Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Multiplayer, server, mechanics, how's it all going to work?

Discussion in 'General' started by zyphyer, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. zyphyer Trainee Engineer

Just thinking about this today how are we the consumers going to interact with online play? To get further into that I'm going to briefly elaborate to you guys what I would enjoy the most out of this sandbox game. Farm to build; always enjoyed this style of play as it allows players to start from the bottom and work they're way up. Not only does this help with the understanding of gameplay but, gives the player incentive to continue playing. Upgrading, refining and perfecting which ties into the farming. Player versus Player should be a bigger but optional element in this game. As a six year ex-WoW player I must have PvP and doesn't it just seem awesome? Flying around space blowing up stuff, pillaging, stealing and strategizing. I understand the people that just like to build, spent hours on Garry's Mod doing just that. Multiply all that by ten because of the physics engine and how the models break, it's simply exhilarating. I would like to keep my bases I've built on specific servers and this is where I got confused. How am I going to continue working on what I've built online? Importing blueprints from single player is just a bad idea and what if I build my base in a specific asteroid and it simply won't fit in any other? Spending hours on a base only to log back in to have it destroyed? Is it going to be a sitting duck while I'm away or Will turrets protect me? Will all the minerals I've farmed not be an actual physical object, instead it being something that persists through death? No thanks! Will we need to enter a clan to protect our assets? I'm not opposed to that idea at all in fact I think it would make for an awesome experience.

I know I jumped all over the place and there's a lot I probably haven't evaluated but, that's why I'm here! Let me know what you guys think.

-Zyphyer

2. King_GameSlayer Trainee Engineer

I think that multiplayer would strongly benefit from group exploration and combat, creating a faction and going in together all having a specific purpose like main pilot, repair men, combat pilots, and depending on the gun system you could drop off infantry into enemy "strongholds" that you may run across while smaller ships have a dogfight outside.

Also individual biomes would be nice, to be able to fly to an area with its own challenges and be forced into first/third person shooter mode to take down enemies and gather resources with drills and other things prepared before the adventure.

Blending these two together would make for GREAT multiplayer content...every player type has a job. And you could make specializations to the characters through some kind of "Enchanting" system to further decide who is piloting the large ship carrier and who pilots smaller combat ships by giving them 10% shields or maybe a speed bonus, possibly having a certain number of players could "level up" your large ship or space-station. The same can be said for infantry men too, adding a bonus to ammunition or resource collection would help make it a real team experience, and as any sci-fi fan will tell you, they always have a crew in space :)

Hope this helps with multiplayer decisions,
    King_GameSlayer

3. zyphyer Trainee Engineer

Darkfall: Unholy Wars was a great game, really grindy which is why I stopped playing; that's besides the point. The game was heavily based around clans and holdings. If you weren't in a clan you couldn't get anywhere. I'm not saying join a clan or die but, it made for a really fun and tactic based game. That sort of environment would fit Space Engineers setting very well.

4. Nivve Apprentice Engineer

I don't know that game, but I can see factions being important in protection against griefers and such. At the very least, of course they can do more :)

5. zyphyer Trainee Engineer

Exactly, take a look at it! Let me know what you think about implementing that sort of system.

6. KriegsMeister Apprentice Engineer

I am hoping for a combination of both to create a sort of cyclic play system on a server.

each player/clan starts off with few resources to design basic ships to explore and mine resources so that you can design and build ships for combat to protect and expand your territory to be able to collect more resources to design better mining and exploration and combat ships to expand further out and so on and so on....

a competitive cycle of growth and expansion would make for some very compelling and longlasting gameplay

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.