep yourself on a plane while building, or building an artificial guideline on which way is up or down. I was a Green Beret, and I never had this problem but a lot of my squaddies did, you'll be fine.

3. Balmung Senior Engineer

I had Motion Sickness the first Time I played Minecraft. Every time when it goes very dark in the Game. So it could help make it a bit brighter. Also its better for me to play only in First Person, I bet its the Missing Fix Point that Faeron means, so when you be with the Camera near on a near object it is much better. And more Static Elements are also better, so more Displays like the Quick Slot Bar helps too.

And I know it sounds dumb, but when I reduce the FPS to 30 FPS it is also better. When I let run Minecraft with 60+ FPS all other Things didn't helped in Dark Scenes, I get Motion Sickness.

Motion Sickness is for Space Engineers a compliment, because that means that the Game is very immerse and the Devs have done a good Job. ;)

And Yes, I played many Games (at ~30 Years), very dark too and had never Problems. It seems there are a specific Type of View that makes Problems.

I know Motion Sickness in Cars very well, I too can't read/watch anything in a moving Car more than some Seconds.

4. RedPhoenix Moderator

Try lowering your Field of View. That might help.

5. KriegsMeister Apprentice Engineer

the main cause of the Motion sickness is because of disorientation caused by the lack of an actual Up and Down. Really the only way to fix this is to train your brain to not think about up and down or any sense of direction, it takes a while to actually do so but after playing the game for a few weeks or months you should be able to play in longer periods of tiem

6. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

I'm applying to be a pilot in the USAF... I'll need to keep that in mind. :woot:

@OP, do what Faeron said. I've been doing that since I started playing the game, so I can vouch for it. As soon as I am able, I put a grav gen on a large ship that I'm building, so I know which way is down at all times, and I try to build while standing on firm ground rather than on my jetpack unless I'm building the outside. first.

When building a small ship, I always build it within the vicinity of the little platform in "Survival" map.

This is why I never play the empty map... There's nothing there to help me orient myself.

7. Aptenodyte Trainee Engineer

Thanks for all the advice! I'll keep it all in mind while playing.

8. Hummy91 Trainee Engineer

I have the same issue sadly, played the game for the better part of the day and found my self feeling sick throughout. From my experience with gaming and motion sickness I can safely say it's the actual camera bob when moving on foot/inside a structure that causes it for me.

Mayhap in the future there will be a smooth camera animation toggle of some kind.

9. Blako Apprentice Engineer

O, there are two other threads where the bobbing camera when walking forward is enough to make people nauseous. I meet a guy elseware with the same dilemma.

I can not read in a car either. I can do these maneuvers all day in another game, and not get sick, but when I was in a (space) hanger that had both a floor and a ceiling, I hit Q to roll so I can work on the bottom.... Well my brain said the ceiling is the new floor and i got nauseous for 4 seconds. :D In all I am greatly enjoying flying in space where orientation is irrelevant (except for docking).

O there is something new... So we all work with 2D maps on a regular basis and some of us :crazy: have the ability to create a mental map based on places we have been. Well cave exploring in minecraft was the first place I had to create a 3D mental map in order to get multiple tunnels to intersect. Taking that idea to the next level, now I'm in space and my mental 3D map has no up :rof: Its a brain bender. :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.