Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Multiplayer Mechanics

Discussion in 'General' started by deedlede, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. deedlede Trainee Engineer

So, multiplayer. How big do you guys think servers should be? Should there be one, centralized EVE style server, or separate "Minecraft Style" dedicated servers with the only limit on players being the speed of the server? My hope is an EVE style server so our factions can actually have a purpose, without having to create "battle servers" so to speak.

2. GeneralApathy Apprentice Engineer

Coulda sworn the developers stated they were creating a server client that players could use to host their own servers and I agree with their choice in that regards.

3. deedlede Trainee Engineer

A problem I can see is these servers being created by every faction out there and no one ever really having a chance to clash. The only way I can see the faction system working is if there are large centralized servers to support large amounts of players. The only thing faction servers would be used for would be building and designing ships (in most cases at least). I've always thought of the game being played where players could interact with anyone, creating interesting situations. SE was bound to have factions/clans from the very start, but I don't know how they will be interesting without dynamic inter-faction relations and a "presence in the galaxy".

4. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

Welp, This game is dead just like that. Dozens of bad servers with nothing really that good and always people searching for that special something that will never come along..

and here i was hoping for a single universe and server of sorts.

5. deedlede Trainee Engineer

This is why I'm worried. This game won't work like Minecraft because there is too much of a PVP aspect built in. Having large capital ships will be pointless. Custom servers (or the majority at least) will be something like:
    ~~~~JOIN NOW - 1,000,000Kg LIMIT - PVP MADNESS!!! - FIGHTER ON JOIN!!!~~~~
    The majority of servers will be PVP battle servers with a cap of 64 players or so. I was looking forward to surviving with a large group of people and getting a system going in order to gain a foothold in the universe! I wanted adventure, and an infinite world of infinite possibilities! I wanted one, HUGE server, with 2000 Players mining over thousands of sectors, preparing for war, building a base! But it seems we will have none of that (unless of course the devs implement their own huge server, or someone takes it upon themselves to do so, granted they have the resouces).

6. hrdrok Apprentice Engineer

I am hoping, praying, they follow a different approach. Anyone can host a server that is networked with a Web of servers. A quick jump to hyper drive to take you from one server to the other. Major faction battles could take place in anyone's server at any given time.

7. deedlede Trainee Engineer

Now this is a good idea! I'm adding it to the poll.
    Edit: Nevermind, i cant it seems :(
    Loved your idea.

8. Chezzprinn Trainee Engineer

I really, really hope there are a least a few central, large servers. I don't mind the ability to create small servers given to players, but if the community becomes too fragmented, it'll die out. This game needs spectacular multiplayer experiences such as large battles to reel in more customers as players tell their friends about the game and how awesome it is.
    Small, custom servers would be good for players who just want to build with their friends, butwe really need large servers, whether they be private owned or owned by Keen itself.

9. Cyrus Deacon Trainee Engineer

I disagree completely. Minecraft has hundreds of bad servers and hundreds of good servers. Maybe thousands, I dont know the stats about it but i do know i have joined servers that are nothing but a bunch of griefers, and I have joined servers that are a bunch of awesome folks. If the server is bad, its the administrations fault. I completely support being able to host our own servers.

10. GeneralApathy Apprentice Engineer

Bingo! There will be many bad servers, but for every ten bad servers there's bound to be a good one.

I'd rather be able to host servers on my own end so I can play with my friends or share creations in private.

11. deedlede Trainee Engineer

S.E.A.R. is a faction though, right? What will your entire faction do when your in a server all by yourself. Sure you can share your creations, but after that, you'll have to find a bad PVP server to join if you want to interact with other players. There won't be servers that will have enough players to both fight and create in the same world, so a lot of what people are excited for in multiplayer won't happen. You'll never be able to experience a pirate boarding your ship and taking your resources. You'll be either fighting constantly or not fighting at all. You see videos by SAGE or LG or LSG and you hear them talk about these upcoming awesome PVP aspects, and their newest mother ship so they and their crew can combat other players, but it won't happen with small servers because communities won't know which server to play on to build their ships (no one wants to have to collect all their resources twice) and interact. Most people will stay on their small servers. This is why PVP in Minecraft isn't stellar. There is no drive to fight when on many dedicated servers. There is no drive to progress. You build your house and thats that, then you go do some silly minigame. Space engineers should be about the large conflics, otherwise, why the large ships?

12. GeneralApathy Apprentice Engineer

S.E.A.R. isn't a faction though; we've got lots of plans for private servers on our end, which is why I'm a big fan of the developer's route!

I agree that if I ever wanted to do PvP, finding another server might be more difficult, but I highly doubt it'll be impossible - like I said, there's bound to be good servers out there. I don't think I'll be doing large scale PvP though, nor do I think this game will be able to support it; it's just too resource intensive right now for large scale battles to work out. This could all change (who knows, just throwing some estimations out there), but I don't think that the game will be able to support more than 32 people at a given time.

13. Cyrus Deacon Trainee Engineer

I think you are incorrect. What is to stop S.E.A.R. AAC and DMC from being on the same server? Then there plenty of opportunities for all kind of fun. Youre assuming people arent capable of hosting awesome servers without the help of big brother to help us out. Ya know, because we as a community are too inept to do this right without their help.

To that I say: Give me the ability to host my own server and I will completely prove that wrong. I hope it is done in a way to allow a couple of hundred people on one server at a time. That would be awesome.

14. deedlede Trainee Engineer

I agree with you entirely. However, I pictured the servers to (at some point) resemble the server of EVE Online. i.e. A server on so large a scale it would be on the far reaches of the means of the community to create. Thousands of players spread across hundreds, even thousands of large sectors, so that could all reach each other and interact. These would be the ideal circumstance imo. I would give you the ability to host that server if I had the means, which I don't. Another problem with hosting awesome servers is they have to be advertised. Factions would have to agree to play on servers together. A central server or two would solidify the way factions interact. You won't have dynamic situations with small servers, players would just get into the grind of playing alongside/against other factions. It would be awesome to see large factions drawing in hundreds of players in game, not because they advertised online.

15. deedlede Trainee Engineer

Anyway, I'm retiring for the night. I'll check for replies in the morning.

16. Cyrus Deacon Trainee Engineer

Well I guess we shall see what happens. I am sure they are reading their forums. Hi Devs! :D

17. freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

Now that I think about it I would prefer a more eve online type of setup for multiplayer aswell.

18. deedlede Trainee Engineer

They better be! :wave:

19. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Personally I'm hoping a smaller servers we can host. Enables us to choose if we do co op or pvp style of gaming. I do not see this killing the game. (I think Valve did it well for Half-life mods.) Tho I am open for Huge MMO too. I do hope we can "fly" in our own ship in to these servers tho. Would enable faction warfare. Even if just 8 vs 8, it can be really fun battles if done right :cool:

Tho I will be more interested in peaceful co op play style. Pvp from time to time.

20. Azan Trainee Engineer

I don't think combat + massive time investiture in painstaking construction necessarily mix well, so I would prefer option 1. The way I see it, the game would have several modes and PvP would be a separate one and it would be up to the server host to determine the mode/scope.

Unless there is some way to properly protect things you and your friends are constructing on 'MMO' servers there is no way that model will be successful.

21. jimbobslimbob Trainee Engineer

As long as they give the players the "power", so to speak - I would be happy. I for one would love to host a server running this game. I really hope that's how it goes, because I am not a fan of the MMO-type way of doing things, it really limits the players as to what they can do.

It would also allow modded servers as well.

22. JamesL86 Senior Engineer

I think the primary means of PvP is going to be sort of "creative mode" battle matches. As soon as I read that the devs have no intention of hosting there own servers and that multiplayer would be done through Steam matchmaking, I thought back to all the hours I racked up in 4x strategy multiplayer games like GC 2 and Sword of the Stars. This is how I see multiplayer working *without* player servers. Since I never played minecraft, or any game with player servers for that matter, I can't speak to how that may work. What I DO wonder is if there could be a way to code the multiplayer to allow you to "visit" another player server with some of the stuff you have built.

I think the biggest mistake that a lot of people coming into this game have made is that they assume all this "awesome" multiplayer/persistent universe stuff that simply isn't true. Personally, the fact that the devs *weren't* specializing in a multiplayer experience is what ultimately tipped me over the fence into buying the alpha in the first place. If this had been laid out as a full on multiplayer game from the get go, I doubt I'd have bought it at all. I will continue to stick around as long as they don't change this into a "Lego Eve Online".

23. Azan Trainee Engineer

Usually a game gets picked up and supported by virtual server hosting companies, players then buy servers that are run on server farms and manage them through the use of online tools or remote access.

Alternatively sometimes people buy a dedicated server (which may still be in a server farm) and then set up multiple servers running off it or sell to other players of the same game.

Finally you just get people who host temporary servers off their own computers.

Costs vary with games a bit but for say a 16 player virtual server £10 ($16, 12 Euros) per month would be about average I would say. Often clans come together to share costs to pay for larger servers.

---------------

In terms of visiting other players with ships that seems to be suggested since blueprints is an inaccessible tab in the menu.

24. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

Well, How about they do this instead host a large eve online style server and give the ability for you to host you're own server as well.

25. Icon Trainee Engineer

I don't have many strong opinions about how multiplayer is going to be added to the game, but I do have few words so I'm gonna vomit them out in one message.

I really hope that minecraft style multiplayer is not even an option. It was so awful that I never ever ever ever played multiplayer in minecraft more than like couple of minutes few times a week to see how laggy and bad those servers were. Big no for that. (I do have gaming pc and over 20mbps of internet connection)

My suggestion are: Private survival servers with password protection and public servers which you can enter with your ship from legit private survival servers. Those public servers should have 0 customization options and they should be dedicated. Private servers could have some. There could be also private servers with massive amount of editable options but no possible way to connect with public servers.

26. Icon Trainee Engineer

This is a great example of what kind of multiplayer I hugely dislike. (no offense to the poster :D)

27. jimbobslimbob Trainee Engineer

Each to their own, and all that, but may I ask why? If it was done this way it would allow you to join a server that fits exactly what you want. You can go with a persistent world, a modded server, a vanilla server - anything.

Restricting the players in a game based around freedom of choice seems insane.

28. Soledron Trainee Engineer

I really want to be able to set up a small private server for me and about four of my friends. We have played a few hundred hours of minecraft this way and it has worked out really well.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to there also being an EVE online style server but the question that hasn't come up in this thread yet is who the heck is going to pay for it? Most MMO style games, including EVE, require a subscription service. Are you willing to pay a subscription every month to play this game online? I'm not.

29. deedlede Trainee Engineer

I don't mean "Lego Eve Online". All I meant was the size of the server being similar. Another solution I've heard is players allowing their servers to be "warped" into. Players could use a warp function to go to any server in the list with the ability to warp into. The player who is warping would have to be in a "warp server" in order to join other servers with their ship. You would be spawned in the other server near to players, but not so near that they can simply kill you on sight. I'm assuming this would only work with bigger servers, because of player limits if you were to allow factions to warp together, and due to some servers not having the kind of infrastructure one could achieve while playing with a faction.

30. JamesL86 Senior Engineer

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the multiplayer function will be kept as the exception rather than the rule. In my opinion this game would much better serve its original design intent if kept as a single player game with multiplayer option as opposed to the other way round. Nothing irks me more than finding a fairly cool game only to be ham-stringed into having to play it online (because that's where all the content is oriented)... Bleck :p This is why I hope that we will one day see NPCs in SE so at least some of the challenge will be there, without having to play with the "multiplayer people". You know the kind of people I am talking about. The kind of folks that you see on YouTube throwing all out temper tantrums like little spoiled toddlers every time they see someone doing something different from how they would do it. Trolls, Griefers, Psychopaths, they go by many names. Its so nice to be able to just play a game without having to wade through the sea of bull**** that comes with multiplayer.

On a side note... I will often go against the established convention in a game environment even IF it puts me at a disadvantage because I strongly dislike going with "...whatever everyone else does..." even if what they do does in fact work. I prefer to play the game the way I think it was intended as opposed to trying to find "exploits" and "work-arounds" etc.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.